Thread: A Little Advice

RC Racer

A Little Advice

For those of you who are looking into purchasing or have purchased the Proline Protrac Suspension kit and wanting a set of CVDs to add to ensure the drivetrain can withstand the raw power of brushless while racing and taking some fairly large jumps. Make sure the ones you get fit. Installing a set intended for an electric rustler which are long enough to drive on but will pop loose upon a hard impact. Lesson Learned doing this cost me my first A-Main win. I landed somewhat sideways off of a jump and immediately lost power. Turned out my MIP CVD Popped out of the drive coupler. Now I've got Slash 4x4 drive shafts installed lets' see how those hold up. Just my $0.02 and some friendly advice
    I Have Discovered That Going Crazy Can Be Fun

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Are the slash 4X4 driveshafts any more durable than the 2X4 driveshafts? I was under the impression they are the same.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    The driveshafts are a little beefier and from what I've experienced with my 4x4 they can handle the velineons' power and the abuse of racing at my LHS.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rebuilt rusty
    The driveshafts are a little beefier and from what I've experienced with my 4x4 they can handle the velineons' power and the abuse of racing at my LHS.
    it might be because they are splitting the power from the motor between the front and rear wheels instead of just the rear.

RC Racer
    I forget who posted it or where it's posted but someone had a pic of a slash4x4 driveshaft and a slash driveshaft side by side showing the difference in the size. But the 4x4 driveshaft is somewhat beefier and has bigger pivot balls(balljoints). I'll find out just how much better it'll hold up at the next race(whenever i find out it is). I'll update afterwards.

RC Champion
    Are they a direct fit? It's kinda tight around the diff output yokes as it is already.

RC Racer
    The only side I had any problems or concerns about was the side the gear cover is on. Other than that it all bolts up like any other part.

RC Champion
    That's what I was thinking.. I am using the closed RPM cover, so that takes away even more space there.

RC Racer
    I've got the same cover but it looks like there's enough clearance. The driveshaft rotates freely anyway.

RC Champion
    Alright, good to know.

RC Qualifier
    im running 4x4 rear shafts in my 2wd on 3s with paddles and they have held up quite well, i broke both of the stock shafts within 20 minutes of upgrading to 3s and the 4x4 shafts havent broken since (about 15 packs - roughly 3 hours runtime)
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slasher77017
    it might be because they are splitting the power from the motor between the front and rear wheels instead of just the rear.
    It's a lot more traction though.
    I have monkeys dancing in my pants!!!

RC Champion
    I've updated both my Slash and Rustler to the 4x4 driveshafts. Tight clearance with no modifications to fit, but certainly stronger.
    / 16

RC Racer
    Good to know some guys have already done this and it's proven to work. Just had to do something to replace my MIP CVDs seeing as how their failure caused me to lose my first A-Main win.