Thread: brushless

RC Qualifier

brushless

Since i got my rustler, i have felt that my slash has gotten left aloneb . Well, I am going to change that now and get brushless! So, what is an equal performing bushless system compared to the vxl?
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

RC Qualifier
    another VXL!!!
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The truth is, there really isnt an exact replacement unless you go with an EZrun. The VXL is a 3600kv system (or is it 3500? Close enough) the closest competition is the Castle system which is 4600. The heavier slash benefits from a lower KV motor. A good combo would be the Mamba Max Pro ESC WITH the VXL motor. That way you could run more cells and have more control over the settings if thats what you want.
    EZrun makes a 3600kv motor you could combine with one of their ESC's. Probably an 80amp esc would be a good choice. But by the time you go this route you may as well just get the VXL, the price would be similar.
    There is also this setup, which is the same specs as the VXL but not waterproof. The price is amazing though... so it may be worth a look.

http://*********.com/*********/store...tem_3600kv/35A
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    the slash actually isn't as heavy as you think (not to be mean) what pavement surfer is true but it is fine to run the 4600kv on a slash, you probably wouldn't even have to mess with the gearing that much
    but the highest kv that i would recommend to run on a slash is the 5700kv at 3s lipo which you would have to mess with the gearing
    i have even tested to 7700kv but with that its pretty dumb because you have to run a 14 tooth pinion and a 90 tooth spur with only a 2s lipo and stil have to wait sometimes for the motor to cool below 200 degrees
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    No worries hurley. I dont have any direct experience with the castle setups in a slash. Im just going by what ive learned elsewhere. Most say the 4600 is enough for a rustler but the 5700 is a bit high for bashing as temps will climb quickly on 3S. I know you need to gear a VXL down a few teeth in a slash 2X4 (16/90 or 16/86 is what most reccomend) whereas you can run a 19 tooth in a rusty or pede with no issues. This just left me thinking a higher KV motor in a slash would again, need to be geared down even more, almost too low, if temps were an issue. Thats all, if it works, go for it. The castle systems are a great deal price wise IMO. I like the waterproof of the VXL but if I ever got more into tuning my brushless systems, id go castle in a second.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    yeah for sure, i wouldnt recommed the 5700 for the slash even though it runs without problems if you gear correctly

RC Qualifier
    yeah okay, I think I will just save up and get a used vxl on ebay. So while my rustler is out of commission, I think I will pop the vxl in my slash! so is there anything I will have to do? could I keep stock slash gearing?
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

I run 20/83 on my VXL motor in the slash and it does pretty good. But I also run an alum tranny to keep temps down. After about 18 minutes of running it's right about 130F on the motor.

I used to have a 4600 Sidewinder combo in it but it always ran hot even geared 16/86 on a 2s lipo so I switched the 4600 combo into my rustler and put the VXL in my slash, and it seems to be a better fit.

From my experience between the 4600 and VXL 3500 motor, the 3500 would be more practical for the Slash.

My VXL ESC is having some very early LVC problems (kicking in at about 7.2V) so I ordered another Sidewinder ESC to take care of it.

RC Qualifier
    hey would the stock rustler vxl gearing work good in the vxl slash?
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

RC Qualifier
    Okay, I think I will just run stock gearing and watch my temps. Okay, I am going to upgrade my slash!!!! I am getting the Ford F-15 Clear Body from proline. But how will I make it look just like the picture? I think that it looks awesome, so I really want it to look exactly like the website. Also, what wheels and tires are good from proline? And are bigbore shocks good? because i am having trouble with bent shock shafts.
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

I always ran 20/83 in my rustler and just transferred it over to the Slash when I put the VXL in the Slash. Yeah just start with whatever gearing you want and just check temps every 5 to 10 minutes. If the temps start getting high then gear down on the pinion a couple of teeth.

Yep big bores are good.

RC Champion
    with the vxl stock gearing willl be fine for sure i would only change unless your trying to get more speed or torque(acceleration in most cases)

this is how it goes (just in case you didnt know pinion is the smaller gear on the motor shaft, spur gear is the bigger gear usually connected to the slipper clutch assembly

higher toothed pinion=more speed, less torque, more motor heat
    lower toothed pinion=less speed, more torque, less motor heat
    lower toothed spur=more speed, less torque, more motor heat
    higher toothed spur=less speed, more torque, less motor heat

hope that gives you some gearing knowledge

RC Qualifier
    haha yeah hurley I know what the pinion gear is!
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

RC Qualifier
    So I broke part number 4628R.... It is the thingy that holds the ball bearing and connects to the drive shaft. So what is a upgraded version of that?
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

RC Competitor
    So lets say I wasn't paying 100% attention and purchased a MMPro and 5700kv combo and it's already on it's way to me so I can't do much about changing it now. What gearing should I be going for? Initially I'll be running just a 7cell 5000mah battery but I have both a 2s and 3s lipo on the way also. At this point, I've pretty much blown my cash on RCing, about the most I can get away with is changing my gearing as gearing isn't too pricey. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    What are some upgraded driveshafts?
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!