Thread: What to do?

RC Enthusiast

What to do?

I am torn between two scenarios. I have and extra $250 to spend on the slash. right now it is all stock. I really like the speed of the truck out of the box and don't need the top speed of the brushless. I think I want the brushless and keep running the regular batteries. I could get the brushless motor, one more battery, and some RPM A-arms and skid plates. On the other hand I would like to upgrade to a nice charger. I could get the Venom charger, another regular battery, and some RPM A-arms and skid plates. I am torn between the two. I deffinately need the RPM upgrades because I am an extreme jumper and am tired of buying a-arms and stuff everyother day. I would like to race in the out of the box class here locally so I have to keep that in mind. Any suggestions?

RC Qualifier
    lipo charger, 2s lipo, vxl, rpm, wheels and tires... that should put ya darn close to 2fitty. have fun!

-Mav
    ERBE
    Havoc 8.5t Slash
    SC10 VXL
    Bark River Slash

RC Enthusiast
    Where do you shop?
    Lipo charger-$145
    Lipo battery-$60
    VXL-$160
    Tires-?
    RPM-$30

where am I going wrong?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jwconnelly
    Where do you shop?
    Lipo charger-$145
    Lipo battery-$60
    VXL-$160
    Tires-?
    RPM-$30

where am I going wrong?

haha my luck, i cant find a lipo for under $90 and the VXL is like $190 and the tires ehh 30-50 if not more!
    2nd place is 1st loser......

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Do some more looking. You can get a 2S lipo for $40-$50 (venom) the venom pro charger is only $130 from tower, but if you buy all this stuff you can get about $50 discount. The VXL system is cheaper here on the forums. Check out the market place. You can buy a waterproof VXL for $125 shipped if you cut a deal. The RPM arms can be had on e-bay or other sites for around $25. You can also get an accucel 6 charger from an overseas online place for $55 plus shipping. Its basically the venom pro charger with a different name on it (probably not the same MFG but exactly the same specs and it will charge every kind of battery you need WITH balanceing.
    Just a thought. If you buy $300 worth of stuff from tower you get $60 off if your a super saver club member. Might be worth a look.
    Pave
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Radiojh,

I was looking at that lipo last night for someone else. Would it fit if it's 50mm wide?

RC Champion
    i got a combo that has a little less flexibility than the venom but is waaay more user friendly

it totals to about $110 so its cheaper than the venom

i use this set up and think its great

onyx 230 charger

the equinox balancer

it will charge every common battery and 2s and 3s lipos (lipos up to 3 amps) without having to buy anything else
    Last edited by hurley747; 04-10-2010 at 10:52 PM.
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialed_in
    Radiojh,

I was looking at that lipo last night for someone else. Would it fit if it's 50mm wide?
    Not without modification (battery tray sidewall shaving) IMO I'd rather get a pack that's the right width about 45mm, rather than going through the hassle of shaving the sidewalls.

You can get a good SPC 2s1p 5000mah pack for right at $48.95 and they are a perfect fit.

2 SPC 2s is about $100
    I use the Onyx 230 $80 from tower
    and a blinky balancer $30 from tower also so that would put your cost right around $220 for just packs and the charger. There are also many other chargers that will work just as good and have built in balancers such as the Thunder AC6, or the Accucel charger, they can also get your price lower, I think the Thunder AC6 is around $50.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a
    Not without modification (battery tray sidewall shaving) IMO I'd rather get a pack that's the right width about 45mm, rather than going through the hassle of shaving the sidewalls.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if their 50mm was accurate or not or if anyone actually has those batteries. I know the Slash's tray is 49mm wide.

RC Competitor
    Go to *********.com you can get a brushless total setup for 59.99 and they have super low prices on their lipos. Keep us posted how it works.

RC Champion
    yeah and if you shaved the sidewalls you would have to maybe use foam when use a normal battery which would be annoying
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Enthusiast
    Well just got done putting new parts on the truck. I got RPM A-arms, carriers front and back, skid plates, shock towers, and trans cover. Also got the Venom charger and a new battery. Picked up some new 60wt shock oil and that has made a huge difference. Glad I did that handles alot better.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Good for you. Excellent choices IMO. when you do get the money together for a brushless setup, make sure you check the market place here on the forums. Best place to get the best deal hands down.
    Pave
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dialed_in
    Radiojh,

mine fits great. really nice and snug. you just have to gently push it in, doesn't take any real force at all. you have to notch the corner for the wires but that is no biggy at all. the only real issue i can see is if your not comfortable putting on your own connectors. most hobby shops will even do that for you for a very minimal fee. heck, for 20 bucks..............

......my other brand 3s lipo has room to spare on the sides and fits loose.

i prefer the snug fit of the blue.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Radiojh! I was going to suggest these to another member that was considering cheap ebay lipos. I'm glad to see that they fit. The price is right too.

I have a few long and skinny Hyperions that have some side to side movement. I got some freebie Ice House 22 oz. holders from a convenience store and cut them up to "pad" around the lipos. A cheap thin mouse pad would probably work as well as Non-slip padding you can get by the roll.