RC Qualifier

Changed shock oil in the stock shocks

Well tonight I wanted to learn how these shocks come apart and what not. So tonight before racing I pulled off the rear shocks and took the the caps off. Looks like I will be getting shocks at one point or another because when I went to dump out the stock oil there wasn't a lot left! I had about three quarters of 1 shock worth of oil between 2 rear shocks. Plus the oil was real nasty looking for only 2 months worth of use. The front shocks weren't any better, infact they were worse! 1 shock had about a dime size worth of oil and the other was a quarter worth of oil.

Prerace practice I noticed the truck was bouncing a lot, after the oil change the truck was taking jumps sooo much better.

Worth the effort to change shock oils! I used 40wt front and 60wt rear. I will eventually get big bores from strc, losi 8ight, or prolines.
    Last edited by AudioStylz; 04-10-2010 at 01:02 AM.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Enthusiast
    I had a similar problem with my stock shocks on my rustler they leaked out the top caps so i used 1 to 2 wraps of plumbers tape on the threads it did the trick. are you running the plastic shocks? the big bore aluminium ones don't leak at all at least mine don't, 2 months of hard bashing the shocks are still full of oil.
    Slash 4x4 6.5 HV 14.8v ,stock Summit ,Hpi Baja 5b

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I'm running the stock plastic shocks for the time being. I can't afford the big bore upgrade right now so I figured I would take the stock shocks, clean them out, and add thicker weight oils. I had an issue on 1 shock with it leaking. I lost half a shock worth of oil in a 10 minute practice run. Took the shock off and then the cap, the bladder didn't seat properly. Easy fix thankfully. I'll bet that was the problem in your case too.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    Well I forgot I had some cash in my paypal account. Not enough to get everything but I at least started by ordering some strc rear shock bodies.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd