RC Racer

my summit is awesome, but.....

I took my brand new summit outfitted with Axial Rocksters and Moabs, along with a single Kershaw on lipos to the woods yetserday. We have some nice creek bluffs and flat rocks to run around on... I love it it. It wheelies on command and the low gear crawliin is also great with a 15t pinion.

BUUUUUUUUUT....... I noticed the steering servos seem to be the weak point. Im going to get new ones.
    Last edited by scriner; 04-09-2010 at 10:27 PM.

RC Racer
    Yah those stock steering servos definately leave little to desire. The servo saver is nothing more than decoration with those particular servos, because its too strong to save the plastic geared servos. It will only save a metal gear servo. I have rebuilt mine a couple times already for stripped gears and I still have several rebuild kits left. But when those are gone, Im going metal gears all the way.

RC Racer
    I havent seen them strong enough to need rebuilt. They just seem weak.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by scriner
    I havent seen them strong enough to need rebuilt. They just seem weak.
    ya same here but the micro ones on the other hand i find the motors in them are stronger then the gears that are in them
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Racer
    Are you sure they are both doing their share of the work? I mean your right, they are not the strongest but I have had it where one has stripped the gears right at the centering point and not making any strange noise. Yet the other one is covering for it by trying to do all the work. In other words, you only have one working servo. I have 40 series rocksters with Mudslingers on mine and when they are both doing their job they do alright unless the tires are getting wedged in something, or one wheel is up against something.

I went to two kershaw servos 231 oz each.Metal geared so far i like em they get the rock crushers to turn.How long they will last,That remains to be seen.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    hitec is coming out with water proof servos. a search resulted in very few english articles but I did find this one(1/3 of the way down the page) http://www.rc411.com/pages/newsarchive.php?date=022010
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Qualifier
    Isnt it perfect that they come out with a standard size and micro size? both waterproof? . . . . . almost as if they were actually targeting us Summit owners . . . .HMMMMMMMMMM
    Tekin 4ws Summit
    G2R, ERBE, BB
    Use common sense

RC Qualifier
    Is "waterPROOF" something different than "water sealed"??

Because the Hi-Tec 5645MG (what I have) has it stated on the box that it's "water sealed" and I've had no issues splashing around through puddles and playing in snow (however I have no desire to completely submerge my R/C though so I guess maybe this wouldn't be a thorough test).

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4x4
    Is "waterPROOF" something different than "water sealed"??

Because the Hi-Tec 5645MG (what I have) has it stated on the box that it's "water sealed" and I've had no issues splashing around through puddles and playing in snow (however I have no desire to completely submerge my R/C though so I guess maybe this wouldn't be a thorough test).
    So what your saying is everyone is assuming that "Water sealed" means "Water Proof". I can understand that. Same goes with the Summit itself. The manual only says it is "Water Resistant" which is not the same as "Water proof". But that might be getting technical

RC Qualifier
    I take it to mean that it wouldn't be bothered by submersion up to maybe a foot or so (I don't see the stock servo's seals allowing much deeper operation than that either, even though they actually do use the word "waterproof"). To be less than that would merely be "water resistant" or "splash resistant" or something similar.

Maybe I should take one apart and see what kind of seals it has in it.