RC poster

Just installed my Velineon.....couple Q's

Installed my velineon last night

Couple quick Q's

1. My truck isnt THAT much faster. It burns the tires a lot more and gainged a few mph's. I am still using the stock battery. Is this common/normal? I am assuming once I upgrade to an 3s 11.1 lipo, it will be much faster.

2. With a 3s 11.1 Lipo, which milliamp is best?

3. I have the stock spur and pinion gear, Is there anything I can run for more top speed, without having to worry too much about temps? I only bash it for 10-20 minutes at a time.

4. Does the velineon motor weigh less than the hunk of junk titan?

Thanks guys, I am new so I appreciate all the info.

RC Champion
    1) while I run an ezrun setup and not vlx, my speed more than doubled with brushless. if your tires burn a lot, you may have grip issues. also, if it makes a whining sound, the slipper may be too loose, or you have too little play between pinion and main gear.. if it's too tight, it will seriously slow things down (and cause damage eventually).
    2) the more, the longer you can drive. I wouldn't go for anything under 4000 and 20-30C.

RC Qualifier
    yes, not a huge difference going to the vxl. punchier and a little more top speed is about right. that motor will last waaaaaay longer and now you can go lipo. yes, this is where you see the insane speeds.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Man, I cant agree with that. When I switched from XL5 to VXL, same battery and same gearing my speeds pretty much doubled as well, wheeled like crazy. Everything was EXTREMELY noticeable. If you havent noticed a HUGE difference, something is wrong.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    you are in training mode!!!
    is there an 'AA' for RC addicts?

RC Enthusiast
    q 1.make sure its in lipo mode

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    speed shouldnt increase much if you are using the same batteries, and gearing. Alot more punch. Once you get some lipos, then you'll see a real speed difference.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

I dont understand why people are saying speed wont increase much. Mine did for sure. I was using the exact same truck... didnt even have bearings yet. I put in the VXL with the same stock battery and the truck was WAY faster. I agree though, training mode was about as fast as the XL5.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Dumb question here. I have the XL-5 with the stock brushed motor. Would changing to the VXL and leaving the same motor change anything?

john

RC Qualifier
    reset the TX to the RX and make sure you are not in training mode. your esc is red, right, with no lipo?

i went to VXL right away and my titan was still pretty fresh. maybe you folks with the huge speed increase went after a fairly tired titan? dont get me wrong, it was a noticeable difference. way more punchy. i was running a 7 cell back then. to say the top speed doubled and then doubled again with 3s lipo would just be, well...........a lot. now going from vxl on 7 cell to vxl on 3s lipo..............that's doubling your speed.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jwconnelly
    Dumb question here. I have the XL-5 with the stock brushed motor. Would changing to the VXL and leaving the same motor change anything?

john

No, the vxl ESC will not really affect the titan motor.... are u asking if it'll be faster... if yes, than no it wont be faster...
    Slash VXL
    HPI RS4

RC Enthusiast
    when i switched from titan to ezrun combo using the same 6cell Nimh batery the speed increased a litlle bit but it had more punch, more acceleration and the titan was quite fresh, it has done maybe 20packs.

RC Qualifier
    exactly, more acceleration.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiojh
    reset the TX to the RX and make sure you are not in training mode. your esc is red, right, with no lipo?

i went to VXL right away and my titan was still pretty fresh. maybe you folks with the huge speed increase went after a fairly tired titan? dont get me wrong, it was a noticeable difference. way more punchy. i was running a 7 cell back then. to say the top speed doubled and then doubled again with 3s lipo would just be, well...........a lot. now going from vxl on 7 cell to vxl on 3s lipo..............that's doubling your speed.
    Yep. ESC is red.

I verified on lunch, it wasnt on training mode. red light only blinked once and I let off of the button.

Dont get me wrong. It's WAY more punchy and does some sweet fishtails on concrete now. It also launches WAY higher and longer off the curbs when i jump it.

But saying the speed doubled with the same gearing, and same battery, is a bit of a stretch for my personal situation. Maybe a few MPH's 5-10.

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

This things gonna be fun at the lake with a lipo and paddles

RC Champion
    if you did not have a substantial speed increase by switching from brushed to vxl then there is a problem somewhere.

throwing a lipo in will only cause more problems.

recheck your profile selection, those blinks are tricky!
    is there an 'AA' for RC addicts?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySalvatore
    Yep. ESC is red.

I verified on lunch, it wasnt on training mode. red light only blinked once and I let off of the button.

Dont get me wrong. It's WAY more punchy and does some sweet fishtails on concrete now. It also launches WAY higher and longer off the curbs when i jump it.

But saying the speed doubled with the same gearing, and same battery, is a bit of a stretch for my personal situation. Maybe a few MPH's 5-10.

Exactly. That was one of the things I saw, you could literaly launch off jumps. Everyone I've talked to says the same thing, about 5-10mph increase on top end, but way quicker.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySalvatore
    Installed my velineon last night

Couple quick Q's

1. My truck isnt THAT much faster. It burns the tires a lot more and gainged a few mph's. I am still using the stock battery.
    If you are talking about the stock Traxxas NIMH then that is the reason why it doesn't seem as fast. My VXL didn't seem much faster than stock on 6 cell NIMH's either.

Strap a 2s lipo in it and you will see a difference. Strap a 3s pack in it and it's a totally different world that may make you dirty your shorts because it will be insane fast.

I usually recommend staying at or above 5000mah in a brushless system. It will give you around 20 to 30 minutes run time.

RC Qualifier
    One thing every one is forgetting, when you go to 3S LiPO's get some better tires because you'll need the traction, and please were a diaper the 1st run because that thing get stupid fast and hard to control unless you've dealt with speeds like that before

Oh the 1st time I installed my VXL, it took me a few time to get it to run faster, 1 it was in training, then LVC because I for got to set it up for NiMH, then Training mode again, LOL, finally got it right after the 2nd battery pack,
    Last edited by SirJaymz; 04-09-2010 at 10:11 PM.

I agree that doubling your speed is not realistic. But, as someone who has done actual GPS speed runs, stock with the titan is less than 25... more like 22mph tops. Typically with an 18 pinion youll be getting 18mph tops. Switching to VXL with the same gearing you should be running 30 or just a bit more. Thats about 10-12mph more.... but isnt far off %50 faster. Its more like %40. Same gearing, same battery. When the speeds are this low it may not seem like a huge increase, but by percentage it actually is. Like has been said, add a 2S lipo and you should be seeing 33-35ish. Add a 3S and youll be around the 40's stock gearing. Gear up and you can easily do 50 but will need to watch for heat. If your just doing speed runs only with long cool downs on 3S you can do low 60's with a bigger set of tires and some serious gearing. 70 is difficult... quite difficult.
    So many people make speed comments based only on their "feelings". Typically, its WAY off reality. Its not hard to just ziptie a GPS under the hood and do a few passes. It not only makes you more accurate when helping others on the boards but it also gives you a good idea of how well one setup is working VS another in terms of speed.
    Just my thoughts.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ