RC Champion

Arrow My final Traxxas Slash 4x4 review (videos)

Back in January I published a 2-part "First Impressions" video (thread here) based off my experiences of running the truck for a solid week. I've now been tuning, modifying, converting, and driving the truck for three months, and have collected my thoughts together in a new two-part video set that I can actually call a review:

Naturally for folks who already have a Slash 4x4, there's little to nothing to learn from these, but for folks still trying to decide whether to get one, I hope the videos are useful.
    The #1 Traxxas RC fan, 12 years & counting!

RC Champion
    Good videos.. about how I would review it as well.. Racer wise... I guess im just a soft basher... who lives in a desert.. waterproof means nothing to me, and i dont run is sand or gravel... so in my grassy fields, and parkinglots and skate parks.. its a blast...
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC poster
    good vids! my slash is 100% basher. i drive it in all terrain and conditions. where can i find the stainless bearings so i dont have to tear it down after every run? and can you be more specific on what springs you like?

thanks!

RC Champion
    Thanks guys.

TJ: I just got Duratrax bearings from Tower 'cuz they're cheap and work fine. On springs in my track practice clips video (see here) I was running black fronts and blue rears, but with no sway bars. I'm happy with the front but the rear feels still possibly a little stiff. I'll have to clean out my pins and shave my half shafts back down to see what it feels like then.

RC Champion
    Nice unbiased review. Really enjoyed it.

RC Qualifier
    As always, a pleasure to hear your opinion on these trucks Jang. Thank you
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Champion
    Nice fair and thorough reviews for a non-owner to hear.
    ------
    hmmm, I've never seen it spelled that way.

RC Qualifier
    +1 on the garbage stock springs

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Hey man, I own, host and produce a few national TV shows and your really good at what you do. Im impressed with your ability to give 20 minutes of interesting information. I was very concise, understandable and well delivered. I test Snowmobiles and ATVs (1:1) and I know what it takes to talk about a vehicle for such a long time. Its not easy Very well done. I agree with what you said about the 4X4 as a basher %100. I bought one for a few days. After just a few test runs I decided it was not the basher I was looking for.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Whats all this I keep hearing about sway bars? Link?
    Thanks for the review.
    1st time owner and ive yet to tear mine apart completely. so i dunno how many bearings to get.

But I guess the manual should have all that info.

And yea Pavmentsufer same here. a very expensive basher Wish I had known before I purchased it.

RC Champion
    Wow, thanks so much for the kind words, guys. Very humbling. Good to know that I'm on the right track, though. I'll try my best to keep it up.

Wallofchaos: The Platinum & Ultimate come with swaybars preinstalled. You can also buy them separately -- part #6898 which you can Google up or hopefully find at your favorite retailer.

RC Qualifier
    brilliant reveiw, ive had my slash for a week now but can agree with everything you have said apart from in my experience it does make a good basher, me and a friend had outs over the park doing massive jumps and it took ages to break anything, i have an extremely hopped up rustler which is very very strong and i dont think that the stock slash is far off it

one thing i do want is stainless steel bearings like you said as i run in water alot, just cant find any anywhere

RC Racer
    Nice vid, good info all around.

The truck in the vid looks stiff as heck. No race sag at all. Even when it's pushed down it comes back up. What is that setup for?

RC Champion
    Thanks guys.

PanicRev: When I hastily converted it back to short course form for track testing, I mistakenly put 2WD body posts on the rear, so the body is actually a little higher back there than it should be, giving the illusion that it doesn't squat under acceleration, when actually it does -- but slightly. Traxxas' stock suspension setups are utter trash on most of their vehicles, so I always retune for conditions. As for coming back up when it's pushed down, that's what it's supposed to do! A vehicle that doesn't rebound either has shocks that are way too stiff, or springs that are too soft. Actually, in the case of the Slash 4x4, it could also be that the suspension pins and half-shafts are just completely seized up like they like to do, and I have another video coming to address that.

RC Racer
    I'm talking race sag. It shouldn't set at the very top of the stroke. From what you explained I suspect there is some sag there and it's just an illusion that it's at the top of the stroke?

[EDIT]
    After watching again I can see that the a arms do drop a little when you pick it up.

Also I had failed to note that there is no battery in the chassis which also helps to explain the high in the stroke stance.

RC Champion
    Ah, I've never heard that specific term "race sag" before, but I'm actually below "arms level" on the ground -- pretty much axles level with a battery in. The shocks are nowhere near fully extended. There's quite ample rear droop, so much so that I actually want to dial a little more out with internal limiters.

RC Racer
    I've never heard that specific term "race sag" before
    Hmmm, maybe it's not universal terminology. It's a common term when setting up an MX bike. Static sag is how high the the rear of the bike sits without a rider. Race sag is measured with rider in ready to race form.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJANG
    Thanks guys.

it could also be that the suspension pins and half-shafts are just completely seized up like they like to do, and I have another video coming to address that.
    I will be interested to see what you come up with one of my halfshafts is binding and ive tried cleaning it and lubing it, not sure what else to try

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PanicRev
    Hmmm, maybe it's not universal terminology. It's a common term when setting up an MX bike. Static sag is how high the the rear of the bike sits without a rider. Race sag is measured with rider in ready to race form.
    yeah, definately used more for MX than RC.. down travel may be a better RC term?
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    good video, i watched both today and learned alot..

i heard you mention the traxxas 2.4ghz radio is not a "racer radio" curious why you say that?
    slash 4x4

RC Champion
    rcsammy: It'll be up on my YouTube channel by end of day Monday.

brett: Downtravel yeah, or droop.

snowninja: Thanks. On the radio, well there are several reasons. For one thing, it doesn't have the response rate that the high-end radios do. (I would suspect it doesn't have the power output either, but that I cannot confirm.) Also, just in general its feature set is not up there. You don't have any digital readout, selectable memory slots, easily on-the-fly adjustments, etc. All of your setup pretty much has to be done on the workbench with the manual or cheat sheet to your side, involving a lot of blind button pushing and blink counting. A proper racer's radio lets you change anything you want with precision, and quickly.

RC Champion
    I know this is in the video but I'm on my phone...which springs did you recommend using to replace the stock ones?
    / 16

RC Champion
    Losi springs in all Traxxas 1/10th scales I've ever owned, 2" front, 2.5" rear. Right now I've got black fronts & blue rears, both are 4.1lb/in.

RC Qualifier
    Losi springs in all Traxxas 1/10th scales I've ever owned, 2" front, 2.5" rear. Right now I've got black fronts & blue rears, both are 4.1lb/in.
    where can i buy black 2" springs? A-Main only has them in 2.3" 5.0 rate

thanks
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Champion
    I'm lurking for some on eBay...are they from a specific model?
    / 16

RC Champion
    They're just their normal 1/10th scale springs for buggies (XXX) & trucks (XXXT, XXX-NT, Speed-T, etc.). Do not get the 8ight springs -- they're far too big. Here's a list of part numbers for all of them:

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17347

Searching eBay for various terms like Losi 2" or Losi 2.5" or Losi black spring or Losi blue spring turns up every color in both sizes.