Thread: RIT Dyeing

RC Champion

RIT Dyeing

I have a new chassis coming my way and soon a transmission housing as well. I was contemplating dyeing the chassis and thought, "Why not the transmission too?"

Has anyone done that? Any reason not to?
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    you betcha. do it!

through in the bulkhead too.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Champion
    Looks great! Does it match the other black parts well? I haven't decided if I want to do black or another color.
    What were your methods/processes for your dyeing?
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    looks awesome. a little on the purple side. looks way better than stock. ill get a picture tomorrow of it put together.

hot water, stir in RIT, place in pieces, pull out in an hour. parts take the dye really well.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Champion
    Just add more black dye to the dye/water solution and the purpleness will turn to a darker black.

RC Qualifier
    dye your stuff yet? got mine together and am super stoked on the outcome. through your bulkhead in there too.

\BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiojh
    dye your stuff yet? got mine together and am super stoked on the outcome. through your bulkhead in there too.
    Not yet. Chassis just came in today, and new transmission won't be in until later this week. I was tearing apart my current transmission doing troubleshooting and on teardown number two yesterday stripped a screw...so if something gets broken handling that I'll test dye that housing.
    I suppose I'll do black because I'm not sure anything else would look right, considering everything else is black. The black is almost too subtle though...I'd be the only one who knew something was done. I think it would be cool to get it DARK navy to where it almost looks black, but I doubt that would happen.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    i think the navy might work. i was eyeing it when i chose the black. i know the black seems common, but it is really cool when done and looks waaaaay better than stock. pictures don't do it justice. im sure you will be stoked even with black.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Champion
    What I'll probably do is get both and test on either half of my tired out transmission. I don't have a webhosted picture repository, but I'll figure something out so I can report to you what the navy ends up looking like.

Let me know if this sounds right:
    1. Boil water
    2. Add die
    3. Suspend part(s) in solution for approx one hour
    4. Heat on or off?
    5. Remove part(s) from solution and let air dry

Is that it?
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    photobucket!

i have a stainless sink so i used that. you can also use one of those tin disposable pans. i just used super hot tap and through in one large pan of boiling water. added the die and stirred with a metal large spoon. gently slipped in the parts. once in while i would stir around the parts, no need to suspend. drained water, used rubber gloves. rinsed. all done! so simple. parts take dye well and fast. i only went 1/2 hour. probably should of gone an hour, still VERY happy.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Qualifier
    So wherecan I get some dye? I was wanting to dye it red to match my body. Or would that look stupid. Maybe navy blue?
    Trust me...I'm a Doctor

RC Champion
    Walmart should have it....on the laundry detergent aisle.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Did mine last night, used the factory black transmission case, forgot the darn bulkhead

Looks like I will be using up the rest of the dye tonight!

(Also if you want to go crazy with it you could also dye the ESC and servo case...they are waterproof right?-perhaps not boiling hot waterproof)
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Competitor
    If the Slash is mostly water proof except the motor. What if you pulled the motor and with out all that disassemby just dyed the whole chassis minus body,steel parts will not die so screws and pins would not be a problem.

RC Qualifier
    The parts that have screws in them and other covered areas would not be dyed.

Also anyone dye'd their stock shock bodies? I considered it but passed as I had just completed a rebuild.
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Champion
    I'm still in the middle of my dyeing processes. Had to do some re-dyeing after some random spots didn't go as deep black as I'd like.
    While combing some threads I read a few comments claiming their parts turned purple after getting wet. Is this typically the case? Or did they perhaps not let it saturate long enough?
    I'm hoping that is isolated, otherwise I wasted time and parts.
    / 16

RC Champion
    I used sunset orange to get a rusty kind of brown color. Pretty happy with the way it looks.

RC Champion
    radiojh.....you spelled throw wrong...twice

RC Qualifier
    lol! roger that. **** kalifornia school system.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC Champion
    Have you had any loss of color after getting wet? I just tested the Rustler chassis I died by covering with water in the sink, haven't noticed a fade yet.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanSky
    I used sunset orange to get a rusty kind of brown color. Pretty happy with the way it looks.
    Pics or it didn't happen....

(J/K I just want to see this color scheme)
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmbtr
    Have you had any loss of color after getting wet? I just tested the Rustler chassis I died by covering with water in the sink, haven't noticed a fade yet.
    No color loss , the only purple issues I have are with my once white dye'd black dish wheels, when the light hits them just right you can see a bit of purple.

When I did my slash I left the chassis and other parts in the dye overnight. Overkill, probably. Black, yes sir!
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Krispy

Ya...I was lookin when I posted but couldnt find them...will post some shortly

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Krispy

Here is my Slash done in sunset orange

And here is my son's Slash done in green

RC Qualifier
    The green almost looks black in the pictures. Is it a noticeable green in person?

RC Qualifier
    Anyone have red, deep red? Pics? Maybe a true purple or blue?
    Traxxas should just cash my checks for me

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Check out the new issue of XRC magazine; they have a feature about dyeing parts in RIT dye. They have suggestions about using glue on the surface to create designs, etc. I just dyed some pieces for my Maxx, but I got more of a purple than black. I didn't use boiling water, though. I'm gonna re-do them and throw in some Slash parts, too. I wanna build a Pro-Line/RPM Slash with an EZ Run system for my wife.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    In the testing I've been doing, I've been leaving them in for 24-48 hours and reheating the suspension ever 8-12 hours.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    i am in the process of doing this now every grey piece in. I even threw in my springs to see what would happen. what do you know they are going black haha!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jybrd
    The green almost looks black in the pictures. Is it a noticeable green in person?
    Sorry, but I do not see how it looks black in the picture. There is definitely a contrast difference between the chassis and the black parts and the Traxxas logo that was colored in with black Sharpie.

Its a very noticeable dark green. I soaked it in boiling hot water for about 30 minutes and that is all it needed. The color has held very well--no fading or missing color from scratches. And water does not affect the finish.
    Last edited by DeanSky; 04-22-2010 at 03:12 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I died my navy and it looks black but navy at certain angles. I died the buld head for less time and it looks navy blue. I will do the same when i get my new chassis.

RC Qualifier
    I really like that brown color.
    I may consider dying my chassis eventually...
    I am not in the position to right now though...
    I am lucky I don't have any money.

RC Qualifier
    Here is mine!

Water to Dye ratio:

What ive noticed, is if you place it in a pan that has a great amount of water you will have a greater chance of it being purple, but if you use a smaller amout of water will one pack of dye then the parts will come out darker!

I first boiled a good amount of water with one pack of dye in a pot that we would use to deep fry our turkeys for thanks giving ( NOT ANY MORE ) and with the chasis in it, let it boil for 30min.. Then after 30min I put in another pack and let it boil for another 30min.

And thats it!

But there is many ways to go about doing this! Its wicth ever one you perfer!

Last edited by sliding_josh; 04-25-2010 at 10:50 AM.
    My WIFE drives her slash like she stole it...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Daholla77
    I died my navy and it looks black but navy at certain angles. I died the buld head for less time and it looks navy blue. I will do the same when i get my new chassis.
    I tested with navy also; both gray and black parts. I liked the color, but didn't like how it was different than the black pieces so I went all black.
    / 16