Thread: rear carriers

RC Competitor

rear carriers

having alot of problems..i mean alot...with my rear carriers breaking...mainly what would be the passenger side of the vehicle. gone through 4 in 4 days. bought heavy duty ones from rcboca.com ran one pack and they just snapped right at the a-arm mount... has anybody else had this problem and what can i do to fix it...getting very aggravated with these cheap parts....

RC Champion
    The aluminum upgrade fixes things... though then you will probably have axle problems then...
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Competitor
    i cant find alum. a-arms...any ideas?

RC Champion
    here ya go, couple different colors are there.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...filter_mfr/263

and here are some more.

http://www.rcbros.com/cart/prodList.asp?idCategory=334
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rustler09
    here ya go, couple different colors are there.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...filter_mfr/263

and here are some more.

http://www.rcbros.com/cart/prodList.asp?idCategory=334
    That's what I thought... I was confused for a second there!

RC Racer
    but the problem with the aluminum is that instead of that piece breaking, other pieces break because there is no give.
    4x4 Slash
    3 2wd Slash
    3.3 T-max
    3.3 Revo

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacky Jackson
    but the problem with the aluminum is that instead of that piece breaking, other pieces break because there is no give.
    Yes... like I said about the axles

RC Competitor
    oh yeah i broke one of those 2 wks ago....so far not very happy with this truk so far

RC Champion

Rear Toe In

Sorry, not trying to hijack a thread, just thought while you all have your minds on Carriers I would ask...

What is the advantage of Rear Toe in ? Is it true the Traxxas Aluminum Rear Bearing Carriers have more Toe in than the RTR plastic ones ?

Can you get any others brand names that are not Toed in like the Traxxas ones ?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacky Jackson
    people can say that over and over, but they don't think it out all the way IMO.

think about it this way... if you have a series of parts, and the "strength" is quantified like this 15 - 12 - 4 - 13. Clearly the part rated "4" will typically break when subjected to a level "4" or greater incident. If you replace that part with one rated 25, then the part rated 12 will be your weak point... in a level 12 or greater incident! So the chain of parts should typically survive repeated beatings at level 4, unlike the original chain of parts. In other words if there's a weak point in the truck that truly lags behind the rest in terms of durability, it's something that you can and should replace with tougher equipment so that it can keep up.

Alternatively, sometimes a plastic part flexes and puts other parts in a position to break when they didn't really need to break.

I'm not saying that any of this is the case here, but it's something to remember before spouting the same tired statement about aluminum...

Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650
    What is the advantage of Rear Toe in ?
    Rear toe-in, like front toe-in, helps the truck track straighter. at least that's my understanding. Too much makes the truck act squirrelly

RC Racer
    I've been using these with no problems since breaking 2 stock rear carriers.I don't like aluminum carriers/ bent axles...http://www.rcboca.com/pro-line-protr...-carriers.html

I had the same problem. I had a lot of dirt in my rear driveshaft so that the two pieces didn't slide. This kept breaking hub carriers. If you remove the driveshafts, clean them and make sure they slide freely. I almost guarantee that will solve your problem. I now have the STRC hubs for added strength. Love them

RC Competitor
    RC Enthusiast

Join Date: Feb 2010 I've been using these with no problems since breaking 2 stock rear carriers.I don't like aluminum carriers/ bent axles...http://www.rcboca.com/pro-line-protr...-carriers. thats kinda funny.. i just got those on wed. installed em thursday...broke yesterday after 2 pack runs. i'm goin alum, hub carriers and a-arms...lillpricey but sick of waiting for parts in the mail since lhs doesnt have parts yat.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob
    I had the same problem. I had a lot of dirt in my rear driveshaft so that the two pieces didn't slide. This kept breaking hub carriers. If you remove the driveshafts, clean them and make sure they slide freely. I almost guarantee that will solve your problem. I now have the STRC hubs for added strength. Love them

Have you had any issues with the axles breaking while running the STRC hubs?
    Old School E-Maxx

RC Competitor
    I just put the rear rpm carriers from the slash 2wd on. They fit great and are tough as usual. Give but don't bend or break.

Wink

I haven't had any problems! No bent axles or anything else. That was a weak link. The aluminum parts solved my problem. I have wrecked my truck in almost every way possible and I have not broken anything. I have the aluminum carriers and RPM arms. That combination has solved most of my problems. The 6888x along with everything else has turned this truck into something that is really reliable and it hasn't had anything break since
    Last edited by El Sob; 04-19-2010 at 11:49 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusthepirate
    people can say that over and over, but they don't think it out all the way IMO.

think about it this way... if you have a series of parts, and the "strength" is quantified like this 15 - 12 - 4 - 13. Clearly the part rated "4" will typically break when subjected to a level "4" or greater incident. If you replace that part with one rated 25, then the part rated 12 will be your weak point... in a level 12 or greater incident! So the chain of parts should typically survive repeated beatings at level 4, unlike the original chain of parts. In other words if there's a weak point in the truck that truly lags behind the rest in terms of durability, it's something that you can and should replace with tougher equipment so that it can keep up.

Alternatively, sometimes a plastic part flexes and puts other parts in a position to break when they didn't really need to break.

I'm not saying that any of this is the case here, but it's something to remember before spouting the same tired statement about aluminum...

Rear toe-in, like front toe-in, helps the truck track straighter. at least that's my understanding. Too much makes the truck act squirrelly

Thank you!!! This is the greatest explanation of how an aluminum piece strengthens the truck, not just "well, now other parts are going to break in the same type of crash as the weak part did." I was going to try to explain it similar to this but I couldn't put it in words, lol. Nice job pirate.