Thread: solid axle

RC Enthusiast

solid axle

want to turn my summit into a better crawler

RC Champion
    this place might be able to help, im not sure.

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/index.ph...e87a31dad578e6
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Champion
    I do as well, I took mine out today to try some real crawling and found out just how far off being a competition crawler the Summit actually is.

I found that with a relatively stock setup, it is an amazingly poor climber for any type of incline beyond about 35 degrees without flipping over backwards. Trying to get onto a rock or other step above about 6 1/2" is nearly impossible, without having a ramp. Even reducing the spring rate to zero only helped incrementally.

It does however tackle Hiking trails very, very nicely. and will climb pretty easily anything which I can hike or walk.

I have a light weight body I am preparing for paint, this should help to lower the CG, but without spending $299.99 on these. http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=767 I don't think the Summit will ever prove much of a crawler.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    I do as well, I took mine out today to try some real crawling and found out just how far off being a competition crawler the Summit actually is.

I found that with a relatively stock setup, it is an amazingly poor climber for any type of incline beyond about 35 degrees without flipping over backwards. Trying to get onto a rock or other step above about 6 1/2" is nearly impossible, without having a ramp. Even reducing the spring rate to zero only helped incrementally.

It does however tackle Hiking trails very, very nicely. and will climb pretty easily anything which I can hike or walk.

I have a light weight body I am preparing for paint, this should help to lower the CG, but without spending $299.99 on these. http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=767 I don't think the Summit will ever prove much of a crawler.
    I'd call it the ultimate trail truck
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer

The body will help quite a bit. I run an E-Revo body on revo body mounts on mine cause the stock body was just too much weight up too high.

I think about filling the underside of the skidplates with lead sometimes...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hugh jorgan
    The body will help quite a bit. I run an E-Revo body on revo body mounts on mine cause the stock body was just too much weight up too high.

I think about filling the underside of the skidplates with lead sometimes...
    I dont think even lead skid plates would bring the CG low enough, rc4wd is coming out with some beadlock wheels designed specifically for the Summit, it says on the site they are going to weigh 3lbs each. check these out.

I am seriously wondering about liquid filled tires. like they used to use on tractors. would have to be for crawling only though.

RC Competitor
    Are we talking about the same truck here?

I was out crawling, climbing and bashing the other day and was amazed by it's offroad capabilities. I haven't seen a RC crawler in extreme enviroments but ive seen a few on indoor tracks and from what i've felt with my own truck is that it's very capable of climbing rocks and dirt. Maybe not with the finesse of a true crawler but it get the job done.

45 degrees with stiffer settings is not impossible, or my sense of incline is off by far

The Summit goes places i cant go by foot.
    And its all stock except a Tekin RX8

Just thinking out loud..imoho

RC Qualifier
    The Summit definitely does suffer from having a pretty high CoG.
    I've been meaning to try a limiting device (zip tie or something on the rockers) on the front suspension to keep it from unloading as much on inclines. I suspect this would help immensely with it's tendency to go over backward (probably as much as swapping the body would).

Stuff like that works wonders in the 1:1 world, I don't see why the same wouldn't be true here too.

RC Enthusiast
    ya when i put rockcrusher 40 series on and a 12t it helped alot with rock climbing and they way a bit more

RC Qualifier

Summit crawler?

Hi guys,Try getting some old wheel weights from a tyre shop,ducktape them inside the front wheels,so they don't hit stuff,that'll drop the C of G a bit,sticky tack (squidgy stuff that "holds" up posters) in the diff works,easy in relativly easy out .Obviously move the batts as far forward as they'll go, Sheet lead wrapped round the bumper?

RC Qualifier
    Wheel weights from a tire shop come in a sticky back style now also. And they really stick good.

RC Enthusiast
    it would be nice if it had solid axels

RC Racer
    quadiak I do as well, I took mine out today to try some real crawling and found out just how far off being a competition crawler the Summit actually is.

are you serious? the summit was not built to be a rock crawler.it is an all around truck just as a dediated rock crawler cant go where the summit can.think you need a different truck if you wanna climb .it is way more then trial rider.proff go to youtube an search summit n see.3lbs wheels ****. better run diff motor. rediculous statement not a real rock crawler duh
    smokeGR
    2summits 2villainEX slayer3.3

RC Racer
    I am going to try some kids 'magic sand' in my Mudslingers this weekend to see if the added weight down low will help.

It is great stuff, moldable and sort of acts like a dense memory foam. Will have to stay away from water though. Not really after cement tires.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by allrocksallday
    it would be nice if it had solid axels
    Why is that??? You'd give up almost all of it's bashing ability to gain only a tiny amount more crawling ability.

If a dedicated rockcrawler is what you want, then the Summit is not it.

RC Champion
    I dont think even lead skid plates would bring the CG low enough, rc4wd is coming out with some beadlock wheels designed specifically for the Summit, it says on the site they are going to weigh 3lbs each. check these out.

I am seriously wondering about liquid filled tires. like they used to use on tractors. would have to be for crawling only though.
    I just heard back from Rc4wd, these wheels way in at .75lbs each 3lbs for all 4. guess that is a lot more reasonable. He also recommended the rok lox for general rock crawling and bashing.

RC poster
    Rok lox would be awesome. However, think of the size. You have seen how a Summit looks with Rock Crushers...well, Rok Lox are even bigger.

I am a big fan of the 1.9 mudslingers. I would think the 40 series would work great on this rig as well. They have great forward bite and a decent size to not raise COG too much.

About liquid and sand and anything fluid in the tires...you're crusing along, you try to stop, and the fluid rushes forward and lurches your rig forward. Crawlers used to run BBs or airsoft in their tires but have since moved back to static weights, like stick on wheel weights from an auto place/tire shop.

RC Racer
    The 'magic sand' was messy, it was a cross between play sand and play dough. Very moldable and not fluid at all and ended up being a scoopable version of memory foam. Took it out and put the foam back in.
    2.4Ghz Dewalt E-Remmit

RC Champion
    I got my body mounted today. kinda tested a bit although stupid Alberta weather is making it too cold here for the tires to bite very well. I weighed both new and old bodies, the summit was almost exactly 1 pound, where the Bajr body was only 5 ounces. more testing to come.