Thread: Motor HeatSink

RC Enthusiast

Motor HeatSink

What heatsinks fit the stock 4x4 velineon 3500 motor without modification. I live is a hot climate and just want to be safe. I have the esc fan already.

RC Champion
    Any heatsink for a 540 size motor can.
    Drive it like you stole it or leave it shelved

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I tried the traxxas heat sink and I think because its so long, and the edges are sharp, it would end up cutting into the motor wires. It goes right up to the where the motor wires come out from behind the plastic rear cover. I just didnt feel good about how the sharp edges were rubbing right on the motor wires. Felt like it wouldent take long for them to rub right through. Get a shorter heat sink. And, the hot racing motor mount plate with heat sinks on the top... it works great too. It only costs about $10 and it looks pretty sweet.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    2/Slash 4x4s
    4 Tech 3.3
    Jato 3.3
    Savage SS .26

RC Racer
    2/Slash 4x4s
    4 Tech 3.3
    Jato 3.3
    Savage SS .26

RC Qualifier
    integy makes a good one that comes with a fan
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    @ JATORevo3.3s: That eBay link you posted contains content from NITRORCHOBBIES.COM, which looks to be hosting MalWare on their site, or so my AV and Firewall, and even Browser pops up with....when i get those warnings, it's almost NEVER wrong....beware.

RC Racer
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWMD0&P=Z
    this is what i have now on my 4x4. it is a direct fit and it looks cool. its keep the motor really cold.
    v-dubs 4 life
    BUILT FORD TOUGH

RC Qualifier
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=515967

Just installed last night. I haven't had a chance to get any great tests yet, but seems to have dropped temps.

RC Qualifier
    I use the Integy heat sink with fan. Bought mine from rcsuperstore.com.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    I ended up cutting about 5/16" off the stock Traxxas heatsink because it was too long. Works great. I also chamfered the edges of both ends. When I first tried it before cutting, I barely brushed one of the motor wires and it sliced the insulation to bare wire, doh. Very sharp.
    Easy enough to repair but yeah.

RC Enthusiast
    for you guys running the heatsink and fan. It looks like the motor wires would be touching the heatsink, does it get hot enough to melt the wire insulation?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hossbog
    for you guys running the heatsink and fan. It looks like the motor wires would be touching the heatsink, does it get hot enough to melt the wire insulation?
    No prolems here with melting wire insulation.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC poster

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I tried the traxxas heat sink and I think because its so long, and the edges are sharp, it would end up cutting into the motor wires. It goes right up to the where the motor wires come out from behind the plastic rear cover. I just didnt feel good about how the sharp edges were rubbing right on the motor wires. Felt like it wouldent take long for them to rub right through. Get a shorter heat sink. And, the hot racing motor mount plate with heat sinks on the top... it works great too. It only costs about $10 and it looks pretty sweet.
    Where can I find this motor mount with the heatsink for a slash 4x4, ive looked everywhere and cant find it for the slash 4x4.
    Thanks

RC Racer
    The heatsink and fan are a band-aid on the real problem. The venileon system is underpowered for a 4x4 vehicle and is a time bomb counting down towards failure.

Go with the Castle Creations MMP 2400kv SCT. It was the best purchase that I made for both my Pede/slashes.

I went through all the fans and heatsinks to in the end just fixing the problem. Sell the stock venileon system to somebody running it in a 2wd vehicle and fix the problem.

I talked to John at castle creations and he recommends not even using their fan. He recommends setting up the gearing to not use it. He said that if you count on it and it jams with dirt or just plain doesn't work you can ruin your system. It's a weak link.

Why set yourself up with a weak link?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lboversoul View Post
    Where can I find this motor mount with the heatsink for a slash 4x4, ive looked everywhere and cant find it for the slash 4x4.
    Thanks
    I can only assume that this is it... I hate to break it to you but with inflation and the poor economy the price of it seemed to of sky rocketed $3.88 more since this was posted two years ago.

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...=SLF1801;c=480

Hope it works out for ya, personally i went with the ST Racing one:
    http://www.rcplanet.com/SPT_Hd_Alum_...sptst6860b.htm

And tons of other people get the King Headz mount that has a little bigger bearing (kinda wish I got one):
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ount-w-Bearing
    I'm just a big hairy American winning machine

RC Racer
    I got my Hot racing motor mount on eBay for $10.88 shipped. Like it better than my ST one.

RC Racer
    sweet, I always overlook ebay and I don't know why. They have such better deals!
    I'm just a big hairy American winning machine

RC Qualifier
    HERES MY SET UP I ALSO MOVED MY MOTOR WIRES TO EXIT THRU A DREMELED HOLE THRU THE MOTOR COVER
    [IMG][/IMG]
    EFFORT EQUALS RESULTS

RC Qualifier
    yeah the Integy heat sink and fan does really good for it's cheap price. my temps dropped almost 30 degrees just by using it alone

however, the fan won't last though. mine completely lost it's blade on the track, lol

I searched eBay and found a dual ball bearing fan for about $10, and it's doing well. a little louder than the stock one, and it's a little taller, but it moves some serious air! I'm thinking about making a screen to put over it though; might help it last just that little bit longer

fix, run, break, repeat