Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Post Most Powerfull Nimh Battery?

I believe that I have found the best and most powerfull nimh battery made. It is the Venom 9.6v 5000mah hump pack.
    http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc....EN%2D1548%2D8T

I only want the best. But I hear alot of people bashing the venom batteries.
    Can someone show me a better nimh battery? No lipo comments please.
    Last edited by Avalanche2015; 03-24-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling

RC Competitor
    http://www.promatchracing.com/products.php?cat=27

you can get them matched or un-matched great batteries, I have a few of there packs and have yet to have any problems or hear of any problems. And they will build you the dual hump just need to ask.

less $$$ to

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Most powerful Nimh? Take a look at the matched EnerG ProMatch packs.

RC Competitor
    The question is are the cells in the Venom pack matched or unmatched? If they are matched, then it's cheaper than the ProMatch pack (5000-8M) and more expensive if unmatched...
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Slash 4x4
    Losi MRC

Venom lipo packs are decent but their nimh packs have one of the worst reputations around. If you search the forum you will find countless posts on how various brushless systems have eaten up Venom nimh packs.

If you want a quality nimh pack you want ProMatch as others have mentioned.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    http://www.fastrcbatteries.com/
    (Scroll down about half way)
    Here you go biggest nihm you can get for slash 4x4. It is a 9 cell 5000mah pack. But no point of getting it because it is $113. You can get a 3s lipo and charger for that amount.
    4x4 Slash
    3 2wd Slash
    3.3 T-max
    3.3 Revo

RC Qualifier
    I agree, the only Venom pack I ever owned was very low quality.. cardboard-wrapped cells, high IR, etc. It did alright on a mild brushed setup, but on brushless it toasted easily. Go with the recommendations you're getting in this thread. Matched cells may not be necessary, but quality cells are definitely necessary (and Venom does not use them).

RC Champion
    From John the Battery guy...
    http://www.fastrcbatteries.com/
    Scroll down to about halfway... 10.8 volt 9 cell 5000mAh Waterproof
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Champion
    A Platinum level Pro-Match matched pack would be the most powerful NiMH. Oh BTW you need to define "most powerful" !

The 4600 matched packs are 1.25+ volts matched, the 5000 cells are a bit lower at 1.20 volts, but more capacity. Bottom line, 5000 for basher, Platinum 4600 for racers...IMHO.

Also consider that if you go NiMH, you really should go SxS configuration, like the Pro-Match packs. Then you can balance them as needed to keep them in top shape with something like a Novak Smart Tray. I have not been able to beat the deal at Pro Match... the 6 or 7 cell "group matched" pairs..

http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=8465

$73.99 Pair 7 cell SxS !!

Now these will be expensive, but prob the best hump packs out there stocked from a big company. If stick packs are coming with 12ga wire, things sure have changed !
    http://www.teamorion.com/Products/Ni...cket+Pack+Hump

Last edited by BT_EMT; 03-26-2010 at 02:36 AM.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Champion
    Previous NiMH post ...

http://monster.traxxas.com/showpost....4&postcount=20

Pro Match - $38.49 BEST DEAL, "matched", tested packs $73.99/pair
    Tenergy - $40.99 Stick, Needs connectors.
    Venom - $44.99 Stick
    Duratrax - $49.99 SxS
    MaxAmps - $81.99 SxS HOLY SMOKES ..twice the price of Pro Match !

So once you shop around, you can see that oddly, the best, most well known battery matcher - seller, that has a great reputation, is in fact the cheapest ! The pack will be freshly made when you order it, who knows how long the other guys packs have been sitting around.
    Last edited by BT_EMT; 03-26-2010 at 02:46 AM.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    Lancaster California , Sand dunes next to the rattlesnake that almost bit me
    My two cents....I have been running venom 8 cell 9.6 volt humpbacks for nearly a year now and they have incredible power for my 2 & 4 wheel drive slashes, Yeh my Lipo's put out alot more power but hey..Thery're Liopo's they're supposed to, anyway for the buck they are a great deal for Nimh batteries, I paid $80 for each pack. Other companys charge up to $125 to $150 for the same thing. Here's the good news....I did have the first one I ever bought last june go bad and would'nt hold a full charge anymore after about 60 to 70 charges...Sooo I called them to ask them if they should last longer and you know what they told me?.....Dont worry all our batteries have a LIFETIME WARRANTY...Just send it to us and we
    will replace it for free.. yes you read it right A lifetime warranty with all thier batteries including thier Lipo's too.What other company would even come close to that. So for the extra money you spend and no warranty on the ""Good"" batteries the choice was easy for me,,, Venoms all the way from now on. I reccomend the same for you too. Legendriver43....again my two cents Thanx !!
    Me or the Rattlesnakes, One of us has to go !!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by LEGENDRIVER43
    My two cents....I have been running venom 8 cell 9.6 volt humpbacks for nearly a year now and they have incredible power for my 2 & 4 wheel drive slashes, Yeh my Lipo's put out alot more power but hey..Thery're Liopo's they're supposed to, anyway for the buck they are a great deal for Nimh batteries, I paid $80 for each pack. Other companys charge up to $125 to $150 for the same thing. Here's the good news....I did have the first one I ever bought last june go bad and would'nt hold a full charge anymore after about 60 to 70 charges...Sooo I called them to ask them if they should last longer and you know what they told me?.....Dont worry all our batteries have a LIFETIME WARRANTY...Just send it to us and we
    will replace it for free.. yes you read it right A lifetime warranty with all thier batteries including thier Lipo's too.What other company would even come close to that. So for the extra money you spend and no warranty on the ""Good"" batteries the choice was easy for me,,, Venoms all the way from now on. I reccomend the same for you too. Legendriver43....again my two cents Thanx !!
    wow i could have said that better i dont have the 8 cells but i have four 6 cell venom 5000 and two 7 cell 3000 that i run in my summit and have been in and out of the water 20-30 times and have never had anything bad happen and thats my two cents
    Last edited by super-maxx24; 03-26-2010 at 03:56 AM.
    ERBE
    summit
    slash vxl
    slash 4x4 rtr and pe

RC Racer
    Duratrax 5000s are fantastic and under 50 bucks.

RC Qualifier
    JOHN THE BATTERY GUY told me all these packs are junk ( all the ones everyone is referring too in this post ) . so I asked him why and he said all the hobby shop brands like Duratrax , Venom , Promatch and Traxxas powercells are not "matched and zapped" , he said they are green cells, not discharged .....

now I am not too Technical with all this battery lingo but from experience and what I own :

Duratrax 8.4 5000 mah is great
    Duratrax 8.4 4600 mah is great
    Traxxas Powercell 3 series 8.4 3000 mah - ok
    Traxxas Powercell 4 series 8.4 4200 mah - pretty good
    Venom 8.4 4200 - horrible , didn't last long and 1 actually blew up like a bomb on me .
    Team orion - very good , (Merv batteries ) 7 cell 1300 mah

So now I'm torn , here I was thinking all my Duratrax and Series 4 powercells were pretty good and he tells me 45 minutes worth of stuff about his batteries being far superior and everything else NIMH is garbage ....

I don't want or need to go Lipo , just bash around and I have so many NIMH and 3 - Onyx 240 chargers already .

What does matched and zapped mean anyway !!!????

I don't know just sharing what he told me .
    ERBE - 8ight T/E - Kyosho Inferno

RC Champion
    John is very trustworthy and in the know. I trust him and his batteries.

RC Qualifier
    very cool on the phone , gave me great prices too on what I was looking for .

RC Champion
    Did you buy something from him?

RC Qualifier
    not yet but I want to get a 9.6V to my Slash 4x4 and a couple 8.4's for my EREVO , he said I would be stunned by the difference !

RC Enthusiast
    i dont meant to throw in a lipo comment here, but you find me a nihm that can beat this (both price wise and performance wise)

http://www.*********.com/*********/s...oly&aff=108158

RC Champion

RC Qualifier
    I have one of John batteries and I have been VERY impressed with it, 9.6v 8 cell, the poor thing has been swimming more times than I can count, thown out of the truck about 1/2 as many times, beat all to ____ and back, wrapped in duct tape and its still is my favorite NiMH battery I have close to 150 charges on it now and it still charges to 5300MaH (I stop driving when to truck starts to slow down, I don't run them till they quit moving) and these batteries will still spank my buddies 2s LiPO's. ........... but if I had to buy again I would save some $ and go LiPo(3s not 2s) it is well worth it

RC Racer
    First, he will say his stuff is the best..HE MAKES MONEY OFF IT !
    "Zapped" is a Nicad thing not Nimh ( not proven anyway)

McDonalds says Burgerking tastes terrible and vise versa.

Im sure his packs are decent, but dont take the guys word that sells them.

RC Champion
    Well either you misunderstood him, or he is not well informed !
    I'm sure his packs are fine, and he sells some interesting packages.

But to say ProMatch packs are not matched.... LOL Yeah, their whole business is matching battery packs...

Those would be matching stickers !

Here's some info for you... And this is Mandatory reading for NiMH education... IMHO... For future reference, you might do a little homework before making a comment like that... LOL I would hope John the battery guy has heard of ProMatch and knows that they are not "green" cells. Oh I hope Jakey is reading this....

On this link you will find :

http://www.promatchracing.com/techsupport.php

Pro-Match Return, Warranty, and Shipping Policies
    Calculating shipping costs
    4200 and 4600 Stick Pack Instructions
    4600 Charging Instructions
    5000 Charging Instructions
    Lipo Instructions and Disclaimer
    1/18th Scale Pack Instructions
    Nitro Receiver Pack Instructions
    What the Numbers on A Matched Cell Mean
    How Batteries Make Power
    Matched cells vs. unmatched cells, what's the difference?
    Why Buy Pro-Match Cells
    What are end bars and when do I need them?
    Placing an order and where to put special instructions
    Our patented induction process-how we build your packs
    NEW How we measure our packs
    NEW How to modify your chassis to fit a battery

http://www.promatchracing.com/battnum.php

http://www.promatchracing.com/whymatched.php

http://www.promatchracing.com/whybuy.php

All though I'm not a fan of stick packs, Pro Match has a page of the well regarded EP4200 packs, and prices that are all under $30 !! I haven't seen prices that low in years!

http://www.promatchracing.com/products.php?cat=26

$23.49 with connector of choice ! That rivals the infamous GP3300 Radio Shack packs for a great deal !...."03/26/10 NEW LOW PRICES.... We have reduced prices on our most popular 4600 cells as well as our 2500 AA individual cells and our 4200 EP stick packs. WHY?? Because every dollar counts these days.".....

Bottom line, as my chart higher up shows, based on recent price comparison, you cannot beat ProMatch packs either in quality or price ! Used to be Tom from SPC was king of matching, but he is LiPo only now. I would highly recommend getting the "unmatched" packs for bettter price... they are group matched, but don't have stickers. Unless you are a serious racer you really don't have much need for the most expensive packs. But don't waste money on packs that have not been tested at all.
    Last edited by BT_EMT; 03-27-2010 at 07:12 AM.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Champion
    FASTCAR.. zapped has long been associated with NiMH... some call it Blasting etc., but not sure what you mean about NiCD's only...
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Competitor
    Can someone tell me the advantages or disadvantages of 'stick' packs and 'flat' packs?
    A Certified Slash Noob

RC Champion
    Stick packs sometimes can fit in stock locations, that SxS can't, as that has been the industry standard for 30+ years. Generally they are lower quality construction, and the pack will heat up more as a result. SxS allows both the pos and neg tabs exposed to air to cool, instead of being packed end to end like a stick pack. Also a SxS pack can be equalized on a tray and each cell balanced to the others if you buy an Equalizing tray. A stick pack, if it gets out of balance, not much you can do. In the past, some people in here, did some testing of the Radio Shack GP3300 bargain. They took measurements on the stick pack, and then they took the pack apart, and rebuilt it SxS, then did the same tests, and the results were surprisingly impressive.. the SxS's more efficient current transfer thru the battery bars was superior to the cheap tin connectors that are usually spot welded in stick packs..

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/di..._se/index.html

Def not necessary, but if you buy nice matched packs, this will keep them it top, balanced shape, and can revitalize an older pack if it was SxS shape.
    Last edited by BT_EMT; 03-27-2010 at 07:53 AM.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    This good info. I'm going to buy my son the 4x4 (can't decide on stock or Ultimate yet). A guy I work with gave me some of his matched 6 cell batteries. He asked if I had a balancer I said no. All I have is a basic peak charger. My question is should I buy a balancer for these batteries or will peak charger be okay. I'm a nitro (Race the Revo) guy at the moment and I'm really cluless on all this battery stuff. The only expierence I have with batteries was just charge them up and run in my old Tamiya days. Any suggestions would be helpful.

RC Qualifier
    Technically, stick packs can be built in such a way that they make just as much power as side-by-side, as seen in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IelXfcrIXCc

...but I doubt that John the Battery Guy is doing that. Most stick packs are spot-wielded, which is the inefficient, heat-producing setup BT_EMT mentioned. Has anyone dissected one of his packs to see if there are thin metal tabs between the cells or if the cells feel like they are a solid stick (in columns of 3)?

Quote Originally Posted by mass-tmaxx
    What does matched and zapped mean anyway?
    Zapping is a process where a high voltage is forced through the battery in reverse (IIRC? correct me if necessary) in order to break up crystal buildup on the electrodes. It increases voltage slightly and temporarily, as the crystals will build back up with use. It's not important for bashers, period. It -is- done on NiMH, but don't pay extra for it over a pack that doesn't have it.

Matching is where all cells are measured and the weaker cells (those with higher Internal Resistance [IR], those with lower capacity, or those which charge to a lower voltage) are weeded out so that they don't hold the rest of the pack back. Again, this is unnecessary for bashing packs. In my day (I don't know about these EnerG cells everybody keeps talking about) the good cells did not have enough variance to make it worthwhile to pay basically -double- to get a matched pack. You were best off getting 2x high quality unmatched packs for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlash4x4
    John is very trustworthy and in the know. I trust him and his batteries.
    What other batteries have you been able to compare with John's? He sure talks a big game!

Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT
    the 6 or 7 cell "group matched" pairs..
    what is group matched? I'm having trouble imagining how this would work... Do they just grab 6 green cells, put them in the matcher, and if the cells aren't too far off they ahead and build the pack? I'm not familiar with the term "group matched."

and @ everyone who made comments about sending packs swimming... doesn't really matter what brand, they should be fine with that. Probably best to dry them out afterwards though.

RC Champion
    Group Matched @ ProMatch :

http://www.promatchracing.com/whymatched.php

"We have recently incorporated a new policy of "group matching" these cells. We now separate these cells by run time to within 10 seconds of one another on discharge time. This helps to minimize balancing issues caused by using mismatched cells. The prices for these packs is usually priced quite low and if you're not a die-hard racer or just want some inexpensive practice packs these packs are a very good value. For serious level racing matched cells are a must. Testing and matching cells takes a long time. This extra production time accounts from most of the matched pack's added cost. but what your really paying for is higher performance and better pack longevity. "

http://www.promatchracing.com/prodde...?prod=5000-7UM

"Although these cells are not labeled they are group* matched to reduce imbalance issues. *Group matching means the cells are all matched within 10 seconds of each other on run time."

Bottom line, group matched are packs that survived the heavy demands that the matching process dishes out on the Turbo Matchers. They are charged, discharged, recharged, tested etc., and this group of cells simply are the not best 1% of the cells that sell as Matched, usually referred to as Gold or Platinum level, or Team etc.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Champion
    By the way keep in mind how much a Turbo Matcher costs... the latest one, the TM8 is nearly 2 grand !

http://competitionelectronics.com/pages/tm8.html

3905 E-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the 'ol Turbo Matcher, I'd just never seen "group matched" bandied about before. I -did- look on their site for the term, obviously not hard or long enough.

Loosely matched cells seems more than adequate to me!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NEWTMAXXER
    This good info. I'm going to buy my son the 4x4 (can't decide on stock or Ultimate yet). A guy I work with gave me some of his matched 6 cell batteries. He asked if I had a balancer I said no. All I have is a basic peak charger. My question is should I buy a balancer for these batteries or will peak charger be okay. I'm a nitro (Race the Revo) guy at the moment and I'm really cluless on all this battery stuff. The only expierence I have with batteries was just charge them up and run in my old Tamiya days. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Balancing a pack simply makes your peak charger do a better job. A peak sensor is reading the whole pack, not individual cells. So it pretty much takes an educated guess when the pack is charged. With a balancer tray, the cells will all be rematched up while being discharged to the same level. Then when you charge it, they should all peak at the same time. Given the low price below, and the fact that you have some matched packs now, prob a good investment, even for a basher.

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr....7521.0.0.0.0?

$34.99 for a remanuf Novak Smart Tray SE !

Follow these general rules for charging...

http://www.promatchracing.com/4600.php

http://www.specpointbatteries.com/in...how_aux_page=5

The SPC site is prob a bit easier to understand. Don't overcomplicate the subject though... lol The pack should be fairly warm when properly charged, that's it in a nutshell, all the details are how to get to that point. Most likely after one or 2 charges, you will have the settings figured out on your charger, and it will be just a simple push of a button. Charge till the cells are about 115*, that is the simple way of taking all that electrical theory and making it easy to understand.
    Last edited by BT_EMT; 03-27-2010 at 09:30 PM.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusthepirate
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the 'ol Turbo Matcher, I'd just never seen "group matched" bandied about before. I -did- look on their site for the term, obviously not hard or long enough.

Loosely matched cells seems more than adequate to me!
    Yes I fully agree Sport Matched as SPC used to call them, or Group Matched is perfect for everyone but weekly dedicated racers... though it seems plenty of bashers just want "the best" and buy top matched packs anyway.

Pro Match has some TM for sale, for $50 !

http://www.promatchracing.com/prodde...?prod=TURBO435
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT
    Pro Match has some TM for sale, for $50 !
    http://www.promatchracing.com/prodde...?prod=TURBO435
    Wow, that's a hot price... Free shipping too. At that price it's almost more like they are trying to give these machines a good new home than trying to sell them. It would be an automatic purchase if it was a Turbo 35 GFX, which can both be updated to support LiPos for only $50:
    http://www.competitionelectronics.co.../upgrades.html

In that case you'd be matching LiPo cells for under $100... but I guess that's why Pro-Match hasn't listed any GFX units for $50, heh!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info. BT_EMT.

RC Competitor
    anyone using 7cell side x side packs having issues fitting it in the battery tray?
    I got some 5000 mah 7cell duratrax and i had to remove the glued foam in order to fit it and it also seems like it's a little to fat for the holder.

RC Qualifier
    Parusa3 - I have that exact battery, and yes, you have to remove the foam block. I just swap the block in and out depending on the battery I'm using.

Also re "too fat for the holder", I think you mean that you have a tough time fitting the battery retaining bar over it. (?)

I noticed the same thing, but it's not a big deal. The bar has some flexibility to it, so it eventually fits without issue. (I don't remember if I have to flip the bar over or not.)

Overall though, I like that battery.

RC Qualifier
    Not afraid to ask a dumb question here:

The stock battery is 8.4V, and I see references to 9.6V. I assume it is OK to use a 9.6V on the Slash 4x4? Does it just amount to "faster", i.e. more output from the motor?

RC Racer
    Yes it's fine to go 9.6v. The 3s Lipos run at 11.1v

Very generally speaking with my limited knowledge on batteries the higher the voltage the more power the motor can produce (up to it's limits of course)

You will get quite a big difference going from 8.4 to 9.6v!!

RC Racer
    BTW there is a guy on youtube running a 9 cell 10.8v and it's very quick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yhzFzifGBI