Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

Manne´s ERBE Bash Build project.

This thread is made to honour the memory of The great Airmaxx23 and Freez here at the Traxxas forum that is no longer with us. You are gods guys.

So here it is, my bash ERBE project . Oh god, it really took me time to get my butt on the chair and finaly post this project... but here we go!

First off i´m going to talk about what the purpose of this build is.

I wanted a truck, durable but with better handling then a maxxtruck or Savage, a truck that don´t have electrics for more money then a 1:1 sized car, a truck that could be ran any day, any time, no mather if it´s a sunny day, a rainy day or a day with snow. It should handle huge jumps like a kangaroo and hold up to those "anger" runs i do sometimes when you "just have to do that tripple backflip" no mather what it takes.

So this is what I did.

In november I bought a used ( but nearly brand new) brushed E-revo with a novak 4.5 system in it. It started to snow the second day after i´ve got it so I had to waterproof it, this was done with hotglue, since it´s very hard to get plastidip or similar in Sweden from a swedish shop. The power cap on the novak ESC smoked after three or four runs, and then i was only able to do one more run without the powercap before the esc smoked . So I Bought this

http://www.himodel.com/electric/HiMo...125A_OPTO.html

Esc since i have VERY good experience with Himodels and their speed controls which i have been using in my previous Revo 2.5 converison, but this time it didn´t went so well......I recieved the esc, fast and good looking ( for being China ) and ordered plastidip from another country and plastidipped the esc, so far so good. I did mount everything up and programmed the esc without issues. I took him out and man I was dissapointed, He glitched like crazy, jumped from forward to reverse without any "restingtime" and the brakes was not progressive as I had programmed them, they were either ON or OFF which was very undriveable so I took the truck in, re programmed, checked every cable, Changed motor to a feigao 8XL, tried to move the esc as far away from the RX as possible but no luck... So the truck just sat at my Rc desk until January.

In January I ordered a mamba max esc, a towerhobbies 2.4Ghz radio and some spares. As soon as my package came i programmed the esc with the castle link, plastidipped it, binded the reciever to the remote, assembled everything on the truck and went outside YAAAY it was a BIG SMILE on my face.
    Last edited by Manne; 03-22-2010 at 05:32 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The weaker spots on these trucks for my kind of drivingstyle is: the rear bulkhead and rear end of the chassis, the bar that the servo saver sits on, the rear part of the front skid, the rear skid, the rear body mount, the wheels and tires, the plastic diff cups, the lack of shocksocks or similar which allows dirt to destroy the o-rings, the shock retainers and the lack of rollbar.

My truck broke in half One day:

Broken parts:

So I ordered the first package of upgrades and spare parts to be prepared for summer two weeks ago and made some modifications to simply make it thougher, the package contained replacement for the broken parts, some spares and some upgrades.

RC Qualifier
    All parts ( not so many ) that came in this, the first package:

The Goldenhorizon aluminium parts has always worked really well on my trucks and has always been a direct fit, so i decided to go this route with as many parts as possible like the rear body mount and skid:

Front shot:

Rear shot:

The rear skid:

The rings that the body sits on, on my front bodymount pins seems to breake now and then, so I bought those in alu from GH as well:

RC Qualifier
    You have to have a "weak" link somewere in the suspension in my case i have decided to have the pushrodends in plastic to keep that as the weak spot and make the shock and he rockers bulletproof, and since my shock caps snapped when my chassis snapped i decided to buy those in alu too from GH:

Bumpers are like food, you eat it every day, so I bought some new since my old were finished again:

I am a fan of the talons, i like them, I like the look, but ALL FOUR of my stock rims were cracked so I bought some new for them :

And for those special And very good Traxxas wheels you will also need Special good looking Traxxas hubs :

RC Qualifier
    I also got a GH Alu steeringstop/skidbrace pin, because i didn´t find just the pin that the servo saver sits on without buying a whole servosaver in alu from a "badbrand" manufactor so i bought this instead...i wanted this part anyway so...but the other "pin" is way more importent, I will buy that part ASAP:

I gave my shocks new shock oil and dust boots:

And the new caps with the blue musshy thing:

Assembeled:

RC Qualifier
    There is a problem tho with the very nice and good GH shock retainers They sits so tight on the shock rod that they simply don´t fit when the jato shock boots are in place but there is always a solution I just bent them out a bit but I did some marks on them but that´s just okay with me... this truck is meant to get marks on it :

I have a small and simple modification to prevent the battery doors from popp-open on hard bash/race sessions, it contains CA glue and ducttape :

Last edited by Manne; 03-22-2010 at 05:38 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Something that is very importent to me is that no cables gets pinched or rubs against something that can damaged them, so I always try to keep them secure in the electric boxes. I´m using the mamba max esc, so I have to use a external Bec...the Castle bec is very close, but won´t fit in the radio box...unless... someone uses the Dremel on it and makes it shorter . It works and have been working for many hours now, I shaved off about 1mm on each side, i used melt glue to hold the wires secure in place since the soldering looked so pitty :

Now it fits :

My on/off switches in the vents:

RC Qualifier
    The rear end:

Looks really really tough with the alu bodymount, the Mistercrash style brace and the belly brace, i´m hopeing for less snapping now

RC Qualifier
    Process of rear end bellybrace:

This:

Turns to:

And then:

Test fit:

Final results:

In this picture you can also see that my front skid and my center skid are tied togheter by a screw with a nut:

RC Qualifier
    Tools used:

Small wooden hammer
    Crowbar
    Adjustable plier:

One day I had this really really wierd brakage which i fixed temporary as usual ( always have to drive ) :

So I swapped it out for some new parts :

RC Qualifier
    Just some build shots:

RC Qualifier

Messy and no motor:

Still messy but with the 8XL and the hotglued can

RC Qualifier
    Now we have some progress!:

oh yeaaahhh! not so good looking but H*ll yeah it´s functional

Rims:

And that was pretty much it for now.

List of Upgrades/mods:

Aluminium Rear skid.

Aluminium Steering stop/Skid brace.

Aluminium Rear body mount.

Aluminium Front bodypins.

Aluminium Shock caps.

Aluminium Shock retainers.

Jato shock boots.

Geode rims.

Aluminium 17mm hubs.

Rear bulkhead brace.

Front skid screwd togheter to prevent "snapping".

Mistercrash bodymount/wingmount brace.

Moved on/off switches to battery door holders/battery Vents.

Castle bec modded to fit in Rx box.

Plastidipped mambamax Esc.

Setup:

Silver springs front.

Blue springs rear.

60wt oil front and rear.

P2 rockers.

All Pushrods in the innerholes.

Alot of preload in the rear.

Little less preload in the front.

Four clips in the front of the upper front arms for most caster available.

Rear upper arms in lower holes.

Mamba max Esc.

Castle bec.

Feigao 7XL.

17/54 Gearing ( a bit low )

Towerhobbies 2.4Ghz reciever.

Towerhobbies 2.4Ghz remote.

Dual 4s 3700mah Rhino lipos.
    Last edited by Manne; 03-22-2010 at 05:44 PM.

RC Racer
    Dude i love the small wooden hammer.
    I need more R/C cash.....

RC Qualifier
    I had one 4.5 5000KV turn Novak motor and one Feigao 7XL, I decided to hot glue the can togheter on the Feigao in order to make the can stay in one piece....and it worked well....untill the motor got too hot on a hard bash :

So... i mounted the Novak instead... Geared 12/68 which should give me about 40mph on 4s. I hated the sensor wire hanging around and i thought that " I will never use a sensored esc" so i just cutted the wire off. The motor ran fine, but with a bit more cogging then the Feigao. After a few runs it started to cogg like CRAAAZYYY so I immediatly stopped the truck unplugged everything and took it inside. I removed the duct tape which covered the usb hole on the mamba max and put it so the hairdryer could dry the esc trough the hole, the mamba got wet before a few times after snow melting and the plastidipp not covering enough which made it cogg, it always worked to justdry it like this before but not this time... i dryed it for a few hours with the hair dryer, so the heatsink became VERY hot, and tried it again but no luck just alot of cogging.. not even driveable... so I deassembled the motor to check for damage but didn´t see anything...but it did smell kinda burnt.. And it was wet inside, but brushless motors can be run in water so i thought that it was my lovely little esc that had went down so I changed to the Hi model esc to search for luck but it was still the same thing. So i´ve got nuts and put the feigao in the owen:

so the hotglue should get liquid looking and just run off
    And at 400Farenheit it came off the windings in the feigaos and the rotors can really take some heat. But now what? how would I make the can stay togheter? well... time to be a homebuilder again This is what i came up with:
    Last edited by Manne; 03-22-2010 at 05:47 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I took this plate:

An whoolaa:

And it worked! It was the stupid Novak motor that was dead...I guess....Novak motors, or sensored motors DON`T LIKE WATER. My mamba has been reeplastidipped and are now working underwater.

This is just temporary untill i can buy a NEU or something similar..but there was alot of fitting issues so I hade to make the motormount sit higher on the motormount plate to clear the rxbox, the slipperclutch axle and the rear shocktower :

New holes:

Removed material from the motormount to make it fit:

GIVE ME A NEU PLEASE! I hate when it looks bad even if it is a basher/punisher...
    Last edited by Manne; 03-22-2010 at 05:50 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Anyway, the truck is running fine for now, but there is a few more thing to get for the summer. This is a small list that i came up with:

Aluminium P2 rockers, Where can I get those?

Aluminium Shock ends.

Rpm a-arms.

Rcsolution cage.

Lunsford titanium hingepins.

Traxxas aluminium hollowballs.

Traxxas Wing mount and wing.

F150 Body.

And a 17mm dishwheel with badlands (I have always used mashers before, got to try something new now).

Anyone else has any inputs on the "to get" list? and what do you think about him?

I love him

It took me four hours to make this Thread! , time goes fast when you have fun

Now give me some of those famous comments =)

RC Qualifier

Fun

Looks like fun, why don't you just invest in the mmm combo and save yourself all the trouble. Just an idea- I love! My mmm 2200 endless power and hardly any cogging with the new updates, its pretty cool I can almost crawl with it. I'm debating on attempting the waterproofing myself but am nervous it won't work out.
    That's Just How I Roll ««o==o>

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyT333
    Looks like fun, why don't you just invest in the mmm combo and save yourself all the trouble. Just an idea- I love! My mmm 2200 endless power and hardly any cogging with the new updates, its pretty cool I can almost crawl with it. I'm debating on attempting the waterproofing myself but am nervous it won't work out.

Naah, a new motor, the MMM/neu combo motor will get in it, but not the mmm, unless the mamba max fries like i chicken but I really don´t think it will.....it´s tough! the mmm seems so......un modified but i have been thinking of it... I want 5s lipo...I think.... .

so freez= cool beans? I will for sure sign up thanks man

RC Qualifier
    Ya its probly a good idea not to waist your money on a new esc if yours is fine, you should be good with just the neu motor and the mm unless you feel the need the need for umm nevermind..... your probly pretty fast with that combo, you just might want 6s someday- I personally only run 4s at 200a and its plenty fast for me. I did want to try 5s just to see what kind of power increase that might give but I don't want to risk running a used battery with a new because I don't own any 3s. Did you buy a new motor or were you able to keep that one running?
    That's Just How I Roll ««o==o>

RC Competitor
    Nice work,
    luvin ur ingenuity.
    fabulous work space!
    It's just a Hobby! Stop bein so serious & Have FUN

RC Qualifier
    Wow man... That's a lot of ingenuity and time spent on modding. I give you cudos for that. I wouldn't have had the patience! A lot of times I let my wallet override my creativeness. I would have a neu already, but grats on your perseverance!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys. When the wallet is crying, you are crying and the truck are crying to be drive, you just don´t have any other options then to do some of those home build thingys

RC Champion
    Freez is still around, visit him at his website

http://mvbashers.net/
    MBX5T|MMM/2200kv|16/46|Hitec 7955TG|KingHeadz

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by freeagent
    Freez is still around, visit him at his website

http://mvbashers.net/

but freez hasn´t posted or updated anything since 2008 or 2007 right? I think he walked away from it and just handed over the whole Mvbashers thing to some other guy? I have memories of crying while reading his "good bye" letter in my mail

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Manne
    but freez hasn´t posted or updated anything since 2008 or 2007 right? I think he walked away from it and just handed over the whole Mvbashers thing to some other guy? I have memories of crying while reading his "good bye" letter in my mail

No sir, this site is about a year old, hes cool beans, check it out!
    MBX5T|MMM/2200kv|16/46|Hitec 7955TG|KingHeadz

RC Qualifier
    You are cool dude! Rock on! Your 'Do It Yourself' vibe is wicked!
    Last edited by Ray00Ray; 03-22-2010 at 08:48 PM.
    Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah the small wooden hammer is also used when the revo is to naughty.....just kidding

Thanks, I´ll try to update as soon as i have something new comming up, like my small action pics from the first little bash I had after rebuilding

1# Loooovely!:

2#

3#

4#

5#

6#
    Last edited by Manne; 03-23-2010 at 03:27 AM.

RC Qualifier
    7#

8#

9#

10#

11#

12#

13#

14#

15#

16#

RC Qualifier
    17#

18#

So, end of the small action pics, here is what I did from a icecream box to reinforce the body

All for now

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I will go a twin velineon rout on 3s i think if my Mamba max fries. I managed to get the Feigao running .

And With the nice weather that we had here in sweden today i just had to bash... the whole day.

The snow has melted and then got frozen again so now it´s possible to walk and drive everywere, it´s like a living dream for us addicted to Rc!.

So I bashed the Erbe the whole day, did some waterskipping at the lake, never went submarine like my Merv but In the end of the day I did hit a wooden pole at 40mph... and in some magic way NOTHING major broke I was able to drive away from there and it was a straight hit, the Erbe flew about 13feet backwards .

The truck has been inspected carefully and deassembled, and the only things that broke was this:

My screw trough the front skid and the centerskid ripped trough the centerskids hole:

And it ate a bumper again!

RC Qualifier
    I took some fotage of the waterskippingplace but now action pics were made in lack of cameraman...I will get someone to take actionpics ASAP!

I was able to make a looong 35feet long skip with the Erbe man it was scary

Posing:

More posing:

Tracks

Make sure to take a look of the action pics that I took with the Merv!

Here you can see a bit of how faar it is if you are going for the long run... like I did with the Erbe

http://monster.traxxas.com/showpost....4&postcount=30

ACTION PICS:

http://monster.traxxas.com/showpost....6&postcount=31

Last edited by Manne; 03-23-2010 at 03:58 PM.

RC Competitor
    Awesome!...............
    It's just a Hobby! Stop bein so serious & Have FUN

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Going for more today but still no cameraman

RC Racer
    Airmaxx23 and I RevoRick put out all the videos back in the day, I will contact airmaxx23 and see if he can repost our old videos, glad you are missing him, just wish I got some credit too, oh well, HAHA,
    RevoRick
    Brushless all the way!!

RC Qualifier
    I feel horrible now, how in this world could I forget you?, i'm so sorry, you will be written first in the title when I post the project at the rc-monster forum! Sorry man!. I have saved all your movies actualy they are simply the best. I remember how sad i've got when I saw airmaxxs sell thread....never saw a thread about you selling tough, you still have the good old revo left?. I copied your's and airmaxx's truck setup completly because you guys really was my heroes.

RC Champion
    I'm still around just not posting or driving much. That's pretty cool about our videos getting you into a bashing truck project. I actually still have my bash revo (the one in all the videos) but it's only been driven about twice a year for the last few years since I have no one to drive with. RevoRick is working and for the most part living a few hours away now. The last time I got it out it started right up in a couple pulls and didn't need to be tuned at all. I am actually thinking about selling it along with a pile of new parts. Man I miss beating the crap out of our trucks. The funny thing is that somehow we rarely broke anything. Keep up the good work Manne.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    Airmaxx23 those are awesome videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Revoman859

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad859
    Thanks, where did you find them? I have 9 total so I might have to upload them all again.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad859

Yes you truley have, you and rick...Can´t you two move togheter and put up a bash vid for a couple of houndreddollars per week? .

No, but seriously, you guys made great vids, you have showed the "ideal" of how to bash, huge jumps, tons of flips, and realy entertaining driving.

I don´t want to think about how many hours that I have spent on reading posts from you guys and watched your vids . I still have my 18Tz laying around, I pick it up somtimes to remember the old days..

When me and my buddies had each and his own truck to bash with, and we went to the sandpits to bash, hour after hour...but now it´s just me left, alone just like in the beginning . It makes me sad to grow up and see everything fun faint away.

Yeah upload them again so all the people that hasn´t watched them yet can get a chance to see your wonderful driving and sparks from the ti skid

Thanks for the kind words

Edit:

All these works except the first one

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=390579

Edit:

OOps number 1, 3, 4 and 7 don´t work... my bad..
    Last edited by Manne; 03-31-2010 at 10:31 AM.