RC Qualifier

Trimming a lexan body advice

I bought a body yesterday, and I need to trim out the wheel wells to fit on my Stampede. What is the preferred method scissors or X-acto blade? If scissors, do I want straight or curved blades?

Thanks
    Censorship is wrong

RC Champion
    X-Acto knife. On the first pass all you'll want to do is put a very light score in the plastic using very light pressure so you have control. After that go back over the cut a second time with slightly more pressure.

Next you'll want to simply bend the lexan and you'll see the plastic snap at the cut line. For wheel wheels you'll want to use the same method to score the plastic but you'll find that because the opening is round you can't just bend the plastic to have it snap. You'll need to make a couple of "pie" cuts into the plastic using scissors so the plastic will bend and snap.

As for Lexan scissors. Save your money. They're a waste.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

I had a pair of curved lexan scissors given to me and they do a really good job for the wheel areas. Now I would not necessarily go out and buy any unless you did multiple bodies. Whatever method is used, be sure to go back with can paper on any rough edges so a tear does not start from that area.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Competitor

dremel tool

best thing is to cut close to pre scored lines. then use adremel from there, perfection

Quote Originally Posted by carraig042
    I had a pair of curved lexan scissors given to me and they do a really good job for the wheel areas. Now I would not necessarily go out and buy any unless you did multiple bodies. Whatever method is used, be sure to go back with can paper on any rough edges so a tear does not start from that area.

-Brett

I used right and left handed sheet metal shears (same method as curved lexan scissors) and my bodies turned out great. First thing I do is cut off the majority of the excess lexan, then I'll work on the close cuts last because they take the longest because you have to be very careful.

Definitely cut your bodies before painting or you'll scratch the paint off the inside with what ever you use.

RC Qualifier
    i use curved scissors and a dremel....once i get the wheel well cut i wrap some sand paper around a full soda can and smooth it up.
    Cheers,
    RomeoX
    "You Can't Fix This Car Spicoli"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a
    Definitely cut your bodies before painting or you'll scratch the paint off the inside with what ever you use.
    I cut out the pre-scored lines & drilled out the holes for the body hold down, then painted. I was too intent on lining up for the body mounts that I didnt pay attention to the fact that the tires were going to be rubbing against the body with any tight turning, or suspension travel. Am I hosed?
    Censorship is wrong

RC Qualifier
    I use numerous tools,curved lexan scissors a dremel , a hole saw and a small drum sander for my drill.For years I used just a pair of scissors and now all the other tools just make it easier to have a perfect result.Theese are my two most recient bodies.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I did this a while ago,it's kinda whooped.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    These are the scisors I use and they are well worth the money.
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=lex...scisors&_rdc=1
    Well here is a link to a number of scisors,I use the curved ones.
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Qualifier
    For the Dremel users what bit/cutting tool do you use?
    Censorship is wrong

RC Qualifier
    This is a nice bit.Differen't than the one I have but nice and cheap.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DREMEL-HIGH-SPEE...item58859f42a4
    I use the dremel to get close and then use the scisors and sanding drum for fine tuning.Be careful once you cut something it is not coming back.Dremel has lots of bits but I only use 2 of them for my needs,careful not to buy crap you will never need.
    Last edited by nitrofool; 03-18-2010 at 01:21 PM.
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the tips everyone - I'll post pics when it's all finished
    Censorship is wrong

99%er

RC Qualifier
    Body scissors would be helpful, but I use regular scissors and leave some excess, then finish it with the Dremel and drum sanding bit. It comes out as smooth as you could ask for. For the body post holes, I carefully open them up with a conical bit.

RC Qualifier
    As promised, here are some pics

I ended up getting the curved scissors, and Im glad I did really made everything easier.
    Thanks again for the advice Ill print more in the picture area.
    Censorship is wrong

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by john01374
    X-Acto knife. On the first pass all you'll want to do is put a very light score in the plastic using very light pressure so you have control. After that go back over the cut a second time with slightly more pressure.

Next you'll want to simply bend the lexan and you'll see the plastic snap at the cut line. For wheel wheels you'll want to use the same method to score the plastic but you'll find that because the opening is round you can't just bend the plastic to have it snap. You'll need to make a couple of "pie" cuts into the plastic using scissors so the plastic will bend and snap.

As for Lexan scissors. Save your money. They're a waste.
    Exactly the way I do it.
    Don't mess with the Cyber Bully

RC Qualifier
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEAL0&P=7
    For five bucks it's money well spent.
    I use them for more than just bodies.
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrofool
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEAL0&P=7
    For five bucks it's money well spent.
    I use them for more than just bodies.

Have the exact same ones. Ive cut many bodies with them. I have no problem with using curved scissors. I do a rough cut first getting getting somewhat close to the trim line and then I go back through and cut on the line. Also use a dremel when the scissors just won't do.