Thread: bearing lube

RC Enthusiast

bearing lube

Just wondering what kind of lube you guys recommend for bearings. I have the stock wheel bearings that came in the 1/10th 2wd slash. Also would I use the same for the vxl motor bearings? Is there specific I should use or something I can easily pick up locally?

RC Qualifier
    the stock wheel bearings are seal so they don't need lube, I hit them with a shot of WD40 for good measure after I go though water. the VXL motor I have no clue,

RC Qualifier
    For bearings, I use automotive heavy duty bearing grease
    SLASH IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Auto grease on exposed bearings? You don't collect everything on them? Or do you just open and pack? I use wd40 to clean bearings, hit with simple green, once clean 3in1 oil is great.
    Sorry simple green, wd40, then clean with cloth and hit 3in1
    For your motor? Disassemble, motor spray bearings and lube with really light oil, again, 3in1.
    Traxxas should just cash my checks for me

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SirJaymz
    the stock wheel bearings are seal so they don't need lube, I hit them with a shot of WD40 for good measure after I go though water. the VXL motor I have no clue,
    The bearings are sealed only to the point of keeping out MOST of the dirt they are subjected to. They are not sealed from moisture or sand though. WD40 is more of a moisture repellent than a lubricant, so I suggest sticking with bearing oil. 3in1 oil will work in a pinch, but is too thick to properly penetrate the seal on the bearing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanSky
    The bearings are sealed only to the point of keeping out MOST of the dirt they are subjected to. They are not sealed from moisture or sand though. WD40 is more of a moisture repellent than a lubricant, so I suggest sticking with bearing oil. 3in1 oil will work in a pinch, but is too thick to properly penetrate the seal on the bearing.
    good to know, I'm sorry for posting wrong info

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    bearing lube? Run them suckers till they freeze and replace!

RC Qualifier
    Care to suggest what oil folks should use? Ideally?
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Krispy
    Care to suggest what oil folks should use? Ideally?
    Any kind of bearing lube will work. Some hardware stores carry it, but I picked up some Trinity bearing lube while I was at the hobby shop. Works nice and has a real fine needle tip applicator.

RC Racer
    i use bicycle bearing lube... actually i use nearly all bicycle lubes etc on my slash

I'll take the seals out of the bearings very carefully with a sewing needle. Then I'll put them in my RPM bearing blaster and flush them with Brake Cleaner. I'll take a small screw driver and apply just regular Valvoline wheel bearing grease in them, then I'll re install the seals.

For motor screws I'll use an oil based lube such as Trinity Royal Oil, or 30wt silicon shock oil.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a
    I'll take the seals out of the bearings very carefully with a sewing needle. Then I'll put them in my RPM bearing blaster and flush them with Brake Cleaner. I'll take a small screw driver and apply just regular Valvoline wheel bearing grease in them, then I'll re install the seals.

For motor screws I'll use an oil based lube such as Trinity Royal Oil, or 30wt silicon shock oil.
    You lube your motor screws? I guess Im confused.

You lube your motor screws? I guess Im confused.

AAAHHH!!! meant to say "motor bearings".

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a
    AAAHHH!!! meant to say "motor bearings".
    Thats what I thought but wasn't sure.