RC Racer

Second motor dead :(

Hey guys,

So in the last two weeks i have now had both my Titan motors ( stocks ) out on me. The one in the 3 week old Stampede died just running it on the street... was running fine in dry conditions and then out of now where started to smoke and stopped working.

Now recently the one from my 3 week old slash took a dump. I was running it in the 4x4 slash last night, With my 1/8th scale buggy tires. Was running fine, up and down the street, over the curbs through the grass ect.. It seemed to be losing power so i pulled it in to me thinking the batter was dead. It stopped where i told it to,, then went to drive it up to my garage and nothing was responding.

Everything else works the lights on the XL-5 are responding correctly and i am getting the same 9.98volts from the motor both in reverse and forward so i am sure its not the ESC. Now i dont have another motor on hand to test for sure but i am pretty sure... so i will grab a new one tonight.

Question is, Are these motors that unreliable? I am going to replace it so i was going to pick up a modified motor so i can change out the brushes when needed.

Should i be changing the gearing around to accommodate the tires? I mean really they are not all that much bigger, If anything more rim and lower profile tire.

I know plenty of guys are running them and racing them. Now i had been using them on my 2WD slash a lot and never an issue. Now i have only put two batteries through on the 4WD and this has happended.

So what do i need to do.. stronger motor ( What would you suggest that can run on the XL-5) or do i neeed to change the gearing?

http://www.michaellambertphotography...g/newtire3.jpg

Please keep all images to a width of 640 pixels or less. To do this, you must edit the image using an image editor before you upload the picture to your host. I have changed the image(s) to link(s) and/or thumbnail(s) so that people don't have to scroll to read the thread. You can also upload thumbnails that can be selected to view the photo at the original resolution.

Edited For Language
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-11-2010 at 02:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I think the 4x4 would put too much strain on a Titan motor.
    Slash 4x4 RTR
    Platinum Slash 4x4

Also remember the Titan 12t motor have a specific break in process. I would gear the truck lower to run a XL-5 and Titan in a 4x4 truck. The truck came geared for the included brushless system.

RC Racer
    What gearing would you suggest?

I only ran the stock gear/setup as that is what i was instructed by Traxxas... When i called about the VXL system. I was annoyed that i had to ship it in and the guy on the phone said i could use my XL-5 system in its place in the mean time. I even asked do i need to change anything and he said no that by running the XL-5 system i will notice a decrease in speed but that is all.

RC Qualifier
    You have to monitor temps with a temp gun to really tell where you can go with the gearing. On an untested setup like that, I would run for a minute or two, check temps and repeat that process while changing gearing as necesary to find the best set-up.

There isn't anyway a Traxxas tech on the other end of the phone can tell you exactly what gearing to use on that set-up.

RC Racer
    So what is considered a bad temperature. I mean i do have my temp gun which i was using on the ESC, i was worried about the overload on teh ESC not the motor... The esc was running 58 degree's when it died and i picked the truck up motor and it was barely warm to the touch!

RC Qualifier
    I would think it is a very bad idea to put a titan in a 4x4 slash.
    More RC's than most of the people here.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmr4life
    I would think it is a very bad idea to put a titan in a 4x4 slash.
    I couldn't agree more. You get what you pay for. A 5$ titan will give you little because you paid little. Go with a VXL3s (or better MMM2200/2650) and you'll have other broken parts to fix (no brushes to replace)...and your face will hurt from smiling as you do your repairs.

There is nothing Titanic about a Titan. Classic marketing misnomer IMO.
    ERevoMMM2200
    T1E/Berg4PK
    4x4MMM1512.1Y
    4x2VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Westgraphix
    I think the 4x4 would put too much strain on a Titan motor.
    2nd that, very true.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p