Thread: Locked up 4x4

RC Qualifier

Question Locked up 4x4

Hey guys, so I ran my slash pretty hard the other day on a softball field and it was pretty wet. The truck got super muddy so I rinsed it off real quick and it looks good as new. I realize that the metal parts will rust if you don't dry them off so I too compressed air to it right after washing. However, after I let it sit overnight all four wheels were pretty locked up. After I rolled it a little using some force, I put a pack in it to spin the tires a little bit. After doing this it loosened up and now rolls pretty well. But it still doesn't roll the greatest.

What would you guys recommend I do? I'm hoping something isn't locked up from rust inside somewhere but I guess if it is I will have to replace it. Has anybody else had this happen? Any recommendations would be great. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    take your truck apart and check you bearings.

what i do after i ran through mud or snow or water is clean the truck, take of the weels and the other parts to get to the bearings and spray a bit of WD40 on the bearings.

I bet you just blew the water everywhere with the compressor. no need for that. after washing , just let it sit and dry out abit and then take your truck apart. make it clean an lube
    slash 4x4 VXL, Novak HV4.5, MMP

RC Competitor
    Drishat bearing check it before you damge your slipper/diff

RC Racer
    WD40 will displace the water and is a rust inhibitor, i have found its great using it on everything but the bearings.

When i run it hard through the mudd/water which i do often, I will take it apart and clean the bearings in WD40 and then use some 3in1 oil to lube up the bearings.

RC Qualifier
    Great! thanks everyone for the replies! I will get some 3in1 oil or some kind of bearing lubricant today and check all of them. Hopefully this will help! Thanks again!

-Dan

RC Champion
    I like to let them (bearings) go for a swim in 3in1 for a few hours.
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 03-10-2010 at 01:57 PM.

RC Racer
    Pick up the 3in1 its cheap ( the white and red tin ). Also pick up some marine grease ( for packing your diffs ) stuff is cheap and great for the plastics. I can post a shot of what it looks like when i get home.

When everything is cleaned up i spray it down with WD40 just to prevent the metal screws and springs from rusting. Make sure you don't get it on the motor.... lol Unless you want to see fireworks for the first few mins of running the motor.

RC Qualifier
    well, just an update but I put bearing lubricant on all the bearings (at least I think I got them all) but it still has a slight tightness to it. It does roll fairly well, but not quite as good as it did new. I am pleased, but I did find out that the driveshaft does have quite a bit of looseness from forward to back. When it is all the way forward it grinds harder than when it is all the way back.

I'm wondering if I can do a mod I have seen on here before where you put a rustler stub axle in the front (or something like that, I'll have to read the thread again) if it will fix the problem of so much movement.

Anyways, thanks for the tips!

RC Qualifier
    the wheels are a problem, but the motor bearings are probably an issue that is being overlooked. My rustler did the same thing, and once I "broke" it loose, it was fine for a few hours. The motor bearings were trashed. They got water int hem and needed replacing. I'm not saying you have this issue, but it's something to look at. It will help a lot.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dkaiser
    well, just an update but I put bearing lubricant on all the bearings (at least I think I got them all) but it still has a slight tightness to it. It does roll fairly well, but not quite as good as it did new. I am pleased, but I did find out that the driveshaft does have quite a bit of looseness from forward to back. When it is all the way forward it grinds harder than when it is all the way back.

I'm wondering if I can do a mod I have seen on here before where you put a rustler stub axle in the front (or something like that, I'll have to read the thread again) if it will fix the problem of so much movement.

Anyways, thanks for the tips!
    The drive cup(?) in front of the slipper is adjustable. You can take the slop out of the driveshaft.
    What?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by osteologation
    The drive cup(?) in front of the slipper is adjustable. You can take the slop out of the driveshaft.
    really? how do you do this?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dkaiser
    really? how do you do this?
    Loosen the set screw. Adjust it. Tighten set screw. I had noticed it while I had the rear end disassembled.

If you look at this exploded view it is part number 6888.

http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/6808_driveline.pdf
    What?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! I just adjusted it and it did help. There definitely isn't as much slack but there is some. Not enough to make it bind like it did before though, so it worked! haha.

RC Racer
    yeah mine still has a little slack but not the insane amount it came with.
    What?