RC Competitor

changing 17mm hex to 14mm hex?

I own a revo 3.3 and a emaxx. I want to change my revo 3.3 17mm wheel hex to 14mm so i can switch tires between my emaxx and revo 3.3. Do you think this would cause extra stress and strip out the wheels. Thanks.
    Revo 3.3
    Emaxx
    Slash
    Rustler

No it will work ok the revo used to come with 14mm hexes all they did was change to the 17mm.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Wagon
    I own a revo 3.3 and a emaxx. I want to change my revo 3.3 17mm wheel hex to 14mm so i can switch tires between my emaxx and revo 3.3. Do you think this would cause extra stress and strip out the wheels. Thanks.
    Consider using the hot racing clamping style 14mm hexes.They stay put on the pins and wont strip out or mess up your rims.

RC Competitor
    hot racing, i will have to look into that. thanks
    Revo 3.3
    Emaxx
    Slash
    Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by Power Wagon

Though you will have less surface area on your hexs, all the tmaxxs and revo came with them stock. Just buy the plastic hexs, pins, and nuts and call it a day. Make sure to tighten the nuts very tight, my buddies have stripped out a few when they didnt tighten down the nuts alot. I've never tried the clamping 14mm's but to each their own. Plastic on plastic wont wear nearly as fast as aluminum on plastic.
    Learn by doing

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by KyLeader7
    Though you will have less surface area on your hexs, all the tmaxxs and revo came with them stock. Just buy the plastic hexs, pins, and nuts and call it a day. Make sure to tighten the nuts very tight, my buddies have stripped out a few when they didnt tighten down the nuts alot. I've never tried the clamping 14mm's but to each their own. Plastic on plastic wont wear nearly as fast as aluminum on plastic.
    Actually the hot racing hexes measure out to the same surface area as those of the stock hexes and then use some blue locktite on both the clamping screws and the wheel nuts and you will never have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Huey
    use some blue locktite on both the clamping screws and the wheel nuts and you will never have issues.
    Regardless of how the hex attaches to the stub axle and pin the plastic hex is less likely to strip the wheel hex than an aluminum hex if/when the wheel nut comes loose.

BB engines and 14mm wheels and hex's are a recipe for a stripped wheel.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man
    Regardless of how the hex attaches to the stub axle and pin the plastic hex is less likely to strip the wheel hex than an aluminum hex if/when the wheel nut comes loose.

I dont recall reading anything about a BB used here but a 3.3 was mentioned and if you double nut them with locktite they do hold up.

To each his own...
    Double nuts and lock-tite are a Band-Aid for wheel nuts IMO and are not needed if the nylock nuts are in good condition.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Racer
    I had first hand experience with this just today. Roached the wheel hex with RD Logic 14mm axle hexes installed.

I put 4 tanks through my 2.5R Revo today but didn't quite make one 250cc tank on the BB Revo because of the roached wheel.

RC Racer
    To each his own...
    Double nuts and lock-tite are a Band-Aid for wheel nuts IMO and are not needed if the nylock nuts are in good condition.
    But if the band-aid stops the bleeding then its all good.

RC Champion
    I still run 14mm hex's on my revo with emax wheels/tires and no problems.
    Racehorse duct taped to a scud missile fast.

RC Competitor
    I stuck with the 17mm hex. Used some loctite and it seems alright for now.
    Revo 3.3
    Emaxx
    Slash
    Rustler

RC Qualifier
    does anyone have a link to the "hot racing clamping style 14mm hexes"....i cant seem to locate them
    Cheers,
    RomeoX
    "You Can't Fix This Car Spicoli"