RC poster

Noob Slash questions

Ok first of all I am just getting back into RC cars after 20 years so has been a bit of a learning curve.

As the titlel suggests I am looking at getting a getting a Slash, no my main question is what are the differences between the Slash XLR, Slash Platinum edition, and the Slash Ultimate? Aside from extremely obvious that is. I understand they are all upgrades to varying degrees from the normal Slash 4x4, and the PLatinum Edition doesn't some with a radio. However beyond that I am lost.

I am looking for something that I can tool around with the kids, but will not require more than a few minor upgrades when I go to get back into racing.

Also I am obviously fairly out of date on radios so if the PE is the best bet then I am really at a loss as to what to look at in a radio, so any suggestions there would be appreciated.

Finally any suggestions for additional upgrades to bulletproof or better yet a link to a consolidated list of relevent upgrades would be appreciated. I have tried searching this site and a few others but have only found a few things sporadically. Also doesn't help that I am still trying to narrow down the best option.

Thank you in advance for any help.

RC Racer
    I just bought both a 2wd and a 4x4 RTR I loved how simple it was to get right back into it. I think the stock one is the best bet. THE PE are hard to find and the Ult is sorta overkill for what you are asking to do with it.

RC Racer
    I would go with the RTR because of the availibility and then if something on it breaks just upgrade it as you go along. The truck could use a better charger than the one it comes with for sure. I would look at maybe a venom or racers edge charger.

RC Qualifier
    RTR=(ready to run) all stock and plenty of fun.

Plat= RTR+ clear body you have to paint, center diff, stickier tires, aluminum carriers, sway bars and such.(Most upgrades for racing) Still need Radio and Batteries and battery charger.(limited edition)

Ult= Plat + radio and battery and charger.(over kill)
    Last edited by sfd6532; 03-06-2010 at 07:06 AM.
    Slash, Slash 4x4, T-Maxx 3.3, E-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    PE was good for ppl who didn't like the pre-painted shells & had their own radio gear. This model since discontinued.

If you're the type who like hopping up cars, get the best-spec'd version you can afford ie Ultimate. Be cheaper than buying a base RTR & adding the options individually.

You might want to consider a pair of RTR 2WDs for the kids also

2WD Spec racing is a cool way to get reacquainted with racing too,
    takes more skill to slide a 4x2 around a track than a 4x4 point-n-squirt.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dtnel
    When you buy a charger make sure you buy one that'll do at least a 5 cell lipo with a built in balancer. I use the triton eq , and get a lipo sack. this charger will charge the stock battery that comes with it. go with the stock rtr. comes with 2. 4 link radio and you'll like that as you add more cars in the future. when you think your ready for lipo get a 3 cell venom 5400 mah or higher lipo battery. you'll love the runtime. HOPE this all helps.
    hit the nail right on the head! +1