Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    189

    My first Slash!!!

    Will be here by the end of the week!! I cant wait! I do need a lil advice from you guys tho.... I will need a new charger as I am told the one that comes with it is a lame one.

    I have done my searching and researchin...but my question is...I plan on goin LiPo here soon and I dont need a top of the line charger...something middle of the road would be nice but dont get me wrong if I can find a top of the line charger for a good price it is gonna get snatched up!

    I know a lot of this stuff when it comes to brand names and stuff is opinionated but I would love your rundown on chargers and LiPo's too? Mebbe give me a list of your top 5? Also does anyone know if Traxxas is ever gonna make a LiPo battery?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    164
    I run a Venom Pro charger. It is around 100$ or so. I noticed that the Thunder AC6 is pretty much exactly the same charger with a diff face.. the Balancer is a little diff and no temp wire. I love my venom. Both can change TRX and deans etc etc look them up online there is lots of reviews and pics.
    Ride it hard ride it fast.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    636
    yeah the one that comes with it takes forever to charge a battery.

    heres the lipo charger I got. it has a lipo, nihm charger, balencer, discharger all together.

    $25

    http://*********.com/*********/store...idProduct=7028

    and then youll need the power supply $16

    http://*********.com/*********/store...idProduct=6477

    together it cost $41

    then I just ordered these lipos for my PE Slash

    $20.

    http://*********.com/*********/store...idProduct=9172

    so You can get a lipo Charger, power supply, and 2 lipos for under $100. I love my charger. you will want to get a lipo bag if you do go lipos. to charger the lipos in.

    and not sure how much you know about lipos but you have to monitor them do not leave them alone. They can be dangerious in the wrong hands. but as long as you monitor them while charging in a lipo bag and store them correctly youll be good.
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    164
    From that charger it looks like everyone's charger looks like everyone's charger.. haha must all be made in same plant. That is alot cheeper then mine if it does the same thing!
    Ride it hard ride it fast.

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    313


    ******* has decent batteries, but I would go with something a little more reliable. Best charger for the money is the Duratrax Onyx 230. I think its only about $60, and works amazingly well. Backlight lcd screen, around a 7 battery memory, and it has a 5 year warranty. Can't really beat it. I understand saving money, but not when it comes to lipo stuff. ******* batteries are decent for bashing, but not up to par with something like maxamps or tp. I'm guessing its the same with chargers.
    50 characters? Fail.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    636
    lol really. ITs great. does everything i need. and very easy to use. the only thing that stinks is they dont send ya instructions with it so I had to find the manual online.
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTPretender


    ******* has decent batteries, but I would go with something a little more reliable. Best charger for the money is the Duratrax Onyx 230. I think its only about $60, and works amazingly well. Backlight lcd screen, around a 7 battery memory, and it has a 5 year warranty. Can't really beat it. I understand saving money, but not when it comes to lipo stuff. ******* batteries are decent for bashing, but not up to par with something like maxamps or tp. I'm guessing its the same with chargers.
    really alot of guys(bashers and Racers) go with ******* over maxamps.
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    164
    I feel ripped off now. I think I paid 180$ can$ for my charger 3 months ago. Hmmmm
    Ride it hard ride it fast.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by PontiacGT201
    really alot of guys(bashers and Racers) go with ******* over maxamps.
    True. Really not a fan of maxxamps, but I don't doubt they have very high quality matched cells. Just way to much $. ******* is great, been looking to buy some 3s lipos from them soon.
    50 characters? Fail.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NE Lake County, IL
    Posts
    377
    I bought my Thunder AC6 from hobbypartz.com for a tad under $60 shipped. It's a great charger, It came with several different connections for different chargers, it however DOES NOT come with deans or TRX connectors. You can use the aligator clips to charge though if needed. It also comes with a balance block with several choises. Several guys at the track including me have this charger, apparently it's 1 of the better ones out there.

    For a charger/balancer that's less than $60 shipped that can do Lipo, NiMH, NiCad, Li-Fe, and other's? Not too bad IMO. This charger charges up to 5a, cuts off at the batteries mAh rating, can store up to 5 settings and other stuff, I'm very happy with it.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Caro, MI
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by PontiacGT201
    yeah the one that comes with it takes forever to charge a battery.

    heres the lipo charger I got. it has a lipo, nihm charger, balencer, discharger all together.

    $25

    http://*********.com/*********/store...idProduct=7028

    and then youll need the power supply $16

    http://*********.com/*********/store...idProduct=6477

    together it cost $41

    then I just ordered these lipos for my PE Slash

    $20.

    http://*********.com/*********/store...idProduct=9172

    so You can get a lipo Charger, power supply, and 2 lipos for under $100. I love my charger. you will want to get a lipo bag if you do go lipos. to charger the lipos in.

    and not sure how much you know about lipos but you have to monitor them do not leave them alone. They can be dangerious in the wrong hands. but as long as you monitor them while charging in a lipo bag and store them correctly youll be good.
    you can make a pretty good 12v power source from an computer power supply. my old 300watt has 14 amps on the 12v lead. ive got maybe $10 into banana plugs form radio shack and i can power both my chargers worry free.
    What?

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    636
    if you can solder then you can solder the trx connectors on the charger and batterys. thats what I did
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

  13. #13
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,122
    this is a grate charger http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-LCD-Display

    and a grate balencer is http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ttery-Balancer


    my friend and my brother have this combo and it works grate and it will be my combo too
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stockton, Ca.
    Posts
    928
    Here's my 2 cents AC/DC/Balance Charger and 2 3s lipos
    $130 Delivered to my door.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •