RC Racer

Red face Best things to upgrade first on a Stock 4x4.

I have a bone stock Slash 4x4 I am wondering what I should buy to keep it running. What are the most common upgrades to start with?

Thanks!!

RC Racer
    1952x...(aluminum stub carriers) will save you money in the long run, and some aggravation.

RC Racer
    is it pretty much a safe bet anything from STRC is also a good buy for a upgrade?

RC Qualifier
    Honestly, I've ran my bone stock 4x4 about a dozen run's already and it's taken some decent hits. I don't need to upgrade anything just yet but I have springs, motor heat sink with a fan in it, and RPM A-Arm's on their way in. Should have everything but the springs tomorrow. In a few week's I will be doing a complete shock rebiuld using big bore shock's, losi front springs, and T-Maxx white progressive rear springs and 60 wt oil in back, 55 wt in front. If you plan on racing alot and be competitive the shock setup is a must!
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    sounds like a good idea. I will not be racing much maybe a few here and there but mostly just somthing to play around with at the Drag strip while my gf does some passes.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosscofat
    sounds like a good idea. I will not be racing much maybe a few here and there but mostly just somthing to play around with at the Drag strip while my gf does some passes.
    If your not gonna do alot of racing then you can skip out on a lot of upgrades to save money. All you might want to consider is a motor heat sink with biult in fan and buy some lipo 3s or 4s 8000mah batteries and a heat gun. You'll want to monitor your motor and ESC temp's closely with stock gearing and 3s/4s batteries. You want to keep your motor temp under 190* (it'll be hotter inside), and keep your ESC under 140*. You can combat this with gearing the motor with a lower pinion by a tooth or 2.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    There will be alot of bashing going on for sure tho.

With Lipo is a 2s a big improvement over a stock 3000mah 8.4? Or is a 3s the best bet. Whats a good battery to go with? Something that requires no modding.

RC Qualifier
    Ohhh yeah, the supplied 3000mah NiMH battery is a good begginner battery but a 2s 5000mah lipo is world's better then the dated NiMH batteries. I'm running 2s right now for racing and I have gobs of power for around 30-35 minute's. The 3000mah NiMH lasts about 20 minute's. The 3s 5000mah will give you more HP so to speak, boost that to a 8000mah pack and more power with a little longer run time. The more cell's you use the faster you will likely go. I would suggest a 3s 5000-8000mah battery pack. Keep in mind that you will need to balance your batteries while charging for best performance out of that battery and to extend that batteries life. You don't need to do this but if you want your batteries to perform to their best at all times, don't skimp on no balancing!

Oh, do some research on batteries. There's a lot out there and there's a lot of price ranges as well. I bought my batteries from specpointbatteries.com. There's a lot of batteries available!
    Last edited by AudioStylz; 03-04-2010 at 10:44 PM.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    I have a venom Pro charger. Is that a good enough charger? Where can I buy a Lipo pack with a traxxas plug already attached? does it matter if it is a 11.1v or a 7.4v? I pm you to save the trouble of the forum
    Last edited by Rosscofat; 03-04-2010 at 10:47 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I have a venom Pro charger. Is that a good enough charger? Where can I buy a Lipo pack with a traxxas plug already attached? does it matter if it is a 11.1v or a 7.4v?
    The link I provided above ( I was editing my post when you responded) has battery pack's with TRX female connectors already on them. Venom also has batteries with TRX connectors as well. Your charger is a good choise. Friend of mine as one just like that only his is Blue Annodized in color. It already balances your battery by plugging in that little white connector, awesome feature there.

7.4v is 2s, 11.1v is 3s, ect. It does matter if your looking for speed, the higher the voltage the faster your truck can go.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    Perfect! time to start buying stuff!!

RC Qualifier
    Perfect! time to start buying stuff!!
    Do yourself a favor, buy 3s packs with as high of a mAh as you can find, you won't regret it!
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    plus one on the 3s packs - i use those packs more than any others
    EREVOs, Slashes, 1/16 Slash, EMAXX, VXL Villain

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew
    plus one on the 3s packs - i use those packs more than any others
    I would too but local tracks here only allow 2s hard case packs only.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    I am now trying to find the best 3s 11.1v battery with TRX connection.. any places I should look? I don't think I need the Hardcase. Also what balancing tab would I need for a venom charger?

RC Qualifier
    I am now trying to find the best 3s 11.1v battery with TRX connection.. any places I should look? I don't think I need the Hardcase. Also what balancing tab would I need for a venom charger?
    That depends on how much you want to spend. You don't need hard case if you don't want it but just know that if you goto race you won't be allowed to with 3s, just saying. As for the balancing there should be a spot on your charger, just plug it all in and go.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    Ii have the same charger, you should have gotten all the accessories with it unless you bought it used and they kept the balancer.

RC Racer
    I have the balancer block. But I am looking at Maxamps and they ask what kind of balance tabs you want.

RC Qualifier
    Oh,...I gotcha-- You want the white plastic tap to plug into the venom charger balancer, not the "bullet plug" looking one.

RC Qualifier
    Aluminum Carriers & Steering Blocks, Big Bores, ESC Fan, and part number 6888x it's the "metal" front hub for the drive shaft. I've gone through 4 of the plastic ones on my PE.

Other then that replace as they break. RPM now makes A-Arms and a front bumper.
    Slash 4X4 PLATINUM EDITION, Revo 3.3 Crawler

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. eXtreme
    RPM now makes A-Arms and a front bumper.
    They sure do! I only bought the RPM A-Arms...

Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    sounds like a good idea! I will start buying today. How long does it take for RPM to ship out stuff>

RC Champion
    I run an SPC 3s 8000mah lipo. Its a beast with 40+ min of runtime. Def need a heatsink though
    Drive it like you stole it or leave it shelved

RC Qualifier
    sounds like a good idea! I will start buying today. How long does it take for RPM to ship out stuff>
    Well I placed my order Teusday night, paid the $10.50 or something like that for UPS 3 day select and had them on Friday afternoon at around 2PM. Usual ground shipping probably would have been Monday/Teusday at the latest. Tonight at the track EVERYONE with a 4x4 were asking what they were and how to get them. Feel's good to be the only one with a new part like this. Held up awesome too.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    I am in canada so I guess I will expect a little longer. Just Ordered A arms, Light canisters, front and rear bumpers and the most important part the mud flaps.!

RC Qualifier
    I'm torn about the front/rear bumpers. My stock ones are doing well, if I break one I then might replace it with RPM. Looking forward to the next RPM Slash 4x4 part they come out with.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    Looks like I can not make a order if it is not in stock.. haha I got my card ready and I can not buy anything! this sucks.. STRC does not have anything I really need also. I want to bling my ride but everyone already ordered the parts before me. I guess its time to search for a battery I guess.

RC Champion
    depending on what you are looking for the strc web site has some of the parts in stock.
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Racer
    I am looking for arms and bumpers.. I am now onto Jconcepts

RC Qualifier
    Looks like I can not make a order if it is not in stock.. haha I got my card ready and I can not buy anything! this sucks.. STRC does not have anything I really need also. I want to bling my ride but everyone already ordered the parts before me. I guess its time to search for a battery I guess.
    Amainhobbies.com is out of stock? WOW that didn't take long. How about TowerHobbies.com??
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Racer
    is ProTEK a good battery?