RC Champion

How is this battery and charger?

Hi,
    I'm looking to get these for my new PE. Thoughts?
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html Charger
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s..._Car_Lipo_Pack battery

I am new to Lipo so treat me like a noob! How long would it take to charge this battery with this charger? Any problems as far as soldering traxxas connectors to the both of them? And is there anything else I need to get for these two to be able to charge and use them?

Thanks!
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Racer
    wouldnt bother with ********* or *********. whatever people may say doesnt mean it wont happen to you. i have heard equal positive and negatives about these 2 stores. And personally the negatives outweigh the positive. Unless of course you like to set your house on fire with one of these batteries, i would stay away.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sugaluva
    wouldnt bother with ********* or *********. whatever people may say doesnt mean it wont happen to you. i have heard equal positive and negatives about these 2 stores. And personally the negatives outweigh the positive. Unless of course you like to set your house on fire with one of these batteries, i would stay away.
    Have you ever had one of the *******? These ******* packs are great and at the cost you cant go wrong. I have 8 5000 2s and love them.
    Last edited by E-REVOdreamer; 03-01-2010 at 07:24 PM.
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Mini Revo VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Micro-T

RC Racer
    actually i have and the battery had a bad cell that caught on fire and almost burnt down my house. Yes i was charging it the way i was supposed to as well.

RC Champion
    5200 mAh 2S pack needs 2S voltage (4.2x2=8.4v) at 5.2 amps (1C charge rate for a 5200 mAh pack) = 43.68 watts = 1 hour charge approx.

The Thunder AC6 is 5 amps at 50 watts on AC and I think slightly more on DC.

YES It will work for charging one pack at a time. At 5.0 amps it will just take a few minutes longer.

Soldering a Traxxas connector to those thick wires is a bit of a challenge even for someone like myself with a lot of soldering experience.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...98#post4366198 See post #13.

If cost is an issue .... what you have linked will work. If you want to charge two of those lipos at the same time in one hour you need a much bigger charger.

Bob
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC Champion
    Yes, cost is kind of an issue as I am spending a lot on the truck itself.
    That being said, what charger would you recommend and would it make that much of a difference?

RC Champion
    Is charge time the only benefit of a better charger?"

RC Qualifier
    First of all, can you solder? If not the ******* and the other might be out of question. Another great choice is spc. On the charger I have the ******* 50w.It's simple to use and works grat but you will have to solder or buy a traxxas connector for it.
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Mini Revo VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Micro-T

RC Champion
    Yes, I can solder. I've soldered Traxxas connectors on batteries before.

RC Qualifier
    ******* batteries use massive 8 gauge wire, I had to modify my trx connectors for the coating to sit in there properly, as long as you have a decent iron, access to a dremel and some patience, you will be fine Note- you can do it without modifying the connector, buy it looks much cleaner if you bore them out to fit

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSlash4x4
    Yes, cost is kind of an issue as I am spending a lot on the truck itself.
    That being said, what charger would you recommend and would it make that much of a difference?
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...r_&_discharger

OK Here is 10 amps and 200 watts for $50. (Plus power supply???)

With the correct parallel tap adapter and parallel power adapter you could charge BOTH 2S 5200 mAh packs in parallel at 10 amps and have them both charged in about 65 minutes +/-. You would be saving an hour of lipo charging baby sitting time every time you charge both packs together. Isn't a few dollars more for a charger and some harnesses worth saving an hour of time .... EVERY time you have two packs to charge?

PM me if you want info on the correct harnesses.

I've done over a hundred Traxxas connectors .... and those big fat wires are a challenge!!

Bob
    Last edited by Hughes500Bob; 03-02-2010 at 07:37 AM.

RC Champion
    Great post and link... thanks!
    What is all else I would need for that charger? Links?
    Again, serious Lipo noob here.
    I appreciate all the help.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughes500Bob
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...r_&_discharger

OK Here is 10 amps and 200 watts for $50. (Plus power supply???)

With the correct parallel tap adapter and parallel power adapter you could charge BOTH 2S 5200 mAh packs in parallel at 10 amps and have them both charged in about 65 minutes +/-. You would be saving an hour of lipo charging baby sitting time every time you charge both packs together. Isn't a few dollars more for a charger and some harnesses worth saving an hour of time .... EVERY time you have two packs to charge?

Bob
    Will it still be a balance charge if you try and charge 2 batts at one time?

Slash, consider that shipping is going to be $30+ from ********* if you order batteries too.
    Last edited by yeti as3; 03-02-2010 at 09:57 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Yes it will balance charge. Here's mine on charging and connected to balance and battery lead. This is a 5amp charger use the 10amp charger and leads hughes500bob suggested and your good to go

RC Qualifier
    I have the exact same charger/balancer. It's very easy to use once you read the manual and figure out how to navigate through the menu. The unit does get a little warm but nothing too bad. It took about 60-70 minute's to charge 1 2s 20c 5000mah battery at 5amp's charge.

Several guy's at the track stopped and took a look at my charger. They all wanted 1 but wanted to see it 1st. After they took a look they said "Awesome charger, Look's like I'll order mine this weekend!" I expect to see 5-6 new Thunder AC6 charger's this week lol.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti as3
    YES!

For LiPos > If you charge two packs in parallel with a parallel power harness .... You need a parallel balance tap adapter.

Two 2S 5200 in parallel = 2S 10400 = 2S(8.4v) x 10.4 amps = 87.36 watts

For LiPos > If you charge two packs in series with a series power harness .... You need a series balance tap adapter.

Two 2S 5200 is series = 4S 5200 = 4S(16.8v) x 5.2 amps = 87.36 watts

Here is a picture of series with two 2S packs and typical JST-XH/XE type connectors:

Combining lipos for running the motor/motors is the same math as charging .... it's just that you should also combine the balance taps when charging.

IMO parallel charging is easier and safer if you have the amps and watts.
    Series needs exactly the right connections .... less amps,more volts, and same watts.

Bob

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti as3

Slash, consider that shipping is going to be $30+ from ********* if you order batteries too.
    Wait a minute... are you saying that if i order that one battery it will be $20 plus $30 for shipping???

RC Qualifier
    Wait a minute... are you saying that if i order that one battery it will be $20 plus $30 for shipping???
    More than likely. Only because ********* is located oversea's. Shipping by boat freight cost's a lot more and takes 2-3 weeks longer. Unless there's some huge advantage with their batteries you're better off sticking to a company within the states.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Champion
    Baaaaa!

RC Qualifier
    Shipping from HK to Michigan for me was $12.

3s 5000mah 20c $42 shipped

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson08
    Shipping from HK to Michigan for me was $12.

3s 5000mah 20c $42 shipped
    Ah. (Sigh of relief) Thanks, I almost had a heart attack.

RC Qualifier
    Ah. (Sigh of relief) Thanks, I almost had a heart attack.
    2 batteries shipped to your door and express shipping is $60.21. Express shipping to me in Calif takes 7days. Regular shipping has taken 7 to 21 days

Quantity Stock Product description Price Weight
    -42 T5200.2S.30 - ******* 5200mAh 2S 30C Hard-Case Car Lip..
    This item is on backorder* $44.26 760
    Total: $44.26 760g
    EMS Express to USA (MAX 1kg) $25.95 239g left.

1 battery shipped to your door $35.25

T5200.2S.30 - ******* 5200mAh 2S 30C Hard-Case Car Lip..
    This item is on backorder* $22.13 380
    Total: $22.13 380g
    International (Registered) Air Mail 251-500g $12.12 120g left.
    Last edited by radicalray; 03-02-2010 at 07:12 PM.