RC Qualifier

RB TM523 Engine review.

ok to start off with the link on the engine. http://www.rb-usa.com/main.php?part=...01901-523000/R
    I just got done with running 6 tanks threw it. Lots of power it has what i knoticed so far is that using the easy start on it makes a close fit on the throttle linkage on the carb. i had to bend the ground going to it so i could open the throttle all the way out. i ran a 16T 38SP these were ok for me i think tomarrow im going to try the stock 14T my revo came with. the 16T would be great for a stock or lighter revo 5309. I have axial beadlock rims and proline 40 series tires with a 1lb roll cage, so that gearing took forever to get speed up with all the added weight. my temps on the engine were running at 214-250 it was running rich about 5 turns out manfacture comes at 6 turns out. i did notice it was hard to keep it at 244 and higher temp the engine cools down real fast. the outside temp here was at around 70. the best power band temp i seen so far is at 225-250 with all the weight i got i was almost able to pull a wheelie. im hoping that when i try the 14T i will be able to pull off a wheelie with the weight. another thing to add the exaush it comes with is loud and high pitched people will really know your wide open on the throttle when you do hit it. on startup you cant start like how you do on the 3.3 engine you got to bump start it. what i mean is you cant hold the button down on the easy start to try and crank it it will flood easly. just tap the button and it will crank in the first 3 times you hit it. the fuel i was using is Byrans GEN2 25% Racing fuel it has 11% oil mix in it at a 80% synthetic and 20% castrol mix. It burns clean even when running rich so you dont need to use after run oil. The only real bad thing i knoticed is that the glow plug that comes in it kinda sucks. The end doesnt light up on and they dont see that type of glow plug at all. So im thinking its a special break in glow plug. im not too familar with the turbo glow plugs so that all i can really say about that.
    Revo 3.3, Slash 4x4, Savage X it really does suck.

RC Qualifier
    Today I have a rain delay on the stock gearing run maybe tomarrow if it dries out enough. I keep everyone posted on this.

RC Qualifier
    Ok finally got a good dry day. It ran today. I ran to tanks with a rich tune that i broke it in with all the weight i have on it the 14T worked perfect. I did notice that it lacked power still untill it was over 220 the it woke up. you do have to adjust the trans for it to run 2nd gear before its warmed up. it couldnt go into 2nd untill the temp hit over 220 then it would hit 2nd everytime i tried. temps never stayed to high on it even when it was wrapped up since the tmep over here is 60 right now. with the extra 1.5 lbs i got when it gets warmed up it will still pull a wheelie. i did notice that with the entergy flywheel and 3 shoe clutch that the stock CB's fit too tight and drag on the CB.
    Last edited by carraig042; 03-12-2010 at 08:19 AM.

RC Qualifier
    People say that the engine has a lean and rich problem when the vehical turns left and right. well i see no difference in it when turning so if there is its not a big deal. Another thing is all engines are but the same only difference is the size and weight of them. This engine has all the same parts as my other engines no added new parts to it. The only reason I can see someone saying the it gets rich and lean going around conors. Is that if they got the wrong type of exaust on it. if you run one too small or too big the exaust flow that keeps pressure on the fuel line will vary thats why you buy the Revo kit. The exaust that comes with it is made for the engine perfectly. Its larger that the stock revo's but smaller than the 1/8 scales exaust.

RC Qualifier
    Ok found out why I had the power issue my slipper clutch wasnt tight enough. I did what traxxas told me todo with that engine and it wasnt right. Now that I got full torque on the trans i see the problem with it. Heres the catch at 85% or so torque on the trans it wont have that problem, also if your not at full throttle when ur turring left it will not do it. That leads me to think it might be a gearing issue in the revo or something todo with the fuel pressure.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like you have a good RB there, my experience wasnt so good with my 323, it never ran well, i suffered with the lean left, right rich issue, there was nothing wrong with the exhaust as it was the rb exhaust that came with the engine. the 323 was just a piece of crud really, i am told that the 523 is way better.

After 1 gallon the engine bearings fell apart and i went back to traxxas engines, i was forever realligning the carb, changing plugs, not fun, my new 3.3 is great.

Glad yours is running so well.
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Qualifier
    The leaning on the turn issue did happen once i had a full torque load on it. the engine bogged down and dies everytime i made a turn. but the good news is i spoke to the owner of RB and they want me to send my engine and setup into them so they can replicate the problem im expericing. also my gearing at the time is a 16T CB 40 SG which halls on a straight away even with the extra 2 lbs of weight i have.
    Last edited by fatherbubble; 03-08-2010 at 10:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I wish you all the luck in the world with it, and good luck with Rody, he is not known for his good customer service so dont expect too much of him. He will most likely just tell you to take it back to your dealer and wash his hands of it.

RC Champion
    rody is not with RB anymore

I have a 323 in my Revo and I had issues with it until i took it all apart and re-sealed everything with black rtv gasket maker sealant. Now it runs really well, though it is a bit of a tired engine.

Edit: Also did not purchase new fyi.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Racer
    I've got a brand new TM523 that I have ran about 2 quarts of fuel through after break-in. I've battled the left turn lean right turn rich issue with it to my wits end.......and I've tried everything. I run a different fuel tank with a clunk, the tank is relocated forward, I've ran multiple different fuel line/filter setups, and I still get right turn rich left turn lean so bad it's impossible to tune. I finally gave up on it, $300 down the drain but a lesson learned.

I finally sent the engine back to RB for inspection and bought a .26 red dot. They sent the TM523 back finally with a new carb and new bearings in it, but I can't believe it will make much difference. Haven't had a reason to mount the TM523 back up as the Red Dot has greatly impressed me. I do also see some left turn lean right turn rich issues with the red dot, they are just not as noticeable and drastic. The problem is the fuel tank being mounted beside the engine, and unless you fix this problem the left turn lean issue will always be there to some extent.

Look at any 1/8th scale off-road buggy/truggy............where is the fuel tank mounted? Very few if any of these setups have the tank beside the engine, that's done for a reason

I think the 3.3 engine just doesn't require enough fuel demand to notice the left turn lean although it is there. Go turn really tight left hand circles over and over again with a stock revo and I bet you might get 7-8 circles out of it before it leans out and dies. Same with right turns except they get so rich they load up and die.

As soon as the Picco finally gives up I'll switch back to the TM523 as they are supposed to be great engines, and give it a shot. I just don't think they work well in a Revo.

BTW, the TM523 rear pipe works AMAZING on a Picco .26 red dot engine!!

RC Qualifier
    Yea from what I heard from shops is that the Revo is not made for a engine bigger than .21 anything more than that will have problems from. Also RB is really nice I spoke to the owner about the problem so i sent it in with my setup so he can solve the problem. Yea I do love the exaust it comes with its slightly bigger than the revo stock one but smaller than the 1/8 ones. so it fits really good on the revo and sounds cool.

RC Qualifier
    Ok end results NEVER BUY IT!!!!!!!!! A real piece of *#$*! I found out the reason why it leans out and kills. That is because it was made in France and it is shipped here in a unsealed container exposed to moisture. After I sent mine in to RB they called and told me that I rusted the hole bottom of the engine up. I'm like dude there is no way i just broike it in and its less than a week old. I know that nitro makes it rust but i treated it with the same fuel and same care as my 3.3 that has 2 gallons in it and when i tore it down i didnt find one **** speck of rust on it. needless to say when i told tower hobbies about it they took it back in a heartbeat, so needless to say RB **** YOU!!!! Everyone stay away they want to blame there problems on you and make you pay for it. Besides if i would of know it was made in france i wouldnt of bought it. if i do euro engines Italy one's will be what i buy. just look at all the exotic cars and where they come from or a germin engine.

RC Champion
    well sux yu learned the hard way.. you can only rust the crank shaft and the bearings... its an aluminum engine.. i will never buy an RB again.. i don't care where its made.. after the treatment they gave me...

RC Champion
    I agree that the TM's are not up to par. It was the machine work that perplexed me when I took one apart. It was shoddy at best. Casting flashing all over the inside of the case. Any one of those pieces could have broke off at any time and been processed throught the engine.

I purposely blew mine up, by running way too high of a gear ratio for our track. The marshals were screaming up at me "theres some thing wrong with your truck". They thought my clutch was slipping. I was hitting top speed by the middle of the straight, and just kept it floored the rest of the way. Eventually, BOOM!
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

RC Qualifier
    lol I love that story..

RC poster
    I made a trade for a Revo 2.5 with the RB TM523 in it for a VXL 2wd Stampede. I got the better deal. I replaced some lines and cleaned it up. Started up after sitting according to him over a year. I have run it about 8 times/tanks. Other than it taking two tanks to really fine tune it it does run good. I don't see a problem with pressure, I read about it so did a double loop line to equalize pressure just in case. I like the heavy glow plugs they seem to last way longer. The only thing I notice is that it is alot louder than the TRX 3.3. If it blows up I'll post a pic or report back, haha. I got it in a trade, would not buy one new. I found a lucky good one. I just wish TRX engines were a bit better on quality and they make a big block or octane soon.

RC Qualifier
    I had a 323 rb and it sucked, i was on the rb forum where rody would give advice, i had lean left issues, carb linkage issues, the head fins just fell off, just a constant pain, in the end if detonated at 1 gallon and i binned it. Worst engine ever.
    Rody believed that traxxas was at fault as the tank was in the wrong place, i believed that as he designed the engine for the revo this was no excuse and other engines had no such issues.

In the end i got banned from the forum, 😈 . Rb engines are crap, i went with a new 3.3 after that and it was great, i never needed to touch the tune again.
    Sent from my lumia 920. woot.
    Last edited by revomikey; 05-26-2013 at 03:07 AM.