Thread: Stock to mamba

RC Qualifier

Stock to mamba

Well i fried my esx from installing the smart stop novak wrong and i dont think traxxas will replace it so i was thinking if traxxas would do the upgrade to mamba for me. Wat do you guys think of switching to mamba for my summit?
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    the summit has a short battery time, at lest for me so putting a mamba in would deplet it's life quite a bit faster

RC Qualifier
    i have lipo battery's that i will be running in them not putting stock ones back in. And im not upgrading to get more speed or power just i doubt traxxis will replace my fried one so upgrading will be bettter since the exs cost 180 alone so might as well spend the extra 70 to get the mamba. And are the mambe monster water proof? Then i wont have to worry about installing a smart stop cause the mamba already has one.
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    trx will replace a burnt up esc for a fee it might be like 50-75 bucks for a new evx2 from traxxas warranty stuff
    Slash, Rustler VXl, Summit, erevo, lots of non trx

RC Qualifier
    Not with LiPos... I can get over 2 hours of running my Mamba Monster Summit with two 3s 5000mAh LiPos running them in parallel if I don't blast it around a lot (mostly crawling).

The MMM/2200Kv setup is awesome without question, but you really should run it on LiPo batteries. NiMH cells can't really supply the MMM's demands unless you gear it down to not-so-fun speeds. Also in a Summit, the MMM needs the older v1.20 firmware to have any decent crawling ability. Later firmwares have some really odd throttle surging problem that tends to screw you up at low speeds.

Another setup worth considering is the Tekin RX8/2250Kv. It should run quieter than the MMM while crawling due to having a sensored motor. Of course you won't be able to use Traxxas' hop-up program for it though.
    IMO, The MMM on firmware 1.20 should give you all the performance you need. I can creep mine along in low gear as slow as I want without any loss of control if you ignore the occasional clatter it makes (light cogging).
    Drop in in High gear and it's off to the speed races!

Edit: The MMM is definitely worth upgrading to even if you aren't looking for blazingly fast speeds. You'll have much longer run times, as well as lower maintenance.

The MMM is not totally waterproof, however it is said to be "water resistant". Snow bashing should be OK, but you just can't submerge it.
    Last edited by sfr4x4; 02-28-2010 at 06:38 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I really don't know how to install this novaks smart stop. The red and black wire. I connected it to the battery and it fried my esc. Any help will be awesome so it doesn't happen next time unless they don't replace it for 50 bucks cause if im spending 180 on the esc might as well do the upgrade for the mamaba for 250
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4x4
    Not with LiPos... I can get over 2 hours of running my Mamba Monster Summit with two 3s 5000mAh LiPos running them in parallel if I don't blast it around a lot (mostly crawling).

The MMM/2200Kv setup is awesome without question, but you really should run it on LiPo batteries. NiMH cells can't really supply the MMM's demands unless you gear it down to not-so-fun speeds. Also in a Summit, the MMM needs the older v1.20 firmware to have any decent crawling ability. Later firmwares have some really odd throttle surging problem that tends to screw you up at low speeds.

Another setup worth considering is the Tekin RX8/2250Kv. It should run quieter than the MMM while crawling due to having a sensored motor. Of course you won't be able to use Traxxas' hop-up program for it though.
    IMO, The MMM on firmware 1.20 should give you all the performance you need. I can creep mine along in low gear as slow as I want without any loss of control if you ignore the occasional clatter it makes (light cogging).
    Drop in in High gear and it's off to the speed races!

Edit: The MMM is definitely worth upgrading to even if you aren't looking for blazingly fast speeds. You'll have much longer run times, as well as lower maintenance.

The MMM is not totally waterproof, however it is said to be "water resistant". Snow bashing should be OK, but you just can't submerge it.
    Im not into the whole submerging my summit not into that stuff even if it said waterproof on it.
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    Go for brushless then. I've never wanted to submerge mine either (too much maintenance if you don't want the thing to rot away from the inside out), but snow & puddles I've done a few times no problem.

RC Champion
    Traxxas is going to let you upgrade with a burnt up ESC? How is that going to work since the one you have doesn't even work now?

RC Racer
    Traxxas has a lifetime warranty on electronics
    $15 for repair +$5 shipping
    if you have changed the factory fitted connectors the add another $25
    i just replaced an EVX 2 which i had installed bullet connectors
    it cost me $45 including shipping
    Summit, E-Revo, E-Revo Brushless, Merv. Baja 5BSS

RC Qualifier
    Get the MMM or Tekin RX8 from tower. For 296 + Traxxas Male connector and a 60$ discount come for Super Saver club it bring the price down to 240$ and if you live in US it's free shipping. It's 10$ less and you don't even have to ship you're old esc to Traxxas.

I also think that you're esc has to be in good working condition to do the power up. Anyway after buying the MMM systeme you can send you EVX-2 esc for repair and keep if for winter or when you want to run in Mud/Water. Or you could also sell it after getting it back from warranty and bring the price of the MMM even lower.

And if you really want to save more money and are patient. You can but the Tower E-Revo combo for 595$ + 60$ coupon code. It bring the price down to 535$ then sell the E-revo on ebay or here for like 375$, brand new in sealed box it should sell pretty easy and it brind down the MMM to 160$. It's a crazy way but some people did it and they got a MMM setup really cheap.

If you're not already tower member for only 10$ it worth it.
    Last edited by Mc-Roux; 02-28-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    No pain! No Gain!

RC Qualifier
    i didint think they would go for the burnt up one. So you all think that i should go with the one from towers then? so all i need to get it run is the connectors? Wat about the plate and the hold down bracket for the speed control
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stewster23
    i didint think they would go for the burnt up one. So you all think that i should go with the one from towers then? so all i need to get it run is the connectors? Wat about the plate and the hold down bracket for the speed control
    I got my new MMM control mounting plate for $1.49 on eBay.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Qualifier
    do i need to get the programming kit to fix the low end problem?
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    The MMM comes with the castle link. Well atleast the two I bought came with them. Then you just need a mini USB to USB cable which you can use from your camera.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Qualifier
    ha i don't have a camera lol. I need the traxxas bracket don't i?
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Champion
    Just out of curiosity. Are you sure the Esc us fried? I'm just lost as to how you could have burned it up with the smart stop. I can't think of how you could hurt it? And Traxxas will replace it doe free since you just got it. Just mail it to them with a note of what it's doing or not doing with your info and copy of receipt and you'll have a new one in less then 2 weeks.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

RC Qualifier
    i hooked the red wire to the red wire on the battery and the black one to the battery just like the instructions said on the peice of paper and it fried it completely.
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    so i went to create an account on checkout to get the mamba but it never gave me a discount. Is there anyway that i can make a account before i order so i get the discount
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Roux
    Get the MMM or Tekin RX8 from tower. For 296 + Traxxas Male connector and a 60$ discount come for Super Saver club it bring the price down to 240$ and if you live in US it's free shipping. It's 10$ less and you don't even have to ship you're old esc to Traxxas.

I also think that you're esc has to be in good working condition to do the power up. Anyway after buying the MMM systeme you can send you EVX-2 esc for repair and keep if for winter or when you want to run in Mud/Water. Or you could also sell it after getting it back from warranty and bring the price of the MMM even lower.

And if you really want to save more money and are patient. You can but the Tower E-Revo combo for 595$ + 60$ coupon code. It bring the price down to 535$ then sell the E-revo on ebay or here for like 375$, brand new in sealed box it should sell pretty easy and it brind down the MMM to 160$. It's a crazy way but some people did it and they got a MMM setup really cheap.

If you're not already tower member for only 10$ it worth it.
    I signed up for the membership and when i go to checkout im not getting that discount your talking about
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    I signed up for the membership and when i go to checkout im not getting that discount your talking about
    You need the coupon code.

The one that I received today are :

If Your Order Totals: YOU SAVE Use Ad#
    $100.00 - $124.99 $15.00 011JP
    $125.00 - $149.99 $20.00 011JR
    $150.00 - $199.99 $25.00 011JT
    $200.00 - $224.99 $35.00 011JV
    $225.00 - $249.99 $40.00 011JW
    $250.00 - $299.99 $50.00 011JX
    $300.00 or more $60.00 011JY

Maybe you've just not received them but if you're a Super Saver Club member they will work. Just make sure to buy something that cost like 3-4$ to have 300$ because the MMM combo is 296,xx$
    No pain! No Gain!

RC Qualifier
    do i need to get the programming kit to fix the low end problem?
    You might need it (it's called "Castle Link") depending on what firmware is already loaded on it when you buy it (you'll need it just for verifying the firmware version anyway).

But like Traxximus said, if you get the retail combo kit, it already comes with the Castle Link device, as well as with a USB cable. You'll be all set (you will have to download the Castle Link software program itself from Castle's site however, they don't give you a CD or anything).

RC Qualifier
    oh dang oops oh well. I used the 15$ on the site but oh well as long as i get the motor im happy. I ordered the hold down bracket and the connectors was there anything else that i would need
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Competitor
    Just get the mmm and waterproof the esc with liquid electrical tape throw in some lipos and watch your summit fly, i whipped a mini revo the other day ... i know i know it was a mini revo but that thing was still pretty fast... anyway all the features of the summit (waterproof and all ) and it is FAST!

RC Qualifier
    i did get the mmm i ordered the 2200kv today. Will it fit my stock plate?
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    and where would i get the liquid tape at?
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    Note that you should be using Lipo with the MMM. If you only got nimh for now you can use the stock summit gearing and set the brake with the castle link at 50-80% and add some punch control. It will save you're drive line and will help the esc to stay alive until you can afford good lipo. If you already got the lipo you can almost gear it the way you want. geared for 40mph on 4S is about the sweet spot. Even 40mph in the summit will be really fast.
    No pain! No Gain!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Roux
    Note that you should be using Lipo with the MMM. If you only got nimh for now you can use the stock summit gearing and set the brake with the castle link at 50-80% and add some punch control. It will save you're drive line and will help the esc to stay alive until you can afford good lipo. If you already got the lipo you can almost gear it the way you want. geared for 40mph on 4S is about the sweet spot. Even 40mph in the summit will be really fast.
    I got two 2s 3400 30c lipos will be getting better ones later on day the road
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Competitor
    got mine at lowes go to you tube and watch vid for "waterproof mamba monster" follow that and no problems

RC Qualifier
    Sweet Mamba is shipped and will be here sometime this week.
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Enthusiast
    so I have a merv (mini revo and its sooo fast. kills everything it goes up against. tough too. love my slow summit but have been convincing myself to go dewalt for h20 proof. would love to have a 40 mph summit. willing to mmm if thats the way to do it. what is esc high v max? 16.8 or higher. can I run (2) 3s lipos. how about with mmm? (max v) can you link to youtube videos of lipo mmm summit hauling butt? what pinion? what batteries? what tires?
    DEWALT SUMMIT & MINI E REVO

RC Qualifier
    so i just pulled my mamba out of the box and how in the heck am i supposed to hook two batterys up to this thing if there is only two wires?
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    I love this motor in this thing its awesome could be any happier. Just waiting for my bigger lipo's from SPC.
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasMac
    so I have a merv (mini revo and its sooo fast. kills everything it goes up against. tough too. love my slow summit but have been convincing myself to go dewalt for h20 proof. would love to have a 40 mph summit. willing to mmm if thats the way to do it. what is esc high v max? 16.8 or higher. can I run (2) 3s lipos. how about with mmm? (max v) can you link to youtube videos of lipo mmm summit hauling butt? what pinion? what batteries? what tires?
    I run 2x 11.1v 3S LiPos on a Mamba Monster ESC w/ a DeWalt 18v with a stock pinion and Jumbo Kongs. Gobs of power, and I'd say it blows away the E-Maxx I just got rid of. Of course without the Jumbo Kongs you'd have to find the right pinion/spur ratio, but I don't imagine you'd have to go much past 22T on the pinion.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MaoŽ
    I run 2x 11.1v 3S LiPos on a Mamba Monster ESC w/ a DeWalt 18v with a stock pinion and Jumbo Kongs. Gobs of power, and I'd say it blows away the E-Maxx I just got rid of. Of course without the Jumbo Kongs you'd have to find the right pinion/spur ratio, but I don't imagine you'd have to go much past 22T on the pinion.
    what kind of speed do you think you get out of it
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by scotthw
    what kind of speed do you think you get out of it
    I couldn't even guess. It seems to be noticeably faster than the Emaxx, which is supposed to be 30 mph out of the box, so maybe 5 mph faster?