RC Racer

Do you turn your headlights on when it rains?

Not everybody does. I hate those kinds of people who don't.

I was browsing the car websites I visit, and this article came up:

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...ree-looks.html

My comments:

You don't have to conduct an investigative study to understand the benefits of DRLs. Sure, DRLs are useless during the middle of the day when every car highly visible. But as others have said, DRLs are there for the vain, selfish, stupid, inconsiderate people who don't think they have to turn their headlights on when it's dark, raining, foggy, or snowing outside. It's a safety measure to protect the public from the stupid drivers of the world.

I hate people who don't have their headlights on during poor visibility conditions with a PASSION. Those kinds of drivers actually, I lump into with the same drivers who
    - Don't signal before they turn.
    - Don't know the right-of-way rules at a four way intersection.
    - Don't pull over for emergency vehicles.
    - Don't slow down while driving through school crossings.
    - Don't stop before the crosswalk at traffic lights to allow pedestrians to safely cross.
    - Etc. You get my point.

Discuss.

RC Racer
    mine are always on. DRL's

I was amazed that my parents new Subaru Forester didn't have DRL's and my pontiac g5 did. Just thought it would be standard equipment. My vehicles before this didn't have drl's and I always turned on my lights when it was proper to. I flash my lights at people who don't have their lights on when they should. Most of the time they notice and turn them on.

The signal thing also bugs me. What use is it to put your signal on WHILE your turning, I see that, how about letting me know your GOING to be turning a distance or few seconds before you plan to.

Another thing I hate is when your at a intersection where 2 side by side lanes are turning the same direction and someone merges into your lane, like going from the inner lane to the outer lane, while making the turn. 1 day not too long ago I had it happen to me 3 times, I was ready to get out and beat the next person that did that.

RC Qualifier
    State law where I live if the wipers are on so are your headlights or your getting a ticket !!!

but if its foggy out I have on my KC fog lights and headlights, If I'm on a Dark road and the only one around I have my Hi beams and Long range daylighters and fog beam daylighters on
    His: 2 many Mods
    Hers: JC Goosebumps, LVA/2s

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
    State law where I live if the wipers are on so are your headlights or your getting a ticket !!!
    Probably the least enforced moving violation, at least on this side of town. In Florida it was a law forever. In Canada, they require all new vehicles to be equipped with DLRs.

Dallas actually taught me to not use my turn signal while changing lanes. It only lets the person in the lane next to you know that it's time to speed up.

RC Champion
    Of course its a law here in Oregon and it carries a $75 fine. That being said I highly doubt that many people including the police know that its the law.

RC Champion
    How about just running marker lights? The ones on my Expedition are pretty bright, bright enough so people can see me coming which is good because my truck is silver with black wheels. If it's really cloudy, like dark in the middle of the day cloudy, the headlights go on.
    I would like to rig up some yellow LED running lights as DRLs sometime. Like the ones on top of this page, the Amber ones. Wired to be on whenever the truck is running. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...uck_lights.htm
    RustyVXL, HPI RS4 Rally, RC18MT
    Mobius1 crashed!

RC Racer
    we dont have "headlights" we have drivinglights wich needs to be on always.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by drummin89
    mine are always on. DRL's
    FWIW PA does have a law on the books for over two years. Wipers ON - Headlights ON.

DRLs do not eluminate your rear lights. "Technically" you are in violation of PA State Law.

I make it a point of using ALL available lighting when conditions warrant my being seen in poor visibility conditions! My Silverado is GREY and I need all the visibility help I can get!!
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC Champion
    My truck, '07 Tacoma, doesn't have drl's. And I'm fine with that. I use my headlights when the conditions call for it. Night time, fog, rain, ect. My problem with drl's is that people forget to turn their headlights on. Can't tell you how many people I've come across at night with no taillights cause they have drl's and forgot to turn their headlights on. Hate that.
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends!!!

RC Qualifier
    DRL's aren't really used anymore in the U.S. Most vehicles came with them several years ago, but they stopped with that nonsense. My '02 Chevy company van has them, my co-workers '04 Chevy company van doesn't. All they are is the highbeams turned on with less voltage.

I can usually see just fine in rain/snow/fog during the day, and lights aren't going to help. I only turn my low-beams on so that others can see me.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop

I can usually see just fine in rain/snow/fog during the day, and lights aren't going to help. I only turn my low-beams on so that others can see me.
    My point exactly, which is why I run with my marker lights on in say,,,oh medium visibility conditions.
    Oh another thing, those blue-tinted fake HID lights are junk IMO. tried some once and it was cool until a rainy-foggy night. turns out, blue kight has a very short wavelength, and it bounces off impurities in the air more easily than longer wavelengths. I guess this is why yellow fogs work well.
    RustyVXL, HPI RS4 Rally, RC18MT
    Mobius1 crashed!

RC Racer
    I always drive with my lights on, always.

RC Qualifier
    My Car has DRL's and Auto Headlights. It does as it pleases.....
    HK Brushless Summit!!!

RC Qualifier
    My charger & f-350 both have auto headlights but there have been situations where I felt I needed the headlights on for other people to see me better and they were not on. In my charger, if the headlights are off and you turn on the wipers, they will come on automatically.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom95YJ

but if its foggy out I have on my KC fog lights and headlights, If I'm on a Dark road and the only one around I have my Hi beams and Long range daylighters and fog beam daylighters on

Illinois is the same way and has been since I was in High School right before I started taking "Driver's Ed"....if that's what you want to call that class

RC Racer
    say on service that you want head lights on everytime you turn on power.. houdlnt be hard since we are using em at europe

RC Champion
    My truck doesn't have DRL's, but it might as well have them. I run my either my parking lights or headlights 99% of the time - regardless of the weather or time of day. Like the OP, I despise people who are so ignorant.

Michigan is notorious for ignorant drivers, especially around Detroit. Usually the fools too stupid to know when to turn their headlights on are the same fools who are gabbing on their cell phones about absolutely nothing. And lets not forget the class-acts who can't turn their lights on in a snow storm and gab on the phone about nothing with the phone in their left hand - meaning they can't be bothered with that little thing called a turn signal.

Aside from slight speeding (5-10 over and only when all the traffic is doing it), I drive almost as if I'm taking a driving test, with a cop watching my every move. Therefore, I have the right to hate idiot drivers.

I could rant forever about the stupidity I see every day, but I feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it.....

◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Qualifier
    It's the Law...
    E-Maxx | T-Maxx 3.3 | (2) MERV's | YZ250F

It depends on what you consider raining, If its like a mist sometimes I won't, but usually as long as I think about it I will. As far as the wipers thing, if I am on the highway with my camaro (99) I usually don't even use the wipers because of the windshield being so slanted and the fact that I use a rain-x type thing on my windshield, anything above 40 is enough to make the water just run right over the top, I can see better with the wipers off, I ddo turn my lights on however.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Racer
    I don't know how many of you have noticed, but when the roads are wet your headlights should be on PRIMARILY for other drivers to see you.
    From the driver's seat, the light does not get reflected back towards your eyes due to the shiny road surface. This means that the lights are barely beneficial to you as the driver, they don't help you see better.
    BUT, the reflected light causes your car to be extremely visible to oncoming traffic, and this is what's important. So PLEASE, turn on your lights the second the sun is gone.

RC Competitor
    When ever I drive I drive I have the headlights on 100% of the time I like my yellow headlights any way.
    Warn: (99%)SI 480HP mugen無限power
    teamultraspeed

I have my headlights on all the time.I don't have DRL,but my lights go off automatically when the driver's door is opened.So there's no reason not to have them on all the time.

RC Qualifier
    None of you have a cdl I guess......headlights are a requirement while moving....its for the saftey of being visible.....only idiots drive with out lights on. Its been proven many MANY times that a car with its lights on is over 65% more visible than a car without. Even in broad daylight. I've been driving for 15years.....no accidents...and I've always had my lights on. Forget that law bull......do it for the soccer moms and kids

Edited for Language
    -ksb541rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-01-2010 at 10:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Meh, I've been driving for 17 years with my headlights on only during inclement weather or at night. Zero accidents. I'm an idiot for that?

I think more people should learn to ride motorcycles, or get their endorsement to ride. Riding a bike for a couple of years teaches a lot of defensive driving skills and really helps to keep you aware of your surroundings.

RC Champion
    I usually only run them when needed, night, inclimate weather, ect. If you can't see a motor vehicle that's in plain sight without it's lights on in good conditions, you should really reconsider keeping your driver's license.................

RC Qualifier
    Its not about seeing the vehicle......your eyes see everything in the field of vision.....the brain however doesn't process it all....just significant points of interest... Such as bright colours...shiney objects and the likes. The idea behind lights on for safety ( and its all factually based) is that u will notice a car with its lights ON before u notice one with its lights OFF. There is no way to argue this BC its insticts and natural to so so. I'm sure there are some ppl who will claim its all the same.....but facts are facts.....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by midniteTRX
    Its not about seeing the vehicle......your eyes see everything in the field of vision.....the brain however doesn't process it all....just significant points of interest... Such as bright colours...shiney objects and the likes. The idea behind lights on for safety ( and its all factually based) is that u will notice a car with its lights ON before u notice one with its lights OFF. There is no way to argue this BC its insticts and natural to so so. I'm sure there are some ppl who will claim its all the same.....but facts are facts.....
    ^^^Agreed. You subconsciously notice cars with lights on first, even in bright daylight.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by midniteTRX
    That doesn't change the fact that I haven't had an accident in my 17 years of driving with my headlights turned off during the day.

RC Champion
    That doesn't change the fact that I haven't had an accident in my 17 years of driving with my headlights turned off during the day.
    That's great. I've known a few people who can't go 17 days without bumping into something.

We're just saying that the odds are reduced when the headlights are on.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay 313
    That's great. I've known a few people who can't go 17 days without bumping into something.
    well yeah you live in michigan! are you a troll or a yooper? My mom is a yooper.
    Are you an RC addict?

It's not really about you and your safe driving record.It's more about the person who has been driving for a week and hits you because they didn't see you.

RC Qualifier
    the one i hate the most is roundabouts when people dont signal to turn off so i think there going to go past me so i yeild, but they end up turning right before me..

or when im going to turn left, so i wait because a car is going to pass me infront, (saying im turing left out of a neighborhood) and then the car ends up turning in the entrance to the neighborhood.. didnt signal

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmaxx64
    well yeah you live in michigan! are you a troll or a yooper? My mom is a yooper.
    LOL in general, we're lousy drivers. I'm definitely an exception to the rule.

Troll or yooper....

I figured "yooper" was someone from the UP. I never heard the phrase "troll" - so I Googled it. After reading the Wikipedia page, it makes sense now that a troll is those of us (including me) under the Mackinac bridge.
    Last edited by Jay 313; 03-01-2010 at 09:00 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697
    It's not really about you and your safe driving record.It's more about the person who has been driving for a week and hits you because they didn't see you.
    If you're a decent enough defensive driver, you can look out for people like this. I pay attention to people waiting to leave parking lots as I'm coming down the road towards them or in any other situation where having my headlights on would lower the chances of them hitting me. This is why I say riding a bike makes you a better driver. Even with the headlight on while riding a bike, I can't count the number of times people pulled out in front of me and I almost had to go over the handlebars. I'm not accident free because I'm lucky. I'm accident free because I'm a good defensive driver, which goes worlds beyond just having the headlights on, IMO.

You guys can all keep your headlights on 24/7 if you want, but don't call those of us that don't idiots.