RC Qualifier

Best lipo batteries ?

I'm going with the dual 700's next month.
    So I'm going lipo. I was against lipo's before but from my research it's the most power you can get. I want the best not cheapest , most powerful , longest run times. I was looking at the maxamps waterproof.
    Are there any other waterproof lipo's out there ?

RC Qualifier
    it in insanely simple to waterproof your lipo batteries, some would say it's not necessary. Lipo cells are already sealed because, well exposed lithium is dangerous, especially if you add the element of water. The only thing you need to worry about is the balancing plug. Tape that up and you should be good to go. I will say I have gone without taping my plugs and then accidentally submerged my truck in water, not a little bit, completely under water. Battery was fine. Wouldn't be something I would try on regular basis tho.
    Piercings can and will get caught in antenna tubes

RC Qualifier
    I don't have maxamps, or other expensive lipos, so I can't say what are the best lipos in existence. However, I can tell you that maxamps are highly overrated and over priced. In other forums I've read stories how people bought maxamps thinking they were good, but they were no better (and in some cases worse) than considerably cheaper lipos.

I do believe this is one example where you don't get what you paid for.

As hexitnow said, it's insanely simple to waterproof. I just put mine in a bag, or wrap it in saran wrap. For snow or puddles, this method is more than waterproof enough.
    You are unique just like everyone else

RC Qualifier

????

What kind are you guys using ?

RC Qualifier
    ***** ********* 2s 20c 5000 mah packs. i also have some truerc lipos, and the *****'s definitely outperform them.
    Last edited by hexitnow; 02-26-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Piercings can and will get caught in antenna tubes

RC Qualifier
    I've got some ebay lipos, GE Power 4000 mah 25C packs, and a ******* 3000mah 30C 11.1V pack.
    I don't know how much better $100+ lipos are, but I find it hard to believe they are that much better. The ******* lipo seems to be better than the GE Power ones, but it's hard to compare 11.1v to 7.4 in terms of performance.

RC Champion
    This what just a little bit of lithium does when exposed to just a little bit of water.

Sparky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxhW7TtXIAM
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DGCON44
    I'm going with the dual 700's next month.
    So I'm going lipo. I was against lipo's before but from my research it's the most power you can get. I want the best not cheapest , most powerful , longest run times. I was looking at the maxamps waterproof.
    Are there any other waterproof lipo's out there ?

I bought Maxamps first up and they are fine but are they twice the price better than others ?? Definitely not!

I have Demon Power and they are no different to the Max Amps except in price (half)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mjosparky
    This what just a little bit of lithium does when exposed to just a little bit of water.

Sparky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxhW7TtXIAM
    That video does make one take note of how dangerous raw exposed lithium dust is. It's all the more reason to not disassemble your lipos and place the loose lithium dust in your battery trays.

Most lipos on the market are sealed, and don't have exposed dust floating around. Taking extra steps to waterproof them would also be a wise idea.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by timie1
    That video does make one take note of how dangerous raw exposed lithium dust is. It's all the more reason to not disassemble your lipos and place the loose lithium dust in your battery trays.

Most lipos on the market are sealed, and don't have exposed dust floating around. Taking extra steps to waterproof them would also be a wise idea.
    +1

Sparky
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Enthusiast
    I've tried both Maxamps Waterproof Lipos and the lipos from the Cheap Battery Packs Spring Presale. I'm happy with the maxamps because they lasted all winter, snowpacked in my trucks. I'm probably more happy with my cheap battery packs because they were under $100 shipped for two 5000mah 7.4 40C's. I'll probably try to waterproof them when winter comes this year, they're cheap enough why not try it?

RC Champion
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide