Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Racer
    Side issue: Does the new High Output 2.4 Tx have provision to trim the 3rd and 4th channels?

Channels 3, 4 and 5 can be reversed, but cannot be trimmed.

Channel 3 is controlled by the rocker switch. Flipping the Ch-3 rocker switch will move the Ch-3 servo from full left throw to full right throw (or vice-versa, if you reverse the channel).

Channels 4 and 5 are both controlled by the 3-position switch next to the steering wheel.

Flipping the 3-position switch from the Up position to the Middle position will move the Ch-4 servo from full left throw to full right throw (or vice-versa).

Flipping the 3-position switch from the Middle position to the Down position will move the Ch-5 servo from full left throw to full right throw (or vice-versa).

In Traxxas vehicles, channel 3 controls reversing transmissions (Revo and T-Maxx) and the Summit's high/low transmission. Channels 4 and 5 control the Summits diff-locking servos.

Note that the Summit with the latest TQ 2.4GHz radio no longer has the additional Differential Locking Controller (DLC) component, which was previously required to allow the front and rear diff-locking servos to be operated by one channel. The new radio's "channel 4" is actually two channels (4 and 5), so the DLC is not required.

The extra channels can be used for lots of other functions. Rear-steer is one option that comes to mind. How about a drag-style parachute for your Bandit VXL? Or opening doors on a scaler? Servo travel can be adjusted by varying the length of the servo's output arm (selecting a linkage hole that's closer to the servo's output shaft reduces travel; holes farther from the shaft increase travel). If you have more servo travel than you need, use over-travel springs to take up the extra movement. Your LHS should have this Du-Bro setup in the airplane hardware section.

LOTS of possibilities!
    Last edited by PeterV; 03-03-2010 at 11:57 AM.

RC Competitor
    It seems as though this latest information answers my question from this earlier thread Traxxas Link TQ4 End Points. It is dissapointing that I was able to guess the functionality and that nobody could (would) confirm it. I am sure it was not a secret.

This may allow lots of possibilities, but imagine how many more possibilities there would be with end point adjustability. Oh well, I'll just take it as a challenge to add it myself.

Don't take this post wrong, I still have one on order for my Summit. It is perfect for that application!
    Last edited by wantAsummit; 03-03-2010 at 12:58 PM.

If you ever spot a thread that you think I need to post into, just drop me a line at pvieira@traxxas.com. Feel free to spread that around. I'm here to help (as are many other Traxxas employees). BUT, we may not be aware that you're waiting on us. So give a holler!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterV
    Channels 4 and 5 are both controlled by the 3-position switch next to the steering wheel.

Flipping the 3-position switch from the Up position to the Middle position will move the Ch-4 servo from full left throw to full right throw (or vice-versa).

Flipping the 3-position switch from the Middle position to the Down position will move the Ch-5 servo from full left throw to full right throw (or vice-versa).
    I made a video to illustrate this:

That's the radio (#2244 and #2218) that came with the new 2.4GHz Summit...

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

That's exactly what I did at my desk before I posted!

RC Racer
    The tag (shown below) mentions Traxxas Link in error,

No one should feel mislead by the ..... advertising

That's exactly how I, and apparently many others feel.

A $1010 retail ($569 street) truck and Traxxas included the non Link radio. That was a boner on Traxxas' part, in my opinion.

Due to the press releases on RCCA and all the stuff I watched on Traxxas' website I was convinced the Summit was packaged with a Link radio before I ordered it.

So now as I understand it, I can fix Traxxas' error by locating an 'unused' AM TQ radio and sending it in along with $75 and get the proper radio that should have been included with my Summit to begin with. As indicated by all the literature "errors".

And then I will be left with a TQ 2.4G "standard" transmitter to sit idle, completely useless. Because once I have the Link version I am good for 20 models. Yeah, that covers my fleet. (2 Rustlers, 2 Stampedes, 2 E-Maxxes, 1 1 T-Maxx, 1 Villain EX, 1 Summit)

I have to say, this "mess up" with the 2.4 radios and the Link (or lack of) is not up to Traxxas' usual standards.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think the problem is that we all assumed (me included) that the black transmitter was the Link version, because we didn't know that the old gray 2.4Ghz transmitter was released as a standard black version now... I feel your pain Grumpa Tom...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    I think the problem is that we all assumed (me included) that the black transmitter was the Link version, because we didn't know that the old gray 2.4Ghz transmitter was released as a standard black version now... I feel your pain Grumpa Tom...

The original gray version (2.4) was not programmable and didn't have a multi function knob. The standard black does. In other words, the standard black transmitter is not just a repackaged gray.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I know, that's why nobody expected to be black now... In other words, black=Link...

You are correct Rixdafix. The Standard 2.4 has exactly the same functionality as the Traxxas Link radio, it just doesn't have the Traxxas Link feature or High Output signal, for the reasons described earlier.

Daniel and Grumpa, please don't think the message here is "tough luck." Not at all! But, for the benefit of everyone else reading this, I wanted to clarify that the boxes are correct, and you can buy without worry: if it says it has Traxxas Link, it has it. If it says it does not, it does not. You don't have to check any farther than that.

Or, to make things even simpler: of all the models shipping with the latest-gen 2.4GHz systems, Slash 2WD and Summit are the only Traxxas vehicles equipped with non-Traxxas Link 2.4GHz radios.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's ok, don't worry... I'll use the non Link version on the 1/16 E-Revo that I leave at work... Much cooler than the AM stock transmitter I have now on that truck...

RC Qualifier

No matter what...

it's still awful sweet not yelling "who's on my (insert word of choice) channel" or waiting for your channel to free up or frequency clips or blah blah blah...

RC Racer
    Okay, can you give me some clarification please? I just went to Traxxas' $75 upgrade program and looked at upgrading the Summit radio to 2.4G but I think it is only a "standard" black version and not the "Link" black version? Is that correct?

Is the only way I can get a High Output 20 model memory Link version is to order Part # 2208 through a dealer?

The Power Up Program does not currently offer the latest "black case" radios, only the original-style "grey case" units. These are not compatble with Traxxas Link transmitters and receivers.

The grey-case 2.4GHz radios have adjustable trims only, servo reversing, and 50/50 or 70/30 trigger throw. The 4-channel radio adds the channel-3 toggle switch and 3-position channel 4 switch. These are excellent, reliable systems, but again, they are not compatible with the black-case transmitters and receivers, and do not offer the advanced tuning features of the latest black-case Traxxas transmitters.

Update, 4/21: Power-Up now features the latest 2.4GHz radio systems with Traxxas Link.
    Last edited by PeterV; 04-21-2010 at 02:47 PM.

RC Racer
    Bummer.

Again, thanks for replying.

RC Enthusiast
    I have two 2238 link systems and neither will hold more than two models I bind the first two models and lock each one and as soon as I bind the third it deletes the first vehicle even though it is locked.
    Last edited by carraig042; 04-08-2010 at 09:38 PM.

RC Racer
    Are the 2nd generation "black case" radios/rx's going to be available through power up, and if so, when?

RC poster
    Battery question:

How much voltage can this new Traxxas Link TQ 2.4 GHz Transmitter can handle?
    Can I use any of the following batteries?

2S LiPo TX battery?

6.6V LiFePO4/LiIon (I assume this level of voltage is safe?)

RC poster
    Well, I'm also a bit disapointed with the new standard 2.4 Ghz w/o Link. I thought, I could remove some of my old traxxas AM transmitters and bought some new receivers along with a summit/2.4 GHz. And now I can bind it with all models. And cause I live in Europe, I can't participate on the power up program or is their a way to do so and get the new TQ4 2.4 with Link and HO if its available for $75???

klaus

RC Qualifier
    I am fairly new but already have 3 Traxxas RC vehicles, all AM radios. I want to get the 2.4 LINK and find them for sale, but some look to have the satin wheel but have the word LINK on the transmitter. If they include the 2218 receiver, is that a guarantee that it is the one that will bind with other 2218 receivers, when I buy them?
    I have read ALL of the above and it is still not clear to me. I ask the sellers and they, OF COURSE, say "yes this is the radio you need". If they say it is from the new Slash VXL, is that a guarantee it is the correct one? All I want is 1 transmitter and 3 new receivers that will bind! Peter showed photos and all kinds of stuff that has my head spinning. One close-up of a model # but doesn't say which one it is of the 3 pictured. Or I missed something.
    And what was decided about the yellow button vs red button issue?
    Last edited by dkrhardy; 03-14-2010 at 01:12 PM.
    US Navy retired, now - FAA air traffic controller

RC Racer
    This is the problem we all have. Honestly, Traxxas goofed up on this. They should not have two or more variations of their 2.4G radio. They should all have LINK by default and that would have eliminated the confusion, the disappointment, the anger, and the angst.

RC Racer
    If you ever spot a thread that you think I need to post into, just drop me a line at pvieira@traxxas.com. Feel free to spread that around. I'm here to help (as are many other Traxxas employees). BUT, we may not be aware that you're waiting on us. So give a holler!
    I have sent 2 e-mails in the past 2 weeks, and posted here, still have not gotten an anwer. Will the 2nd gen "black" transmitters and receivers be available through the Power-Up?
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showpost....88&postcount=8
    Last edited by loudgonzo; 03-15-2010 at 09:59 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The Traxxas guy that posts here for us seems to say NO, at least not yet. I presume that they will switch as many models over to the new radio as they can before they get enough stock on hand to make you and I an offer via Power-up.
    US Navy retired, now - FAA air traffic controller

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dkrhardy
    The Traxxas guy that posts here for us seems to say NO, at least not yet. I presume that they will switch as many models over to the new radio as they can before they get enough stock on hand to make you and I an offer via Power-up.
    He did post earlier in this thread that they would be available after March 1.

I think they have plenty on hand as it is since they are currently available to purchase.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYYC6&P=7

I have 2 radios that I want to upgrade, and if I would rather upgrade through Traxxas and save a little bit of $ instead of paying retail.
    Last edited by loudgonzo; 03-15-2010 at 01:55 PM.

RC Qualifier
    deleted....
    Last edited by freeriding; 03-17-2010 at 11:16 PM.
    Rusty VXL, Pede VXL, Slash VXL

RC Racer
    So does the "standard" black 2.4Ghz 2-Channel (part #2242) radio have better range than the TQ3?

RC Racer
    The Summit is not likely to be driven at the far reaches of itís range.
    Peter, have you ever heard of this guy "Wobby"?

He drives a Summit for his FPV videos. He probably would have preferred the High Output Link Tx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opRg7OHufxQ

RC Enthusiast
    I went to a hobbytown down in corona california who participates in the traxxas power up program to get the 2208 , the new high output model. They said that particular model was not available yet and went as far as calling traxxas support to get the same response from them that it was not available yet. Now when I go to the power up page select the traxxas summit it shows the 2208 high output with traxxas link for $75 as a option to upgrade. I wanted to pick it up locally so I do not have to pay shipping to traxxas loose the use of my radio , wait for my order to get processed and filled , and shipped back. I was wondering if you can clear up what is going on please Peterv so I can figure out the best quickest way to get that radio receiver combo. The hobbytown shop said they will gladly do the trade if it is ok with traxxas.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Faultor
    I went to a hobbytown down in corona california who participates in the traxxas power up program to get the 2208 , the new high output model. They said that particular model was not available yet and went as far as calling traxxas support to get the same response from them that it was not available yet. Now when I go to the power up page select the traxxas summit it shows the 2208 high output with traxxas link for $75 as a option to upgrade. I wanted to pick it up locally so I do not have to pay shipping to traxxas loose the use of my radio , wait for my order to get processed and filled , and shipped back. I was wondering if you can clear up what is going on please Peterv so I can figure out the best quickest way to get that radio receiver combo. The hobbytown shop said they will gladly do the trade if it is ok with traxxas.
    Off topic, but just a quick plug for the folks at the Corona Hobbytown (I'm there frequently myself)....really knowledgeable peeps, and great Traxxas supporters!

RC Enthusiast
    yea it seemed like a cool place but I am 20 miles away. right about a 2 miles away from pegasus

We have 2208s as I write this.

PowerUp can be fulfilled online, directly with Traxxas, but as you noted you will need to ship your trade-in radio.

Participating dealers can, at their discretion, do the Power-Up swap with you right in the store, as long as they have the Power Up item(s) in stock.

The only exception to this is the Mamba Monster Power Up, which can only be done directly through Traxxas.

If you have any other questions, just dial 888-TRAXXAS.

RC Competitor
    WOW... So the new TQ 2.4 ghz radio system that I got in February is already obsolete. I would have never found this thread if I didn't buy new receivers for my other vehicles and was searching for help. My transmitter will not bind with the new receivers, and after reading the link instructions and watching youtube videos, I noticed that my transmitter was different.

I thought it would have been nice just to get a 2.4 ghz system for a low cost, because i wasn't going to pay that much money for a spectrum or a fubu system. I play with my vehicles a few times a year, and I never had to worry about others being on the same channel because no one else is in my back yard or driveway with me.

PeterV... I just want to know, can I return it for a newer system?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Im not a happy camper right now. I bought a slash 2X4 with the understanding that the 2.4 systems were link. If the pictures shows the RX that says link... I think its a link. Go figure. Just because the advertising DOESNT say link on it doesnt mean I assume its NOT a link. The advertising for my Dodge ram DIDNT say power steering but all other dodge ram trucks have power steering... so does mine.
    The other issue I have is this, in the parts listing for the Slash 2X4 it clearly states the replacement radio is a 2209. If you look at the parts listing for a brushless revo, stampede VXL, rustler VXL or any other truck that IS a link radio the non bold part number (which indicates its NOT a hop up part, but a stock part that comes with the truck) is 2209. I actually checked this BEFORE ordering my truck so I was sure I knew what I was getting. Since getting my truck I removed the radio and havent even looked at it as I upgrade and modify it. Its too late to return it but im stuck with a radio I was under a very reasonable impression was something its not.
    Im not impressed and no amount of "nothing we did should lead you to believe your getting the link system" is going to make me impressed again. EVERYTHING lead me to believe it was the link system. NOTHING said it wasent the link system. Nothing said it wasent the same. Go figure that the huddled masses... who are traxxas customers, assume were getting a product youve been hyping so much when you say "now with 2.4" when the RX says "LINK" when the tag on the radio says "with traxxas LINK" and when the listed part numbers for a replacement radios are the same as the link version and... in the description of the part it says "2.4 with LINK"
    The ONLY thing that doesnt say link is the outside of the box and the TX... but youve clearly stated early High Output TX's didnt say High Output... there was a running change. Perhaps its not too out there to assume the LINK graphic missing from the side of my TX didnt immediately tip me off that its NOT a link. I think this is a form of trickery. You WANTED everyone to think it was a link system but didnt give it to them. That sux.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 04-26-2010 at 08:23 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Currently only two models use the standard Transmitter. The Summit model 5607, and the Slash 2WD model 5803. The Summit is not likely to be driven at the far reaches of it’s range. The standard transmitter allows us to keep the cost of the 2.4GHz version of the Slash super low and an incredible value.

The VXL brushless models, Slash 4X4, E-Revo Brushless Edition, Nitro Rustler, T-Maxx 3.3, and 1/16 E-Revo VXL all include the High Output Traxxas Link transmitter.

I hope that helps!
    They tried to explain it here, but this is pretty buried. To bad the marketing stuff wasn't clearer.
    Last edited by freeriding; 04-26-2010 at 10:56 PM.
    Rusty VXL, Pede VXL, Slash VXL

RC Qualifier
    What is the 2239 Radio?

RC Qualifier
    What is the 2242, I can't find the specs anywhere. Is it a good Transmitter or is the 2238 better?

RC Qualifier
    It's on the 1st page of this thread, post #18 by PeterV.
    Last edited by papermaker; 05-01-2010 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by papermaker
    What is the 2239 Radio?
    I was wondering the same thing. I got it for my Revo and the tx says 2239 3-channel right on the sticker where the model number has been referenced for the other tx's.
    I've heard debate that Traxxas doesn't make a three channel, but it does have the thumb switch on the tx along with the usual throttle and steering control. And the 2218 5-channel receiver.

RC Enthusiast
    I picked up a 2242 to replace the AM radio in my son's Bandit. I've upgraded his Bandit with the brushless motor and ESC out of my slash 4x4. Will this radio work well for this, or should I sell it and upgrade his AM radio to one of the other models?