Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Difference in Link radios

I've searched for an answer with no success.
    So my 4x4 Slash programmable transmitter says Link and has yellow buttons.
    I bought another programmable that doesn't say Link and has red buttons.
    What's the difference.
    I apologize if this has already been answered, just couldn't find any info.

Answers below, scroll down! --Pete
    Last edited by PeterV; 02-24-2010 at 01:24 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rixdafix
    I've searched for an answer with no success.
    So my 4x4 Slash programmable transmitter says Link and has yellow buttons.
    I bought another programmable that doesn't say Link and has red buttons.
    What's the difference.
    I apologize if this has already been answered, just couldn't find any info.
    The link ones have yellow or red buttons depending on the unit, the key is the High Output Link vs. old 2.4GHz setup. Outside of it saying Link one of the most obvious checks is the new ones use 4AA and the old 2.4GHz use 8AA. They are not compatible with one another, the Link version offers much more in terms of settings then the old one does and the Link capability is essentially an automated model memory.

RC Qualifier
    These both only use 4 batteries and are programmable unlike the original 2.4.
    Just wondering if there is a difference besides one not saying link and having red buttons

RC Qualifier
    i know what u mean, im wondering about the traxxas link systems that say high output at the bottom and ones that dont. I was looking at the slash 4x4 here and it show's it having a high output transmitter, my slash 4x4 came with a link transmitter/RX of course but it doesnt say high output at the bottom.
    Piercings can and will get caught in antenna tubes

RC Qualifier
    Here we go. Both are programmable with menu and set buttons but only the one on the left with the yellow buttons says link. Oh and neither of them says high output. Left transmitter came with my 4x4 Slash, right transmitter purchased on eBay from newer 2wd Slash partout. Receivers are identical. What am I missing here folks? Is this strictly a cosmetic difference or is there different electronics/programming also?

Last edited by rixdafix; 02-22-2010 at 07:42 PM.

RC Qualifier
    i dont know man, this is confusing haha. i just ordered a 2.4 ghz LINK transmitter with red buttons.

RC Qualifier
    I didn't realize they had some like that, if it still uses 4AA I would assume it's cosmetic however aside from using old case parts from the first gen 2.4GHz I can't think of any reason why.

RC Qualifier

wvchevy may have answered part of this in thread below

He posted the question, 2238 vs 2242?
    It turns out, the transmitter I have with red buttons that does not say link is indeed a 2242.
    It definitely does have a multi-function knob though.
    He goes on to say that Traxxas told him it is a Link radio without 20 model memory.
    I have not confirmed but have no reason to doubt.
    Sort of a bummer.
    As far as not saying high output anywhere I have no idea.

RC Qualifier
    It turns out, the transmitter I have with red buttons that does not say link is indeed a 2242.
    He goes on to say that Traxxas told him it is a Link radio without 20 model memory.
    Sort of a bummer.
    That completely undermines Traxxas own advertising for this setup, unless they made a serious error I can't imagine what he was told is accurate.

RC Qualifier

Maybe someone from Traxxas

would be kind enough to explain the difference

Hang on guys, I'll give you the lowdown as soon as I get some work done. Back in a few!

RC Qualifier
    sweet, a bit of clarification would be nice

RC Champion
    Sort of a bummer.

I spoke with a Traxxas rep today. they comfimed this as well. It also seems that the Summit will be comming with a 4-channel link system but the transmitter is single model memory as well. all receivers say link and are 30 model memory.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterV
    Hang on guys, I'll give you the lowdown as soon as I get some work done. Back in a few!
    Hi Peter, I'm all ears as are a few others .

I actually just wrote support because I ordered a second Summit from Tower when they back ordered my 4CH High Output transmitter. It is supposed to be here tomorrow but if it doesn't have the 20 model Link support I would rather return it since it doesn't provide that easy radio swap my son and I are looking for.

RC Enthusiast
    When looking at the electric page under the products tab it shows what cars now come with 2.4ghz radios.The summit and 4x2 slash are not listed with link but the rest of them are. I wanted a summit with link included to use with my other cars.

RC Qualifier

Do I hear

music from the game show Jeopardy playing in the background?

RC Qualifier
    I haven't heard back from Traxxas yet, decided to accept the Summit to see what the deal is. The model of the Transmitter is 2244. Oddly it doesn't indiccate anything about Traxxas Link on the transmitter itself but the card that comes on it states "transmitter with Traxxas Link". I have multiple Link RX here so I will give it a shot shortly and see if it works correctly with multiple ones.

I heard the Jeopardy musix, rixdafix! Sorry I took so long, but I do have a thorough post for you...and here it is

We offer two versions of the 2nd generation TQ 2.4GHz radio:

1. There's the "standard" model, which does not say "Traxxas Link" on it and does not have the Traxxas Link feature. The transmitter also has a satin-chrome wheel. It can be identified by the part number on the back where the crystal would have otherwise been. Here are the item numbers:

2242 = Standard 2-ch (transmitter only)
    2244 = Standard 4-ch (transmitter only)

2. And there's the High Output model, which says "Traxxas Link" on the transmitter 'head' and says "High Output" on the 'foot.' This transmitter has a black-chrome wheel. It can be identified by the following model numbers

2238 = 2-ch High Output/Traxxas Link (transmitter only)
    2240 = 4-ch High Output/Traxxas Link (transmitter only)
    2208 = 4-ch High Output/Traxxas Link (transmitter & 5-ch receiver)
    2209 = 2-ch High Output/Traxxas Link (transmitter & 5-ch receiver)

Note that some of the cosmetic details (decals, wheel color) were running changes, and are not reflected by the transmitters in the photo posted earlier by rixdafix. Refer to the model number on the back of the transmitter for exact ID.

There are also first generation 2.4GHz transmitters and receivers out there (grey case, as shown above). These systems are not compatible with the new-style, black-case transmitter systems.

"Standard" and "Traxxas Link" radio systems both use the same Traxxas Link enabled receiver, part number 2218. See below to ID your receiver.

"Standard" and "Traxxas Link" radio systems function exactly the same way in terms of their adjustable features, the Multi Function Knob, and the steps used to program the radio.

The Traxxas Link/High-Output transmitter has extended range--compared to the standard transmitter. The extended range capability was put in place to accommodate the high speeds of our models and their ability to cover very large distances very quickly (over 103 feet per second!). The High Output 2.4Ghz system was created to make sure drivers have all the range they need for our fastest models. Like our AM radio system, The High-Output version has range capability that typically exceeds anyone’s ability to use it.

The standard TQ 2.4GHz radio system offers very good range and allows us to offer the convenience of 2.4Ghz operation at a lower cost in models that do not require extreme range., So why no Traxxas Link? Because some Traxxas models can cover huge distances in a very short amount of time, we did not want customers to inadvertently use the standard 2.4GHz transmitter with a high-speed model that might surprise the driver by exceeding the transmitter’s effective range. We know how hard it is to force yourself to lift when you’ve got the throttle pinned! Even though all the second generation 2.4Ghz radio systems have a built in failsafe that returns the throttle to neutral if range is exceeded, it kills the fun if a fast model is trying to run on the fringes of the available range and going into fail safe mode.

Currently only two models use the standard Transmitter. The Summit model 5607, and the Slash 2WD model 5803. The Summit is not likely to be driven at the far reaches of it’s range. The standard transmitter allows us to keep the cost of the 2.4GHz version of the Slash super low and an incredible value.

If for some reason you have a situation where you are driving at the limits of the transmitter’s range, then you can switch to the high output transmitter without having to change your receiver. You can use the high-output transmitter from another Traxxas model you may own or take an old AM radio and power it up to a 2.4GHz system (Transmitter and receiver) for $75.00 (4-channel) (Click here to check out the Power Up program website) Note that the second generation TQ 2.4 Radio systems will not be available on Power Up until after March 1st. Watch the site for details.

The VXL brushless models, Slash 4X4, E-Revo Brushless Edition, Nitro Rustler, T-Maxx 3.3, and 1/16 E-Revo VXL all include the High Output Traxxas Link transmitter.

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by PeterV; 02-07-2012 at 09:52 AM.

RC Qualifier

Thanks Peter

Exactly the info we were looking for, and the reasoning behind it makes perfect sense. Sticky worthy?
    Last edited by rixdafix; 02-24-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Yep, I stickied it! Thanks!

And a follow-up:

Regardless of which 2.4GHz system you have (even non-Traxxas systems), there are some steps you can take to make sure you have absolute maximum range:

1. Hold the transmitter so the antenna is straight up. If you hold the transmitter so the antenna is pointing out instead of up, range will be reduced. Traxxas 2.4Ghz antennas can be swiveled and/or angled to point straight up even if you hold the transmitter at an angle.

2. Mount the receiver antenna straight up, and avoid coiling or bundling any of the antenna wire. It doesn't have to protrude from the body.

3. Make sure you have fresh batteries in your TX, and your Rx pack is charged (if you're running nitro).
    Last edited by PeterV; 02-24-2010 at 01:31 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterV
    Yep, I stickied it! Thanks!

And a follow-up:

Regardless of which 2.4GHz system you have (even non-Traxxas systems), there are some steps you can take to make sure you have absolute maximum range:
    PeterV,

This very disappointing, even more so because my new 2.4GHz Summit model 2244 has a tag on it discussing the new wheel and states specifically that it has Traxxas Link, this directly contradicts your above post, I hope Traxxas makes it right.

I will certainly be following up with a phone call because the link feature is the very reason I bought this, 2 channel or 4 channel you specifically advertise the benefits of Traxxas link and the ability to pickup any transmitter and drive, now I'm stuck with a one RX to one TX 2nd generation 2.4GHz system and multiple vehicles (including multiple Summits).

The tag (shown below) mentions Traxxas Link in error, and has been corrected. The only thing that's incorrect is where it says, "with Traxxas Link." All the new 2.4GHz transmitters, standard and High Output, have all the functions described on the card.

The Summit box art and advertising does not mention Traxxas Link capability for the included 2.4GHz transmitter, and correctly shows the 2244 transmitter. No one should feel mislead by the box or advertising (in fact, we have not yet done print advertising for Summit with 2.4Ghz), but I can understand being confused by the radio's tag once you've got the model home.

You can reach customer service at 888-TRAXXAS (8729927)

Last edited by PeterV; 02-24-2010 at 03:21 PM.

RC Champion
    So the info that Traxxas support told me and OCD RC was somewhat right. In simple terms, the 2242 is a watered down 2238. Thanks PeterV for explaining the differences and reasoning behind them. Good info on good radios!
    [_] |||||||| [_]

Or, you could say the 2238 is a "watered-UP" 2242! The standard 2.4 still has plenty of range, and the High Output has even more.

RC Qualifier
    I bought the slash 4x4 and of course it comes with the new link transmitter (2238)/receiver combo. Already bound it to my emaxx as well which has the 2218 link receiver. However mine doesn't say high output at the bottom of the transmitter, is this just a cosmetic thing? It also doesn't specify which model it is where the crystals would be on an AM transmitter, it's on a sticker on the inside of the battery compartment. Im hoping I received one of the first one's to hit shelves and that's why it's cosmetically different.
    Last edited by hexitnow; 02-24-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Exactly, just cosmetic. Slash 4X4 comes with the Traxxas Link radio.

RC Qualifier
    Is the "High Output" distance more than the Am radios? I have driven my E-Maxx out of range 3 times now... I would like to get the 2.4Ghz and farther range out of a new radio.
    E-Maxx | T-Maxx 3.3 | (2) MERV's | YZ250F

The AM system has ample range for our 70+mph VXL models, you should not be having issues with your E-Maxx. Check the following:

Has the RX antenna been shortened (by cutting or from crash damage), or has it separated from the receiver?

Is the RX antenna coiled or wrapped to shorten it? Or is the entire antenna tube layed down beneath the body? This can limit range.

Do your Tx batteries have sufficient voltage?

Are you driving with the TX antenna fully extended?

Have you removed and reinstalled the Tx antenna? Sometimes people think it's reaching the threads inside the TX when they reinstall it, but it actually isn't. Make sure the antenna is tight against the internal stop.

Crystals either work properly or not at all, so I don't think that's the problem. BUT, if you have an extra set, you may as well see if swapping crystals helps.

And finally...how "noisy" is your running space? If it's along a chain-link fence, next to a power station, under power lines, etc., that can definitely shorten the range of your radio system.

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks, The 2.4Ghz will get rid of the "Noise" and therefor give me better range right? I will be getting the 2.4Ghz High Output Link radio as soon as it is available through the "Power Up" program, (Mar 1st)

2.4GHz should certainly be better if you do have a "noisy" environment.

Here in northern NJ, many AM radio systems and an FM system I've seen "dance to their own tune" without any help from a driver. Turn a truck upside down and the fun can really start. This is not surprising for the most densely populated state in the Union.
    But so far as glitching is concerned, both standard and Link HO 2.4 GHz systems as well as Spektrum and Futaba systems have had, umm, none. I've tested BOTH the Traxxas systems and found their range to exceed that of my Spekkie. [Edit: FWIW, the ranges were over 800 feet for the standard and over 700 feet for the HO. I didn't run out of range, just real estate. Besides, you can't really SEE the trucks that far away.] Ah, well - when I bought it Traxxas didn't have one for sale, nor even close.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-27-2010 at 11:09 AM.

RC Qualifier
    so what was your spektrums range? i have one but its 3 ch, and am considering the traxxas 4 ch if the range is better as well
    Tekin 4ws Summit
    G2R, ERBE, BB
    Use common sense

RC Qualifier
    So the HO had Less range? Im looking at a Futaba too. How does the range compare ksb51rl? Thanks for all of your help!!

RC Competitor
    Somebody has there numbers wrong.....on Tower site the 2209 says it is the high output 2 channel radio....which I would guess it should be the link one.
    What a mess this is with all these different numbers.
    Guess I'll have to wait awhile to order a radio till these numbers match up.
    Tower has the 4 channel as number 2208.

Art

I added the "Tx & Rx" part nos. to my post, as follows:

2242 = Standard 2-ch (transmitter only)
    2244 = Standard 4-ch (transmitter only)

2238 = 2-ch High Output/Traxxas Link (transmitter only)
    2240 = 4-ch High Output/Traxxas Link (transmitter only)
    2208 = 4-ch High Output/Traxxas Link (transmitter & 5-ch receiver)
    2209 = 2-ch High Output/Traxxas Link (transmitter & 5-ch receiver)
    --Pete
    Last edited by PeterV; 03-03-2010 at 10:17 AM.

My Spekkie's range always was maximum 600 feet, but sometimes far less, even after the firmware update/fix on the DX3.0.
    @ Hobbylover: If the question was for me, no the range of the HO was not less, I just ran out of environment to run the truck in.

To be clear, I haven't hit the range limit of EITHER radio. However, all open spaces are right now covered by a.) 1'-2' of snow, or b.) road salt. Further testing will have to wait.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Art454
    Somebody has there numbers wrong.....on Tower site the 2209 says it is the high output 2 channel radio....which I would guess it should be the link one.
    What a mess this is with all these different numbers.
    Guess I'll have to wait awhile to order a radio till these numbers match up.
    Tower has the 4 channel as number 2208.

Art
    I agree with ya on all the numbers being confusing. But, I thiiiiink that Tower's part numbers are for the TX/Rx package, and the numbers Pete listed here are the Tx only part numbers. Maybe Pete can add some more clarity?

Indeed, see my addition to Art454's post. --Pete
    Last edited by PeterV; 03-03-2010 at 10:18 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Has anyone tried binding more than two models yet? I have 2 of the black link radios and neither will let me bind more than two models. On the third vehicle it will bind then if I go back to a previous model it will flash red and not find the model. Can this have something to do with the locking feature I have locked each model and it still does this with both radios.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Oh, no... I bought from eBay a new TQ 2.4Ghz 4-ch transmitter and 5-ch receiver from a 2.4Ghz Summit thinking it was the Link version...

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    Oh, no... I bought from eBay a new TQ 2.4Ghz 4-ch transmitter and 5-ch receiver from a 2.4Ghz Summit thinking it was the Link version...

The 4 channel link radio is still not out as far as I know...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77

I can confirm the receiver is the link version but the transmitter is model is the "standard" second generation 2.4GHz 4 channel system system, it doesn't have link and it is the lower power version.

Interestingly I was given price as the reason they made two versions, the High Output costs more to build. If Traxxas developed their own radio as they state I can't imagine the component cost difference outweighs the additional cost for making two lines of radios. If they are licensing the core technology (DSSS, FASST, etc.) then it may very well may make a difference.