Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Racer
    It would appear that the blinks determine how many channels were programmed into the hardware. So 4 blinks is better than 2.

So the later the Tx was made the more channels, limit 5.

RC Racer
    Would it be possible to control the throw of channel 4 and 5 with a variable resistor or maybe the digital equivilant?

No real reason at this stage just curious.

RC Racer
    I would think a "pot" just like what's used on the 2 normal channels would give proportional control.
    The real answer needs to come from the electronic guru's here...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by diby_2000
    Would it be possible to control the throw of channel 4 and 5 with a variable resistor or maybe the digital equivilant?

No real reason at this stage just curious.
    Nop... Quote from PeterV...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterV
    Channels 3, 4 and 5 can be reversed, but cannot be trimmed.

Channel 3 is controlled by the rocker switch. Flipping the Ch-3 rocker switch will move the Ch-3 servo from full left throw to full right throw (or vice-versa, if you reverse the channel).

Channels 4 and 5 are both controlled by the 3-position switch next to the steering wheel.

Flipping the 3-position switch from the Up position to the Middle position will move the Ch-4 servo from full left throw to full right throw (or vice-versa).

Flipping the 3-position switch from the Middle position to the Down position will move the Ch-5 servo from full left throw to full right throw (or vice-versa).

In Traxxas vehicles, channel 3 controls reversing transmissions (Revo and T-Maxx) and the Summit's high/low transmission. Channels 4 and 5 control the Summits diff-locking servos.

Note that the Summit with the latest TQ 2.4GHz radio no longer has the additional Differential Locking Controller (DLC) component, which was previously required to allow the front and rear diff-locking servos to be operated by one channel. The new radio's "channel 4" is actually two channels (4 and 5), so the DLC is not required.

The extra channels can be used for lots of other functions. Rear-steer is one option that comes to mind. How about a drag-style parachute for your Bandit VXL? Or opening doors on a scaler? Servo travel can be adjusted by varying the length of the servo's output arm (selecting a linkage hole that's closer to the servo's output shaft reduces travel; holes farther from the shaft increase travel). If you have more servo travel than you need, use over-travel springs to take up the extra movement. Your LHS should have this Du-Bro setup in the airplane hardware section.

LOTS of possibilities!
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Racer
    ^^^

I remember reading that but....

It does not say that the extra channels can not be proportionally controled, just that they have no facility in the software to adjust the channels end points, Therefore servo thow.

RC Qualifier
    Tested this with the 3-Channel Model: 2239 Radio hoping to use the 4th channel as a light switch. Confirmed that this mod WILL NOT work with this model radio. I guess Traxxas decided to not callibrate or unlock this extra channel feature ... Boo Traxxas. May have to take this radio back and spend the money on a Spektrum... Anyone know if there is any way to unlock that 4th channel? There are the connections available on the circuit board but when a switch is soldered in, radio does not send a signal to the rX.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Roc
    Anyone know if there is any way to unlock that 4th channel?
    Nop, it's not a hardware lock, it's a software lock...

So, there's nothing you can do to fix that...

RC Qualifier
    There is a programming port at the bottom of the controller... Hmm wounder what kinda info I can get outta that.. Wounder if a JTAG cable will let me get some info from it... Anyone know how to do this kinda software peeking wanna help me try this?

RC Racer
    Just a clarification for me, please.
    The newer more recent radios are programmed with 4-5 channels?

I just purchased a black radio with red buttons off of ebay and am keeping my fingers crossed that it can be modded.

Wish me luck boys.

RC Racer
    I'm sure you can rest assured that the RED button radio should be 5 channel capable. Just go thru the menu to get to the channel modes and look for the 5 blinks as you go thru ch 1 -5. Let us know

RC Qualifier
    i have 2 of these radios, one is from a slash 4x4, 2 channel with yellow buttons, in the menu it only has 2 channels, i also ahve a 3 channel with red buttons from a t-maxx, limited to 3 channels in the programming.

RC Racer
    It seems the red or yellow button radios I've checked were made in the last 3- 6 months and were all 5 channel capable. They all came with Slash 4x4's.
    2 were red and 2 were yellow.

RC Racer
    I just got mine in the mail today and checked to see how many channels were programmed in. I got a max of 4 blinking lights. I'm probably doing something wrong.

In looking at the Menu Tree, does the light blinking really mean anything other than programming the transmitter?

I'm confused.
    Last edited by dkur4000; 04-24-2010 at 06:15 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zrau17
    good job. now just out of curiosity, in the top picture all the way at the bottom you see the (battery -) and (battery +) labels, is that the spot to put leads on for rechargeable batteries?
    That's where the battery leads power the board, I believe.
    Last edited by dkur4000; 04-24-2010 at 06:00 PM.

RC Racer
    Does anyone know which channel is for the thumb switch?
    Is it the RSW or the ISW?

Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hey Guys, any news about this? Just curious what's going on these days...

Are all the new TQ 2.4 Link radios programmed with only 2 channels???

Last edited by danielhr77; 05-04-2010 at 11:08 PM.

ok silly - stupid - greedy question:

Can the new 2.4ghz 4 channel radio be converted to an 8 channel?
    yall know I cant leave well enough alone.

(yes I did ask this before)
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No, it's not possible...

RC Champion
    We need get in here. I gotta talk Traxxas into selling me their plugs and programming software. Ha ha.

RC Competitor

Thumbs up

This is awesome!! I have been trying like crazy to win a 3 or 4 channel radio on ebay for weeks now with no luck. I did however win a new 2 channel high output one for $16, $20 with shipping several weeks back. After reading this thread I grabbed my radio, and you guessed it! It gives me 5 blinks. It is a model 2238 / model 22383940. Looks like a trip to the shack is now on my agenda for today so I can grab a couple of switches. I AM SO HAPPY!! lol
    I also have a set of lights coming that I won on ebay. They plug into the receiver. I wonder how I turn them on and off with the transmitter?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just search for "******* RECEIVER CONTROLLED switch" on Hobby King .com...

RC Competitor

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    Just search for "******* RECEIVER CONTROLLED switch" on Hobby King .com...

Thanks a million for that info on the Receiver Controlled Switch. I shall be ordering one of those very soon.

So, I went and bought 2 switches (on-off-on). As I was taking apart my radio, I remembered I had a TQ3 from way back when that was bad but I couldn't bring myself to throwing it away (wife yells at me all the time for this). Has to be a way to use the Red Thumb rocker switch out of it. I looked inside the new controller and found that it had all the mounting needed for the red thumb switch. Pulled that switch from the old unit and dremelled the slot in the new controller for it. It already had the outline that needed to be removed. Wired that red rocker switch into the RSW (my guess is it stands for rocker switch?) location. Works Great! Then took the switch I just bought and put it in the location thats seen on the 4-Channel radio. I was using a battery pack so the servo would only go from center to right position. I am certain once I use the ESC for power, that switch will work in the other direction as well. Very very pleased! You can not tell that my radio is not a true TQ4. Not able to post pictures yet, but I will when I am allowed.

I have to take a moment and thank danielhr77, THANK YOU danielhr77! YOU SIR, ARE "THE MAN"!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks!!! I'm happy it worked for you too...

Just one more thing I forgot, it's possible to split channel 4 and 5 in two separate channels like mavrim explained...

That means, instead of using one 3-position switch, use two 2-position switches and wire the center of each switch to ground and "UP" to one switch and "DOWN" to the other switch...

This way you can control more lights, or even each T-Lock differential independently... Traxxas didn't thought of that one!

RC Racer
    I wired mine up and it didn't work. Must be one that is programmed with only 2 channels. DANG IT!!!!!

Need to get into to the programming part of it to turn on the other channels. Wonder if the jumpers have anything to do with this? HHHMMMMMM. . . . . . .

Any word on how to interface with the chip? Anybody?
    Last edited by dkur4000; 06-21-2010 at 11:08 AM.

RC poster
    Probably silly question, but which models are upgradeable. I thought it was the 2238, but then I have seen some things that say that is not the case. I am looking to upgrade my stock SCX10 with a 2.4 and would like the option of running a 3 or 4 channel in the future. I have a MERV and a Slash and really like those two radios.

Thanks!
    DAVE

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The only way to know if your TX has 3, 4 or 5 channels is to test it...

http://monster.traxxas.com/showpost....2&postcount=16

RC poster
    Darn.... I was hoping there was rhyme or reason. Guess not?

RC Racer
    I reported earlier that my transmitter would only do 2 channels after the mod. I've been messing with the programming getting it set up to work with two other receivers I put in my Losi Desert truck (stock spectrum SUCKED!!!) my slash and a scaler I have been working on. Today I decided to plug in a servo on the 3rd channel in my scaler thinking "Wouldn't it be wonderful if this worked?" and lo and behold it did!?!?!?!
    I tried the 4th and 5th and they work also!!!!!!

The only thing I really did was to reset the model using Traxxas instructions that came with the receiver to the stock setting.

WHOOHOO!!!! This is AWESOME!!!!!!

So if you do the mod and the transmitter doesn't work for the 3rd, 4th or 5th channel try resetting the transmitter then binding it to the receiver. It just might work.
    Last edited by dkur4000; 06-24-2010 at 03:36 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When you say it works, the servo moves from one side to the other when you flip the switch on the 3rd channel? Because, if you plug a servo on the 3rd channel on the receiver with a 2-channel transmmiter, the servo stays centered...

I'm going to try what you said with the other 2-channel transmitter I have that I didn't mod...

RC Competitor
    I agree on the reset. I did the same thing as dkur4000. My transmitter only showed 2 channels when I tested it. I messed with some of the settings and screwed things up so I decided to reset so I could just start over. Then I had 5 channels. I wasn't sure if it was 5 before because I kept messing with it. Just thought it was coincident, guess not.....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    When you say it works, the servo moves from one side to the other when you flip the switch on the 3rd channel? Because, if you plug a servo on the 3rd channel on the receiver with a 2-channel transmmiter, the servo stays centered...

I'm going to try what you said with the other 2-channel transmitter I have that I didn't mod...

The servo moves from one side to the other. I plan on using it with my summit so installed a stock traxxas thumb switch. The 4th and 5th channels behave strangely. When the 4th channel is on the 5th channel won't work. When the 5th channel switch is moved it moves the 4th channel servo. Vice versa when the 5th is on. I only played with this for a little bit. I did get it to work for each channel separately though. I thought I would mess with it more later today and try to understand it better.
    At least it's working! I am happy about that!

Just a thought: Maybe when the radios are shipped with like say a slash, mini-revo, slayer or something like that they only activate two channels since that is all that is needed. Maybe upon transmitter reset all channels become available. It's strange but on the reset card the summit is with most other electrics.

Oh well. Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and just go with it.
    Last edited by dkur4000; 06-25-2010 at 11:07 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by noir522
    Can the new 2.4ghz 4 channel radio be converted to an 8 channel?
    yall know I cant leave well enough alone.
    No, but I got all 5 channels working the way I want! This was my most recent electronics project. Instead of accepting things the way they were, I added a Stellaris ARM Cortex M3 microcontroller to the transmitter for proof-of-concept. My first attempt was with a demonstration board and I got it to fit with a little effort.

Over the last few months I have been working on adding control over the 5 channels available in the latest Traxxas Link H.O. series of radio systems. I have a TQ2 and a TQ4 version to play with and decided to base my project on the TQ2 just to show what can be done. Here is what I have done:

I have left the original functionality from Traxxas alone because I think it was fine the way it was. This project added control and functionality to all 5 channels above and beyond the original setup.

• It has 10 model memory for custom configurations on top of the original Link functionality.

• It now has a 2x12 character LCD display for the new menu used to configure each of the model settings.

• The menu is driven by a momentary toggle and an incremental encoder knob.

• There is (1) two-position switch 'S1' and (3) three-position switches 'T1', 'T2', and 'T3'.

• Each switch can be assigned to any channel (CH3 - CH5).

• Each channel can be assigned a function (True Position, Mix1 from steering, Mix2 from throttle).

• Each switch position can be assigned a value for its function (servo position, mix%).

• It can be set up anywhere from (3) three-position channels to a configuration that includes steering mix channel, a throttle mix channel, and a 3-position channel.

• True Position is just an assigned servo position. It does not need trim or endpoints and can be set in any order.

• Mix1 from steering can be set up anywhere from full mirror image steering to front only to crab walk steering. There is even an added function which can be assigned to S1 to inhibit front steering for rear only.

• Mix2 from throttle can be set up anywhere from front dig to rear dig to full power on both ESCs.

• If I missed any functionality, I could add it in my firmware.

This was truly a fun project and I think it can cover any current or future RC vehicle that I have or will get. It can work with a Summit, it can work with a comp crawler with mechanical dig, it can work with a super with MOA and rear steer, it can work with a scaler with LEDs and winch, and whatever else I dream of.

Oh, and I think I may have voided my warranty!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by wantAsummit

Oh, and I think I may have voided my warranty!

HOLY SHMOLY!!! And I thought I did well with the three switches I added.

LOL EXCELLENT WORK!!!!! Congratulations on a job well done.

RC poster
    How can I mod it so that 3rd channel to have 3 position ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxgg
    Remove the three wires from the red rocket switch and wire them to a new 3-position switch...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by xxgg
    Like Danielhr77 said. Be sure your switch is on-off-on. It will have three poles. Solder the ground to the middle and one power wire to each of the remaining poles.

I searched the Traxxas site here but couldn't find the TQ3 mod thread. It had excellent pics on how to do this.
    Can anyone remember or provide a link to the mod?

Here is what I found:
    http://www.rccaraction.com/Media/Med...wtoconvert.pdf

Sorry to divert someone away from the forum here.

Be reminded this is the old TQ3 but the idea and procedure is exactly the same if you have the thumb switch already on your transmitter.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkur4000
    So if you do the mod and the transmitter doesn't work for the 3rd, 4th or 5th channel try resetting the transmitter then binding it to the receiver. It just might work.
    Well, I tried it today with another TQ 2.4hgz Link that I have, had 2 channels from factory, did my 2 to 4 channel mod, reset the transmitter to factory defaults several times and didn't work... "Might" is the word...

RC poster
    so to clarify and correct me if i am wrong
    If wired as danielhr77 posted you have
    1) 3 way switch on-off-on and
    1) 2 way on-off

or as mavrim has
    1) 3 way on-off-on and
    2) 2 way on-off switches

or am I wrong and daniel's way would get (2) 3 way switches?
    I'm am looking to do rear steer and servo winch and would like the center neutral on both switches.

I guess if not I could always get a 6 prong switch
    and split the rear steer servo with the servo winch
    (found this on Scale4x4 )

BTW I just picked up a 2.4 2ch HO link for $45.35 shipped and a spare receiver for $25 on ebay here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300446955794

RC poster
    Well here is a less than positive update
    Please do not Buy from the ebay seller I posted just above this. I would delete the link but i cant edit the post.
    I paid via paypal on the 20th and the radio and 2 receivers didn't get here till today. Thats right 11 whole shipping days from someone only 5 hours away. the payment via paypal cleared right away and it was not shipped out until the 30th.
    and that was only after i asked where it was multiple times and he told me he checked and it was shipped out

To make it worse I cant get more than the 2 channels.
    This is the 2ch HO model 2238 (22383940 inside the battery cover)
    I plugged in a few servos,bound. then tried to navigate the menu tree to ch 3,4,& 5 with no luck.

I also tried to restore default settings for the summit as dkur4000 suggested.
    whats odd is I have done the radio reset for default summit, and even deleted the model. i got the confirmation light for both and yet the receiver is still bound.

anyway now i have to sell this one and try with another 2ch HO or get a 4ch HO.... or do i want the 4ch non link? will those work with the link receiver?
    I just dont want to give up model memory but have read you can adjust the pots on at least ch3.

Im looking to get model memory and two 3 channel switches.

does anyone have any suggestions b4 i sell this darn thing lol
    Last edited by Spoo76; 08-02-2010 at 06:26 PM.

RC Qualifier
    My controller has 5 channel function, but only two channels are used (steering and throttle) and I recently bought an emaxx and out the two speed kit on it. I Did the 3rd channel mod and it works perfectly! Thanks danielhr77 for your hard work.
    Savage Flux, .0625 rally vxl