Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

TQ Link 2.4GHz - 2 to 4 Channel Mod

Hello Guys,

Well, I got my Slash 4x4 last week and I wanted to have at least 1 more channel on my radio system to turn on/off the lights remotely... If you remember, I was the first to find out how to convert the old TQ 2.4Ghz transmitter from 2 to 4 channels when I got my ERBE last year... If you don't remember it, check my thread about it: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=465950

So, after a few emails and PMs about this, I was wondering if it was possible to convert the new TQ Link 2.4GHz transmitter from 2 channels to 4 channels (we already have a 5-channel receiver on the truck)... And, the answer is again, YES!!!

I must admit this mod was very easy to do because the new TQ 2.4Ghz Link is fully digital (no trims or switches)... On the old TQ 2.4Ghz transmitter, I had to add and remove a few parts on the board, and I spent some time trying to figure it out...

As I always say, this mod is working just fine for me, but, this will void your warranty and I'm not responsable if you ruin your transmitter...

I suppose you know how to open the new TQ Link 2.4Ghz transmitter: 5 screws on the back, remove the plastic cover from the on/off switch, remove the battery holder and the 2 screws on the board...

After that, you can see 4 empty pads on the board that says: UP DWN (RSW) and UP DWN (ISW)... You have to connect 2 switches to those 4 pads... I used a three positions switch, that is: OFF-ON-OFF (for the Summit's T-Lock)... But, you can also use a two positions switch, that is: ON-OFF (for the Revo 3.3 reverse)...

I labeled the pads and also the switches so it's easier to follow... As you can see, pads 1 to 4 goes to the exterior legs on the switches (yellow and green wires)...

Also, you need to connect the middle leg on both switches (white and purple wires) to ground... I used an empty ground pad on the top board where the trims are...

This is how my temporary setup looks on my new TQ 2.4Ghz Link...

And, a video to prove that it works...

Hope you like this new mod... Now, I can use it on my Summit!!!

Daniel.

PS: I'll try to find out if it's possible to make the 5th channel work...

Last edited by danielhr77; 02-14-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Racer
    Thanks!! I'm on it.

RC Champion
    I'm not gonna be tryin it any time soon, but good job anyway.

Very creative, Daniel! Looks like your 2-channel radio's board was calibrated as a 4-channel. There may be a few other Traxxas 2-ch TXs with which this mod will work, but all our 2-ch systems should be calibrated as 2-ch, which means the extra positions on the board will not work if you hook switches up to them. So, if you perform this mod and the switches don't work, that's why...but you'll still have a voided warranty!

RC Enthusiast
    Peter, any updates on when the new 4 channel Link transmitter will be available?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterV
    Very creative, Daniel!
    Thanks!!! I like to do these things...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterV
    Looks like your 2-channel radio's board was calibrated as a 4-channel.
    Actually, my 2-channel radio's board was calibrated as a 5-channel, but I can't seem to find the 5th channel yet...

I'll keep researching because it's not obvious like the 4 pads on the board...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    Actually, my 2-channel radio's board was calibrated as a 5-channel, but I can't seem to find the 5th channel yet...

I'll keep researching because it's not obvious like the 4 pads on the board...

Daniel,

I did your mod to a 2.4ghz Link Hi-Output transmitter and I was able to get all channels to work. The funny thing is that all 5 are available, you just did not realize it!

I ran 4 wires from the pads you mentioned. One pair of wires are for the third channel (RSW - up/down), which is rear steering for my TXT-1 Monster Truck. I mounted two momentary pushbuttons above the steering wheel (one in each of the diagonal end pieces). Up goes to one switch and down goes to the other switch. Ground is connected to the 2 unused connections on the switch. So now by pressing the top button my wheels turn and then center when released. The opposite when I press the other button. When using the wheel to control the front steering, I can press either button to steer the rear.

This is where the 5th channel comes into play. I mounted a 3 way switch that is on-off-on and wired that to the other pair of wires (ISW - up/down). The center of this switch is connected to ground. I thought the 4th channel servo would go from neutral to left or neutral to right, like the rear steering did. I was wrong! I found that by flipping the switch from ground to ISW up would rotate the 4th channel servo and ISW down would rotate the 5th channel servo. So now I plan to add one more switch so that the 4th and 5th channels can be separated. For the mean time I can only choose either the 4th or 5th channel by using the one switch.

The wiring I described is identical to the pictures you show! In your video, the second switch is only controlling one servo and one direction only. Connect another servo to channel 5 and the same wiring will control it.

I was baffled by 2 channel 1's on the receiver, until it dawned on me that the summit used dual steering servos and there are connections for both servos to plug in (rather than using a Y adapter).

Last edited by mavrim; 03-16-2010 at 08:29 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mavrim
    Daniel,

This is where the 5th channel comes into play. I mounted a 3 way switch that is on-off-on and wired that to the other pair of wires (ISW - up/down). The center of this switch is connected to ground. I thought the 4th channel servo would go from neutral to left or neutral to right, like the rear steering did. I was wrong! I found that by flipping the switch from ground to ISW up would rotate the 4th channel servo and ISW down would rotate the 5th channel servo. So now I plan to add one more switch so that the 4th and 5th channels can be separated. For the mean time I can only choose either the 4th or 5th channel by using the one switch.

Please post a wiring diagram of the seperated 4th and 5th channels please.
    I would like to see how this arrangement is done. Thanks

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by EMAXX ab USER
    Please post a wiring diagram of the seperated 4th and 5th channels please.
    I would like to see how this arrangement is done. Thanks
    It is the same wiring diagram that Daniel posted at the top of this thread!

He must have not had the 5th channel servo plugged in and assumed that there was no channel switch connections available? I connected both the 4th and 5th channel servos. The same switch that daniel shows in his wiring must be a 3 way switch, meaning that the center is open and having 2 positions (on - off - on). When the switch is toggled in either direction, it causes that wire to be grounded and control the appropriate servo.

Let me ask...

RC Qualifier
    Great work! I just sold my extra 2CH High Output system a couple of dys ago thinking it couldn't be done, looks like I'm out to buy another since my 4CH High Output is still on backorder and I am seeing some sites push them into March.

PeterV, please share if you can. I have watched it go from Jan to almost March now and it's definitely frustrating since I've been sitting on my Summit for a while now waiting for something.
    Last edited by padrino; 02-15-2010 at 05:29 PM.

RC Racer
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by RAVIN; 02-15-2010 at 08:25 PM.

RC Racer
    Done!!!!!!
    Last edited by RAVIN; 02-15-2010 at 08:27 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RAVIN
    Done!!!!!!
    Is that the 2CH link modded in a 4CH case and switches?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by padrino
    Is that the 2CH link modded in a 4CH case and switches?

It's the 2ch with the 4ch switches I cut and drilled it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RAVIN
    It's the 2ch with the 4ch switches I cut and drilled it.
    It looks good, did you get the switches from an old unit or can you buy them somewhere?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by padrino
    It looks good, did you get the switches from an old unit or can you buy them somewhere?
    I used the switches from the stock summit radio.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice work!!! I'm glad it's working for you too...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, I tried it before I modded it and I think that's the key to make it work...

I guess if it's not working for you it's because the microcontroller on the board wasn't programmed to do that...

So far, I know two that worked and two that didn't... Just luck, I guess...

RC Qualifier
    Yes, I tried it before I modded it and I think that's the key to make it work...

I guess if it's not working for you it's because the microcontroller on the board wasn't programmed to do that...

So far, I know two that worked and two that didn't... Just luck, I guess...

For the ones that worked, outside of yours do you know how new they are? Mine is a couple months old at this point so it's early in the production cycle, I wonder if they flipped recently when they started making the 4CH units.

RC Qualifier
    good job. now just out of curiosity, in the top picture all the way at the bottom you see the (battery -) and (battery +) labels, is that the spot to put leads on for rechargeable batteries?
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

RC Qualifier
    Two quick questions..

Two posts up, can you comment on the release date of the radios you are using, some of the first or recent Slash purchases?

RAVIN, did you see my PM?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zrau17
    good job. now just out of curiosity, in the top picture all the way at the bottom you see the (battery -) and (battery +) labels, is that the spot to put leads on for rechargeable batteries?
    That's where the battery leads power the board, I believe.
    Last edited by dkur4000; 04-24-2010 at 06:00 PM.

RC Racer
    Does anyone know which channel is for the thumb switch?
    Is it the RSW or the ISW?

Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sure, I bought my Slash 4x4 from Tower 2 weeks ago...

RC Qualifier
    Sure, I bought my Slash 4x4 from Tower 2 weeks ago...

Thanks, it seems there may be something to it since I pinged a number of people on ebay and RC Tech with units for sale and quickly found one that shows 5 channels just like yours. It's on it's way now and with Tower moving my backorder for the factory 4CH version to March I am going to make my own as well .

RC Champion
    I've got three of these radios and just tested them, all three are capable of 5 channels. Time to start modding lol.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info, mine shows 5 blinks. 5 channels

RC Racer
    I also checked my other 4x4 that was still in the box.
    It is also 5 channel ready.
    This one has RED menu and set BUTTONS.
    I suppose the latest radios have RED buttons?
    Anyone else have one?

RC Champion
    Of my three, two have red buttons and one has yellow buttons.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Enthusiast
    Bummer! Both of mine only blink twice (2 channels). Incidently, they also have yellow buttons.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice!!! This thread became popular... Hope Traxxas doesn't hate me...

PS: if someone wants to sell one (5ch) cheap with int shipping, please pm me...

RC Qualifier
    i'm interested too for around under $50 with int. shipping
    My mini E-Revo.net and the BIG ERevo.net

RC Racer
    For some reason when I tried my new link controller it at first only blinked twice showing me that I had a 2 channel tx and not the 5 I hoped for. I decided to try it again following the video a second time. Now the tx is blinking 5 times. I tried it again and its still blinking 5 times. Woo hoo. Not sure why it blinked only twice the first time I tried but im glad I tried it again. Thanks for the mod info Danielhr77

RC Racer
    I just checked mine that came with my Rustler about a month ago (serial# A0006969), and it will only blink 4 times, after that it goes back around to 1 blink. Should I still be able to mod it for 4 channels?
    Traxxas Link, VXL motor and ESC for sale, PM me!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by digi
    I just checked mine that came with my Rustler about a month ago (serial# A0006969), and it will only blink 4 times, after that it goes back around to 1 blink. Should I still be able to mod it for 4 channels?
    Can anyone give me any info on this? Does anyone know what it means to only blink 4 times instead of 5? I took a peak inside and the PCB is identical to the pictures in the first post, with the 4 blank solder tabs, so if I could atleast get 4 channels I would be happy. Thanks.
    Traxxas Link, VXL motor and ESC for sale, PM me!

RC poster
    my TX is 2838 link TX (28383940) with red buttons near on/off switch.
    i tried tons of things to blink the channel number more than 2 blinks and failed. last two hours i tried all of things and still blinks 2.
    so.. is that all??? noooooo ))
    connect the steering servo to ch3 on receiver. opened up the tx with 5 screws. turn on tx and esc. all system is on now. throttle works but steering out of order cuz its connected on ch3 on rx.
    i took a wire and just touch one side to (-) neg. other side of wire to the RSW up/down part. and it works ))))))
    also try the other channel and sound is excellent, it is working.

DO NOT LOOK HOW MANY BLINKS ON YOUR TRANSMITTER'S CHANNEL MENU. MINE HAS TWO BLINKS AND ALL FIVE CHANNEL IS WORKING NOW. JUST TRY SIMPLE CONNECTION AND SEE THE GOOD RESULT )))))))))))))))))))

RC poster
    Would this work for a mini summit to turn lights on and off???

RC poster
    I love all the info, tho before I go and start re-wiring want to make sure I have this right.

Radio I have is the TQ 2.4ghz.. 2240 ..

I would like to have the 3 way toggle make that channel move the servo to three different positions .

If I do the mod that puts in the on - off - on toggle or remove the r30 and r16 will that make the 3 way toggle on channel 4 make the servo goto three different positions.

I m trying to use the radio for a tamiya semi truck that has a 3 speed transmisson and requires 3 different position on a single servo to control it.

RC poster
    halo everybody.....i would like to ask u all to help me for the traxxas tq 2.4ghz (model 2239 channel 4) channel 4 activate at radio or receiver. i am follow all connection same like your diagram which is an indication from u at traxxas forum. but the problem i have is at TSW connect wiring just only the function i have active the(down) only at my servo and the (up) function total dint have a function. Or i not yet activate from transmitter radio setting?

can u help me to solve the problem i have, please. thanks.....