Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RC poster

is it possible that this is happening ?

hi guys im really new on here but not to model !!! can i ask the guys who originally had only 2 channels did you mod them before messing round in the menu and then reset them ? if so could it be that the unit detects on other channels / switches somehow then kicks in ??

ive just bought a 2 channel model 2238 but can only get 2 channels to register on the menu gutted ! cause there aint many on ebay over here in the uk.

could it be that when the switch is put in that it send a current / signal to open more channels

whats your opinions ??

cheers

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When I got mine, I just installed the 2 switches and started working... Nothing else...

I don't think that the circuit can detect if the switches are installed or not... I mean, could be possible, but I don't think it was programmed that way...

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    When I got mine, I just installed the 2 switches and started working... Nothing else...

I don't think that the circuit can detect if the switches are installed or not... I mean, could be possible, but I don't think it was programmed that way...

There is. this was on page 1 for anyone wondering how to check b4 you mod the radio.

I think I found an easy way to know if the transmitter has the 3rd and 4th channel enabled...

Basically, I guess, you shouldn't be able to configure more than 2 channels on the transmitter, but, in my transmitter I was able to configure up to the 5th channel...

Check my video, you'll see the green LED blinking five times at the end...

That's the way I discovered that my transmitter had those channels enabled...

RC poster
    hi
    yeah ive done the check my only flashed twice ! then returned to 1 so does that mean not worth while tryin to mod ? think i might be stuffed ! need 3 channel for my revo need reverse !

RC poster

looking at the traxxas 2.4 info !

hey guys
    not sure about this but the website says that one controller should do all models !

http://www.traxxas.com/products/acce...raxxaslink.htm

now it seems that the reciever talks to the controller ! to tell it which model it running and set its self !

could it be that the reciever tells the controller to open up more channels ? if its been used for 3 or 4th ?

would they really have different software for each hand set ! plus i also found a bit about telling the transmitter which model you have unsure thou if for this version ? could this be another way to open the extra channels ?

RC poster
    thats just model memory. all it does is store the setting for each RC you have in the transmitter

so lets say you need more or less trim on your crawler than your nitro truck or your buggy. just turn on your car and then the radio and the radio will know which saved settings to use

this thread is mostly about getting the extra channels to work on the standard 2 channel radio
    some have it unlocked. some do not.
    if you are lucky its unlocked and you just add the needed switches

RC poster
    Well,,,

Back when this thread was originally posted, I checked my radio and it only flashed 2 times (like it should because it was a 2ch radio).
    Few weeks ago, I tried it again and I am seeing 5 flashes as in 5ch. Not sure what I did between those times but I did play around with the settings a lot and did several default resets.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by xxgg
    Well,,,

Back when this thread was originally posted, I checked my radio and it only flashed 2 times (like it should because it was a 2ch radio).
    Few weeks ago, I tried it again and I am seeing 5 flashes as in 5ch. Not sure what I did between those times but I did play around with the settings a lot and did several default resets.

hi m8
    did you use any other recievers or try to use other cars with multi channels

the bit im thinking is in this statement on the traxxas website

Traxxas Link's smart software will overwrite the model-memory for the model that has been unused the longest. Any of the model-memories can be "locked," preventing the Traxxas Link from over-writing the memory.

now am i right in thinking that if the link reciever is capable of talking back to the transmitter possibly opening other channels ?

what do you guys think ??

just bought a 3 channel 4908 unit from america i will be trying linking the 2 channel up to it and see what happens !

cheers
    Last edited by tmbc; 08-26-2010 at 05:01 AM.
    tmaxx 1.5 purple peril revo not standard ;0)

RC poster
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. Traxxas didn't design these to be unlocked so people can get the more expensive radio for the price of the least expensive. that wouldn't make much business sense.

and again that is just for model memory. all that says is you can lock your favorite RC settings in the controllers memory so it does not auto delete when space runs out.

Mine showed only 2 available channels. I tried with 2 different receivers did full resets and also deleted the models and tried again. i also tried with servos plugged into all channels just to be sure they were not active
    if by some strange chance the receiver could unlock the transmitter I would think it would have worked by now
    if there is some other way to unlock it that would be great because i still have the Tq2 gathering dust with 2 receivers lol

Ive tried multiple times with no luck so i just picked up 2 hobby king 6 channel heli radios to convert to pistol grip
    this way i get 2 more channels over the TQ4 and real 3 position switches. all for less $

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoo76
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. Traxxas didn't design these to be unlocked so people can get the more expensive radio for the price of the least expensive. that wouldn't make much business sense.

and again that is just for model memory. all that says is you can lock your favorite RC settings in the controllers memory so it does not auto delete when space runs out.

Mine showed only 2 available channels. I tried with 2 different receivers did full resets and also deleted the models and tried again. i also tried with servos plugged into all channels just to be sure they were not active
    if by some strange chance the receiver could unlock the transmitter I would think it would have worked by now
    if there is some other way to unlock it that would be great because i still have the Tq2 gathering dust with 2 receivers lol

Ive tried multiple times with no luck so i just picked up 2 hobby king 6 channel heli radios to convert to pistol grip
    this way i get 2 more channels over the TQ4 and real 3 position switches. all for less $
    I do hope you plan to share this conversion with the rest of us. On another website of course. it is okay to post links to other websites and mods, right?
    Too many characters and not enough space allowed.

RC Racer
    OK, I did the test and I got 5 blinks before it started back over to one. I did the 2-5 channel mod. I have channel 3 on a 3-position on-off-on switch. Im kind of confused about channels 4 and 5 as I have them on a 2-position switch and you can only get one channel to work at a time. If you use the 4th channel by itself and the 5th channel by itself all is fine but if you turn channel 4 on and try to turn channel 5 on the channel 5 switch will work the channel 4 servo and vise versa.. I know I could hook 4 and 5 up on another 3-position switch and it would work but I'd rather have the two channels on separate switches. So what am I doing wrong or is that how it works??
    Last edited by revo_racer; 09-24-2010 at 06:31 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Let me check it and I'll try to get back to you about this between today and tomorrow...

RC Racer
    Let me check it and I'll try to get back to you about this between today and tomorrow...

Thanks for the reply daniel..... I look forward to your findings for this problem...

I also want to add a charge jack to the radio but not sure where to solder it on the pc board, if anyone knows please let me know..
    Last edited by revo_racer; 09-25-2010 at 12:50 AM.

RC Racer
    Any luck yet on the problem i mentioned above???

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sorry, had a busy day yesterday, I'll check it today...

RC Racer
    Sorry, had a busy day yesterday, I'll check it today...

daniel, I look forward to your findings....

so the concensus says which 2 channel radio model # is most often able to be customized for additional channels?

I would hate to buy the wrong radio from the start - any "best" model to use?
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    I added a charging jack to the radio, Do I hook it up where the battery tray hooks up to the pcb???

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jarchie
    I do hope you plan to share this conversion with the rest of us. On another website of course. it is okay to post links to other websites and mods, right?
    there are a few threads about it on rccrawler in the electronics forum
    try doing a limited search for maybe pistol grip conversion

a member "wantasummit" has also created a module that plugs into the traxxas receiver to combine channels 4 & 5 so you can have a true 3 position switch with endpoints.
    I figured i would post up since im sure a few members here would want it

it can also be found on rccrawler electronics forum

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by revo_racer
    daniel, I look forward to your findings....
    Hey revo_racer, sorry for the delay, I had a busy week... Bad news, it's just like you said... So, actually, it's not two separate channels...

Last edited by danielhr77; 10-05-2010 at 07:18 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks danielhr77 another successful mod done.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm glad it worked for you too!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That looks great! The white on the other thread loos great too!

Last edited by danielhr77; 10-09-2010 at 03:29 PM.

RC Racer
    guys, what is the easiest way to get my 4908 tmaxx to work on the newer 2.4 systems IF I have reverse. Im a little confused with all the different models out there. Some work some dont and some work with other recievers while others dont.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Please, this thread is only for the subject in matter...

Thanks!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Please, this thread is only for the subject in matter...

Thanks!

sorry about that. My search continues then

RC Enthusiast
    Wired my tx today, and it was a lot easier than I thought. Awesome thread! Only issue is that the switch for my T-lock is all on or all off. If it's up, both diffs in the Summit are unlocked, if it's down, both diffs are locked, but if its in the middle, they are both unlocked still instead of the front locking. Is this possibly an adjustment issue? I just wired everything like the OP.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by i Roll View Post
    Wired my tx today, and it was a lot easier than I thought. Awesome thread! Only issue is that the switch for my T-lock is all on or all off. If it's up, both diffs in the Summit are unlocked, if it's down, both diffs are locked, but if its in the middle, they are both unlocked still instead of the front locking. Is this possibly an adjustment issue? I just wired everything like the OP.
    Never mind. I must have missed the part about the TLock piece in the receiver box causing an issue. Just unplugged the front servo from it and put it in channel 4, and the TLock piece with rear servo and leds in channel 5. Problem solved.

RC Competitor
    So if I want to setup my crawler with my 2242 or 2238 tx so it has the ability to have 4 wheel steering and on/off for my lights, what are my different options? For example can it be set to turn all 4 wheels with the steering wheel, and a 3 way to control just the rear, while retaining the ability to control lights with a 2 way? If so how would I go about it? I'm fine with soldering and electronics, just need to be shown once. Can all of this be accomplished?

1. steering wheel controls just the front and 3 way switch controls the rear for left, centered, right
    2. and the ability to have the steering wheel control front and rear for true 4ws
    3. separate on/off for lights
    Last edited by rcmonkey; 02-05-2011 at 02:24 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I think all you'd have to do is use the unit in this thread
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ead-By-Quadiak

Look about half way down the page. There is a computer that allows you to do 4ws, crab walking, or locked rear stear. I'm using the 2238 for my crawler with the lights plugged into channel 3, so I can click them on and off with the lo/hi switch.

RC poster
    I guess it's to be expected that this mod would have been fixed by now. I have 3 of these TX's at my house that have all been purchased in the last month. All are a No-go on the mod :-(

RC Enthusiast
    Maybe my "mod" is interesting for you

I had a 4ch Non-TQ link 2.4Ghz TX, then I bought a 2ch TQ Link 2.4Ghz TX, and I switched the 2.4Ghz modules, now I have a perfect 4ch TQ Link 2.4Ghz TX! No soldering required.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...to-4ch-TQ-Link!

I think the 2ch / 4ch programming is in the green PCB, not in de 2.4Ghz module... because my controller didn't blink more than 2 times

RC poster
    my TX is 2838 link TX (28383940) with red buttons near on/off switch.
    i tried tons of things to blink the channel number more than 2 blinks and failed. last two hours i tried all of things and still blinks 2.
    so.. is that all??? noooooo ))
    connect the steering servo to ch3 on receiver. opened up the tx with 5 screws. turn on tx and esc. all system is on now. throttle works but steering out of order cuz its connected on ch3 on rx.
    i took a wire and just touch one side to (-) neg. other side of wire to the RSW up/down part. and it works ))))))
    also try the other channel and sound is excellent, it is working.

DO NOT LOOK HOW MANY BLINKS ON YOUR TRANSMITTER'S CHANNEL MENU. MINE HAS TWO BLINKS AND ALL FIVE CHANNEL IS WORKING NOW. JUST TRY SIMPLE CONNECTION AND SEE THE GOOD RESULT )))))))))))))))))))

RC poster
    Would this work for a mini summit to turn lights on and off???

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, with the right electronic swith like the one from Pico or *******...

RC poster
    Maybe someone can help me. I have a couple of the 2.4 2 channel TX, but I only get 2 blinking lights when I check how many channels they're programmed for. Oh well.

I do, however, have a 4 channel now and wanted to use it to control turning my light kit on and off. I found out that chan 3 and 4 are always hot though... i.e., when i hook up the lights to either of those channels, the switches have no effect (lights always on). I'd like to use the 2 position red rocker switch to control the lights. What do I need to do to make it on=hot, off=dead??

Thanks!

RC poster
    My TQ 2.4 has only two channels enabled. I try almost everything, but nothing happened, i always get two blinks checking channels. Also, if if connect a servo on channel, 3, 4 or 5, I can move, by hand,the servo to the position I want and servo still there.. so, there is no doubt.. other channels are disabled on my TX.
    I did the same checks to another TQ 2,4 from a friend of mine (both TX are from Erevo's) and his Tx has the other channels enabled...
    Is there any way to download the firmware from his TX and upload it to my TX??

Do Traxxas have firmware updates?

Thanks!!

RC poster
    I love all the info, tho before I go and start re-wiring want to make sure I have this right.

Radio I have is the TQ 2.4ghz.. 2240 ..

I would like to have the 3 way toggle make that channel move the servo to three different positions .

If I do the mod that puts in the on - off - on toggle or remove the r30 and r16 will that make the 3 way toggle on channel 4 make the servo goto three different positions.

I m trying to use the radio for a tamiya semi truck that has a 3 speed transmisson and requires 3 different position on a single servo to control it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just use a three position switch on channel 3... I don't remember right now which pads are channel 3 on the board... But, you have two options to check, the two on the left (RSW) or the two on the right (TSW)... Just try...

RC poster
    hi danielhr77
    can you do me a favor, i want my traxxas link 2.4ghz 2 channel to make it 3 channel for may nitro revo, i want to have a reverse switch for my revo, correct me if im wrong.. from your diagram number 1,2 and the (5 or 6 ground) is the 3rd channel to make it 3 channel system? tnx