RC Turnbuckle Jr.

TQ 2.4GHz - 2 to 4 Channel Mod

(This is a re-post)

Hello Guys,

Well, I got my E.R.B.E. last week and I wanted to have at least 3 channels on my radio to turn on/off the lights remotely... I didn't want to buy a new 2.4GHz receiver for my Nomadio, or go back to the AM TQ4 from my Summit...

So, I was wondering if it was possible to convert the TQ 2.4GHz from 2 channels to 4 channels (we already have a 4-channel receiver on the truck)... And, the answer is YES!!!

This mod is working just fine for me, but, this will void your warranty and I'm not responsable if you ruin your transmitter...

I suppose you know how to open the TQ transmitter: 5 screws on the back, remove the plastic cover from the on/off switch, remove the battery holder and the 3 screws on the board..

1) Get 2 switches from a TQ or TQ3, the small ones on the front...

The two holes for these switches are already made on the transmitter...

And, the board has the holes and is ready to solder the switches on it...

2) Install both switches and solder them...

3) The guys from Traxxas are smart, if you don't install a jumper (a wire or a 0 ohm resistor like R30 or R38) on R33 and R18, channels 3 and 4 won't work...

More below...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    4) I'm planning to use two external potentiometers on the top of the transmitter like the ones on the front (taken from a TQ or a TQ3 too) but most of you guys will do fine with internal potentiometers... I'm going to show you what and where to solder them... As an example, on the left, the TQ4 from the Summit, you can see both potentiometes "Pot 1" and "Pot 2", these are 100kohms... You need to install both of them on the 2.4Ghz transmitter where it says "Pot 1" and "Pot 2"... I already soldered some wires for the external potentiometer...

5) And now, the switches... These switches can have 2 or 3 positions... I mean, LEFT-RIGHT, or, LEFT-MIDDLE-RIGHT... You need 2 switches like the ones on the left... I labeled them with colors... You will find the same labels on the board... Just solder three cables on each switch and solder those cables on the board...

You can drill two 6mm holes wherever you want and install these switches on the transmitter...

6) Then put everything back in, and cut 2 square holes on the front for the switches...

And, that's it!!! A Traxxas 2.4Ghz 4-channel transmitter...

Let me know if you like it and if you need more information about this...

Daniel.

PS: I also changed the ugly red LED for a blue one...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    UPDATE: I tested everything with my custom light system, not with servos... The servos were only turning to one side, 45 degrees from the center... So, after a little research I found out we need to remove two 0 ohms resistors... These are the pictures, I circled the two resistors in yellow... It's not easy to remove them, they are so small...

Just in case, I made a video, if you like how the servos are turning right now, go ahead and remove both resistors...

You will need to calibrate the potentiometers in order to leave both of them centered again, they are very sensitive... The one on the bottom has to be calibrated, the one on the top looks good now...

Let me know if you need anything else, this is trial and error, you know...

Daniel.

RC Racer
    its a nice mod but why go threw all of this when you can click click click and get a knock at the door in a day or 2. have a brand new receiver.
    couple of helis and a revo 3.3

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, but, you forgot one simple detail, the 4 channel transmitter was not released by Traxxas when I did this mod...

Original thread: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=465950

So, it was not available anywhere... Same as the TQ 2.4Ghz Link mod, check this forum...

Last edited by danielhr77; 02-17-2010 at 07:32 AM.