Thread: stock body dead

RC Racer

stock body dead

im not to happy with how long the stock top lasted . both rear mount punched thru and the rear 1/4 cracked all the way up. what bodys have u guys had good luck with

RC Champion
    Did you use any of those body washers between the clips and body? That helps out a lot. You can paint/dye them to whatever color is similar to the body.

RC Qualifier
    I just got on here to rant about mine. Took it racing for the second time last night and it had some thrashing from the first round of racing but now it is utterly useless. I had to zip tie my body mounts to the thing to keep it from coming off. Lost it completely near the last lap of the main. Hopefully my freshly painted proline shell performs better.
    ENJOY the hobby, don't HATE it.

RC Champion
    You guys are all talking about the PE body?
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Competitor
    You guys gotta run some tape around the underside of the body to help with the tearing. These Traxxas bodies are thin. I use strapping tape on mine. I hear others using drywall tape and a combination of shoo goo. The plastic body washers are almost a must to keep the metal clips from tearing through. Proline makes thicker bodies but with that comes a heavier truck and they will also crack and tear if you crash them hard enough.

RC Champion
    The shoe goo and fiberglass drywall tape is the best way to make the body stronger IMO , it does add a little weight but my bodies last 2-3 times longer .

It also works great for the spots where the tire rubs , tape works ok for a while but rubs through pretty quickly or the adhesive in the tape dries out and the tape falls off .....
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC poster
    I used the body washers supplied and have done plenty of bashing/racing at the track no problems yet.
    VXL Power Ftw!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hasslefree
    im not to happy with how long the stock top lasted . both rear mount punched thru and the rear 1/4 cracked all the way up. what bodys have u guys had good luck with

Same thing happend to mine... Now duct tape on the inside holds it together.

I like proline bodies they are tuff...

Have yet to try a JC one but hear there good too.
    Slash 4X4 PLATINUM EDITION, Revo 3.3 Crawler

RC Champion
    Anyone know of a clear proline body that is similar in design to the stock body?

RC Champion
    Is the PE clear body the same thickness as the Pre-painted traxxas bodies?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSlash4x4
    Is the PE clear body the same thickness as the Pre-painted traxxas bodies?

Yes ..... They are ....

RC Champion
    Cool... didn't expect that. With all the complaints I thought they would be thinner.

RC Champion
    My J Concepts Illuzion Truth body is alot thicker than the stock body , that new Manta body from J Concepts is pretty sweet .....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.T.O.3.3
    My J Concepts Illuzion Truth body is alot thicker than the stock body , that new Manta body from J Concepts is pretty sweet .....
    Where did you get it?

RC Champion
    Not mine , but you can get them from J Concepts direct ...

http://www.jconcepts.net/

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSlash4x4
    Anyone know of a clear proline body that is similar in design to the stock body?

http://www.prolineracing.com/

RC Qualifier
    amen to the Proline Bodies cracking, I noticed a "flight" difference with the different, heavier body on. It also lasted one night at the track. The whole front end of my Proline Desert Rat is falling off like a bumper cover falling off a front of a 1:1 pick up if you can picture what I am saying...

I will stick to the Traxxas Body I guess and right them off as a hobby expense...
    Three Summits

RC Champion
    Try the Shoe Goo and drywall tape , it really does work .

Was it custom painted using liquid mask ? (if you score the body when you trim out the mask it will crack along the scored line)

You must make sure there is enough clearence between the body and the front/rear bumpers or when they take a hit and flex they smack the body and crack it .

Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Champion
    kinda wierd, but mine hasn't cracked the least bit at the mounting holes. instead, there is a 3 inch crack on the back end, and cracks in the truck bed on both sides

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by azurebluemach1
    I used the body washers supplied and have done plenty of bashing/racing at the track no problems yet.
    What is the proper way to install the body washers? I have one of the new waterproof Stampede XL-5's with the stock pickup body. I have had a lot of tear our around the rear 2 body holes. The way the pick up bed is inset, I can not install the body washer between the body and the body clip. Am I missing something here? Fortunately, I don't have any tear out around the front 2 holes.

I've doing a lot of jumping/bashing in the snow the past few months, so I'm putting the body to the test. I will try the drywall tape and shoe good suggestion. Seems like it would work.

RC Competitor
    All you have to do is trim the body washer a little so it fits flush. I'll take sissors or snips and trim off one edge that will allow it to sit down on the body up against that side wall on the rear posts. Obviously the less you cut off the more surface protection you'll have. Then you place the washer over the body and under the clip.