RC poster

Xerun 80A Review

Hey guys and gals,

Thought I'd post an actual review of the Xerun 80A since i couldn't find many reviews on this ESC when I was considering ordering one.

First impressions: Excellent packaging, thorough instructions. The unit looks pretty cool with the shiny blue-ness going on. It came pre wired in the package with two Deans type plugs wired in series, and 4mm bullet connectors for the motor connection. In the package they also included mounting screws and double sided mounting tape for the controller and the switch, stickers, and heat shrink tubing.

Mounting in E-Revo: This is the part that surprised me - the mounting holes line up PERFECTLY with the E-Revo mounting holes! maybe that's just the industry standard size, but it seems to me that maybe the Hobbywing folks were targeting us E-Revo owners from the start on this thing. I took the bait and I'm glad I did.

Set up: I just ran it with the factory settings, and set up is really simple. I'm running it with a cheapo Hobby King 1900 KV 9XL motor, geared 17/65 on 2 2s ***** 4000 25C packs, wired in series. I noticed absolutely no cogging at all at low speeds. The power band is pretty linear and smooth, with a slight jump at about 80% throttle when it jumps into warp speed - this could probably be programmed out with the programmer box, which I'll purchase later. The only minor complaint I have is that the reverse delay is really short - we're talking milliseconds - on the factory settings. So, when you hit the brakes it almost immediately goes into reverse instead of holding the brakes for a few seconds. Again, probably something that can be dialed out with the programmer box.

Overall I'm very impressed and pleased with the purchase. If you're satisfied with 4s speed and power (so far I definitely am, HUGE improvement over the double brushed setup) then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this setup. I don't have much wheel time on this setup yet, but as I get more I'll update the post. Chime in if you have questions - thanks for reading!

Mike

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Mike, thanks for that. I'm just now rebuilding and restoring a used erevo and reviews like this are very helpful.

I recently bought a single Kershaw Designs 700-HO motor due mainly because it retains its waterproof-ness, and I hear it's more powerful than both the stock motors combined, but I'm sure at some point I'll want to explore the world of brushless.

RC Racer
    so where and how much is this system, thanks

RC poster
    I got the system from Dan Kershaw (kershawdesigns.com), shipped to Alaska for about $85. Shipping took less than a week which is really quick to get something up here. I've also seen them on E-Bay for about the same $$ but shipped from places very far from home.

RC Qualifier
    I am running the same set up in my off roader to pass the time while I wait on my Mamba Monster ESC replacement. Whats your temperatures like mrod? On 18/65 I get super hot! Even have to wait most times as the internal over heat system kicks in! Thats my only BEEF! Everyhting else is super as you can tell from the pic below.

Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

RC poster
    Ray,

I still don't have a good temp read on it yet -a quick check after about a 5 minute run last night and the motor was at 98 degrees, but i didn't check the esc. I'm sure the the fact that it's frickin' cold outside here (about 20 degrees while I was running it around last night) has something to do with keeping the heat down. I'll get some heat numbers for you this weekend.

Mike

how is the top speed compared to stock erevo (30mph).
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray00Ray
    I am running the same set up in my off roader to pass the time while I wait on my Mamba Monster ESC replacement. Whats your temperatures like mrod? On 18/65 I get super hot! Even have to wait most times as the internal over heat system kicks in! Thats my only BEEF! Everyhting else is super as you can tell from the pic below.

Might wanna check that pinion/spur alignment. looks like only half is making contact

RC Competitor

new install

great review, i just installed mine last night with the 2.4 ghz radio that kershaw offers also, hooked up great i did change the deans to traxxas plugs but that was all the moding that i did. and the radio is nice as is was binded when i got it. i will have to get a y cable for the servos, there is only one channel 1 in the receiver. overall i amvery pleased with it so far especially for the money!!! PILEDRIVER

RC poster
    Hey guys glad to hear the review was helpful to a few folks. As for top speed, I haven't checked but it sure "feels" faster. Definitely a heck of a lot more torque than the stock motors so it gets to top speed with much more authority.

I checked my temps after a run today - the Xerun was about 80 degrees but the motor was at 160 after about a 7 minute run. I was surprised it got this hot considering it's about 25 degrees outside right now. I may go back to the 68 tooth spur and see how that changes things. With those temps I don't expect it to last very long but for $32 I'd say its still a good deal.

Have a good day guys!
    Mike

RC Competitor
    So Far I Hate The Kd Xerun 80a Setup. I Have It For 2 Weeks And All It Has Done Is Sit Up. I Cannot Get It To Setup With My Radio. When I Hold The Button And Turn On The Esc To Do The Setup Process To A New Radio, All It Does Is Beep 20 Times. And After The 20 Beeps Its Fast As ****. I Hope You Are Holding On To It.

RC Competitor
    i just emailed kd. lets see what happens.
    Last edited by 750boy76; 02-13-2010 at 09:42 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 750boy76
    So Far I Hate The Kd Xerun 80a Setup. I Have It For 2 Weeks And All It Has Done Is Sit Up. I Cannot Get It To Setup With My Radio. When I Hold The Button And Turn On The Esc To Do The Setup Process To A New Radio, All It Does Is Beep 20 Times. And After The 20 Beeps Its Fast As ****. I Hope You Are Holding On To It.
    I think you may be trying to setup incorrectly, I had the same problem with my EZrun the instructions are IMO a little goofy.

RC poster
    Hey guys found a new and kind of weird issue - I was using the set up with a Spektrum DX3.0 radio, and I realized I wasn't getting much run time out of the system. It was shutting down before the voltage hit the cutoff, and all of the LED's on the ESC were lit up with no throttle response at all. Then as I played with it more all I got was a massive amount of chatter with no throttle response. Just to see if it was the radio, I hooked up the stock AM traxxas radio and it worked perfectly. I think what was going on was some weird interaction between the throttle expo on the radio and the throttle curve on the ESC. My suggestion is if you're having similar issues or problems with setup, be sure you set up linear throttle and brake profiles on your transmitter before you do anything else and this may help.
    Last edited by mrob; 02-18-2010 at 01:15 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I haven't heard of anyone doing this but would you be able to run Venom 5000 7-Cell batteries with this or any BL system?

RC poster
    I have been running this set up in my converted revo for a couple of weeks now. Must say I'm impressed. Smother than MMM and the motor seems to have a lot more torque.

RC Champion
    Found this on a search looking for what size of connectors it uses... just bought one. Good info, thanks.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p