Thread: Radio Question

RC Competitor

Radio Question

I am looking to get the DX3E 3Ch DSM Surface Radio and have a couple of questions. I have never bought a radio that has not been included in a RTR kit. Does the Spektrum work with the Traxxas servo I have installed or do I have to use the supplied servo? Also does the SR300 DSM 3-channel receiver fit into the Rustlers waterproof receiver box?

Servo will work no problems.

I think the receiver will fit but have never installed one in the waterproof box so I am not positive.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    The Spektrum SR300 receiver dimensions are 1.60x1.06x.58 inches. I can't seem to find the dimensions of the waterproof receiver box. Can anyone take a quick measurement?

EDIT: I just found the dimensions on Tower Hobbies. Looks like it will fit!
    Last edited by 99dx; 02-11-2010 at 09:04 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The SR300 fits perfect. I have one installed in my stampede right now. The servo will work no problem, you may just need to trim a small tab of plastic off one side of the plug to get it to fit into the Spektrum receiver. I do this with a set of side cutters or lexan scissors or, a hobby knife. Make sure you get the positive and negative wires on the right side to when you plug it in.
    I love my spektrum DX3S. Extra RX's are a bit pricy but if you look around you can find them for $50. I wonder though, would the DX3E be better than the new Traxxas Link? The Link almost seems like a better radio in terms of features.
    Just a thought.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    I was looking at the Traxxas Link as well but my local shop doesn't stock it but they have the Spectrum in.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I think there will be a few of them up for sale on these forums very soon if you prefer the Link and can hold off for a little bit. Youll probably save $15-20 in the long run also. But if you prefer the Spektrum, do that instead.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Just got off the phone with my local guy. He said they've had better luck with the spectrum over the Traxxas radio's. Plus he said they offer better bang for your buck. I haven't compared features but it looks like the DX3E has the same features less one channel. The spectrum is also $20 cheaper.

Spectrum it is.

RC Enthusiast
    I run a dx3e in my slash, Love it, has super range and the reciever fits the reciever box perfect. Have no issues whatsoever. Much simpler and easer to use than the traxxas link.