RC Qualifier

Thumbs up JConcepts 4x4 Overtray Review

I just wanted to add how my overtray was working to give you guys an idea in case you thought of getting one.

This thing works great for any kind of debris! snow, gravel, dirt, etc don't stand a chance. Only a couple drops of water were in the chassis after running a full battery through LOTS of snow (the whole truck was caked, but the chassis was good). I have it velcroed with the supplied velcro (2 little strips), plus two little dots of velcro that I got from walmart for $2. Let me say, the velcro works great and has not come loose yet.

The material is a little thin, but it does the job and doesn't really take any hits when flipping since the body does that, so I'm not worried about it breaking.

Heat wise, this made my motor definitely run warmer than usual. The temps were about 30 degrees hotter than without the overtray after about 10 minutes. However, I don't have all the vent holes on the top open, so with those cut open and maybe a heatsink/fan temps may be better. If I'm just doing street runs I don't use it so I get more airflow.

Overall, great buy if you run in lots of mud and snow but make sure to check your temps and do appropriate measures to keep the heat down. If you have any questions post em!

Here's a few pics...

RC Competitor
    yeah i want to get one..i can only imagine how much it helps..thanks for the pics!!
    Brian
    slash 2wd
    slash 4x4 PE

RC Champion
    Thanks for the review... good info!
    [_] |||||||| [_]

RC Champion
    Anyone know if this guy works even with the MMM installed? I dont see why it wouldn't, I dont think that is much if any taller than the VXL esc.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Racer
    It would be fine with the MMM. It has a good bit of clearance between the overtray and electronics. I have all three upper vents cut out as well as the vent near the motor. I haven't run mine since i installed it, but plan to soon.
    VXL Amsoil 2WD Slash/ PE 4x4 Slash/ BL recoil

RC Champion
    wow i didnt see it in the 1st pic until i saw the rest and figured out it was still clear....looks good
    @ 80% for years?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by streetsports
    wow i didnt see it in the 1st pic until i saw the rest and figured out it was still clear....looks good
    lol, another point I forgot to mention... easiest thing to clean up ever! just rinse it off and it's good as new! Plus I like the clear unpainted look, that way I can see the esc light, plus I just like looking at all the goodies underneath.

Thanks for your comments guys. And ya, the MMM would definitely fit underneath it, plenty of room. Only issue is I'm wondering if a heatsink plus fan would fit under it for the Velineon motor. It looks like it would, but it might be tight which might not allow for very much airflow anyways.

RC Racer
    So right now the cover has no venting at all? It is sealed all the way around?
    I used to do that with my Old Emaxx's and shower caps. They would get toasty after 10 min or so...
    If it only raises temps by 30 degrees thats not too bad.
    Cant wait to get my fitted and vented and see what kind of temps I get with 3s. I am also going to drop down to 12T pinion and throw on some Bowties with split six's.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    CasGar Bashers UnInc.
    Est. '02
    a.k.a garcol

RC Qualifier
    Ya, I forgot to mention I only have 1 of the 3 vents on top open, the other 2 are still sealed, so that may be why I'm not reaching more than 30 degree difference. But if you do cut out all the vents it probably won't heat up too quickly. I am running on 3s with a 16 tooth pinion. Plus it's only mid 20's in temperature outside right now, so that helps.

RC Racer
    After you trim the overtray, it is open in the very rear..... correct?
    Matt

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mtucker
    After you trim the overtray, it is open in the very rear..... correct?
    Matt
    Yes, it is open only a little between the rear shocks. Not a very large hole though.

RC Qualifier
    Will it clear the TRX ESC fan?

What about cooling it looks pretty well sealed up??
    Slash 4X4 PLATINUM EDITION, Revo 3.3 Crawler

RC Qualifier
    I haven't tried the esc fan but I believe it would fit, there seems to be enough room just by eyeballing it.
    Like I mentioned earlier, it is pretty sealed and you will notice a heat increase unless you take measures to prevent it. Plus I only have 1 of the vent holes cut out, and there are 3 total on the top. I'm probably going to cut the other 2 out soon, and it should help a little.

RC Enthusiast

mmm fits fine

RC Racer
    I ordered one too; where are the vent holes located on this thing ?
    Which ones do you open up ?

RC Qualifier
    the vent holes are in the back of the 3 fins on the top of the overtray as you can kinda see in the pics. There is also 4 little inlets on each corner which you could cut out but I think stuff would easily get in those if you cut them out.

RC Competitor
    what about gluing waterproof fabric to seal the vents but still let cool air in the front and hot air out the back?

RC Competitor
    Will this work with the PE? the front and rear has sway bars and its hard to see how this will work with the over tray.

Thanks!

RC Competitor
    works great

RC Racer
    this thing is awesome, except i left way more room in there, i didnt trim the sides down at all and the top of the tray is level with the body posts also i have cut squares out on the sides by the wheel and put some screen in to keep rocks out, dust gets in but you get more cooling.
    my slash has been extremely easy to clean and maintain since adding this part i would strongly suggest it for no worries bashing
    4X4/sw.kit/rpm fr & rr/m.flaps/motor&esc kw club!

RC Champion
    Was thinking of cutting a few holes and putting screen into one , just to add air flow, Thanks for review

Al
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Racer
    I cut mine down to the lines and no room for the esc fan on mine. It lifts the overtray up a little allowing some dirt in.

Ordered a new one, Gonna cut it taller to allow for cooling.

I like your fabric idea, It does get VERY VERY HOT in there.
    You'll FRY your ESC if no fan.

Otherwise GET ONE!

RC poster
    I think I may have jumped the gun trimming mine too. My esc fan fits fine, but the temps of the esc and motor increased 20 degrees each. I have twin motor fan from integy coming and am sure it won't fit. I may do some cutting, even though it will open the top, It will protect better than nothing. I don't want to order another one I'm already in trouble with the wife for the amount I've spent so far!

RC Champion
    Seeing how this was dragged into the present from the past....
    I ran one of these very briefly.
    They work great at keeping the trash out and keeping the heat in. Cut out the vent holes and after a run the ESC and motor temps skyrocketed to the point that when you put your hand down to the vent holes you could feel the heat radiating out.

My reveiw
    If you want too keep it clean and cook you ESC and motor then go for it. Otherwise look into outwears.

RC Racer
    I agree with justinthyme. I had the cover. cut the 3 vents open and drilled several holes like 25 little ones about fans for motor and esc. Im still getting it 30 temps at least higher. Ive ordered a small computer fan to put on the inside just under vents to help get air in and out easier. I also used cut off wheel and cut 4 slots in front to allow are in while going forward and used screen mess material painted it green to match and hotglued it to the inside of cover so no rocks or grass can go in. just air and dust. If fan doesn't keep things cool im going to outerwear or dusty motor covers. just not worth the heat to lose mmp over it