RC Competitor

Rebuild of Velineon Brushless motor?

Hey all,

I've got a Rusty VXL on the way and have been doing as much research as I can. I've been outta RC for about 9 years.

I saw a Velineon motor rebuild kit and I was wondering how often this motor should be rebuilt or is it just an as needed thing? Anyone had to do this?

Thanks,

RC Qualifier
    You can either buy the rebuild kit from Traxxas for about $15,it comes with two bearings and several brass spacers or just buy two 5X11X5 bearings for around $3.I clean my motor about 4 times a year depending on how much I use it and change bearings every other cleaning.Just cheap insurance.Just noticed you are buying a new one so yours probably uses
    5X11X4 bearings instead

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by thaevilsmurf
    Hey all,

I've got a Rusty VXL on the way and have been doing as much research as I can. I've been outta RC for about 9 years.

I saw a Velineon motor rebuild kit and I was wondering how often this motor should be rebuilt or is it just an as needed thing? Anyone had to do this?

Thanks,
    you only need to rebuild it if the bearings fail, not too common.

Since 2001 RC has gotten much faster, especially with brushless (in case you didn't see the speed chart for the rustler).