RC poster

Question Question about fluid in the rear diff?

I decided to try and replicate Steve's setup on my new 4x4 PE. This is my first Traxxas vehicle and when I went to remove the grease and replace it with 5k diff fluid I was surprised that the diff isn't sealed. Is there a trick to getting this to work without leaking? I'm already seeing some leaking from around the left bearing. If you have successfully done this how full did you fill the case? The more fluid I add the faster it seems to leak out. I'm going to be rebuilding the front diff shortly to replace the 30k with some 10k is it a similar setup to the rear?

Thanks for the assistance...

The differentials are supposed to be sealed. Did you make sure to put the seals back in when you cleaned it up?

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC poster
    The rear diff on the Slash comes from the factory packed with grease and apparently is unsealed. Steve setup suggested removing the grease and using the diff fluid instead, but I wasn't sure if I was missing some step to help seal it. There were no gaskets or anything like that.

RC Qualifier
    Yes there is a gasket and two orings. I know because I have had mine apart.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by uberjeff
    I decided to try and replicate Steve's setup on my new 4x4 PE. This is my first Traxxas vehicle and when I went to remove the grease and replace it with 5k diff fluid I was surprised that the diff isn't sealed. Is there a trick to getting this to work without leaking? I'm already seeing some leaking from around the left bearing. If you have successfully done this how full did you fill the case? The more fluid I add the faster it seems to leak out. I'm going to be rebuilding the front diff shortly to replace the 30k with some 10k is it a similar setup to the rear?

Thanks for the assistance...
    i add a small amount of the red rtv sealant to the rubber o-rings before i put it all together for a better seal
    @ 80% for years?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD
    Yes there is a gasket and two orings. I know because I have had mine apart.
    Where is the gasket and o-rings around the out drive bearings? I took the bottom off it and had no gasket. We are talking about the rear diff right?

Take a look at the exploded view or on the drivetrain part of the Traxxas product page.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s