RC Racer

Thunder AC6...Mistake??

Ok, so I bought the Thunder AC6 charger. I also bought a Venom 2s 8000mah 20C LiPo from Tower Hobbies. Did I make a mistake in that the charger will not fully charge this battery up to 8000mah (8 amps)??
    "I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right but it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side." President Abraham Lincoln

RC Champion
    it should charge it full...just wont charge it at a 1c rate...
    @ 80% for years?

RC Champion
    was that your first charge?the battery should come at least half charged so that would be normal to take 4000 or 3000 mah the first charge, maybe 7800 the second or third.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessbandit
    was that your first charge?the battery should come at least half charged so that would be normal to take 4000 or 3000 mah the first charge, maybe 7800 the second or third.
    I'm sorry, that was my mistake, I didn't explain myself clearly. I haven't even charged the battery or plugged the charger in yet. I was wondering if the charger is capable of charging the battery to its full 8000mah due to the charger having a "Charge Current Rating: 1 - 5 amps""?

I'm new to Eeeeeeelectric. Been running Nitro for years with the Revo and just trying to catch up with the kids
    "I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right but it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side." President Abraham Lincoln

RC Qualifier
    it should. my ac-6 will charge a ******* 5800mah lipo fully. Now that's not 8000 but it's higher than 5000. So yea i think it'll work, just might be slower than with other chargers.
    Thunder SM, Predator SM, Slash 4x4, ERBE

RC Champion
    no it will be fine,
    the charge current is how much the charger can deliver at a time, the battery is how much it can hold.

to compare to nitro:
    charge current is like how much can you put into a tank at a time
    the battery capacity is like how big the tank is

to charge and balance your battery it will take ~1 1/2 hours
    (charges at 5 amp-hours charging an 8 amp-hour battery+balancing time)

RC Competitor
    Yes, it will charge your 8000mah, but it will just take a tad longer doing so. You can charge it at 5A btw.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessbandit
    no it will be fine,
    the charge current is how much the charger can deliver at a time, the battery is how much it can hold.

to compare to nitro:
    charge current is like how much can you put into a tank at a time
    the battery capacity is like how big the tank is

to charge and balance your battery it will take ~1 1/2 hours
    (charges at 5 amp-hours charging an 8 amp-hour battery+balancing time)
    You guys are insane!! BB, thank you very kindly for the layman's version - I can actually understand what you said

Guys, thank you!! I'm pumped to exit Nitro (for now of course) and enter the world of LiPo. My son tells me he'll smoke me. We'll see...

Some chargers have a limit as to how many mah it will put in a batter. An old SB 960 I used to use had a 3800 mah limit I think it was and my Hyperion EOS 0606I will only put in 6600 mah and then shuts down. IF your charger has this kind of limit the simple solution is to just start a second charge cycle to fully peak the battery.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    The charger:
    Turn it on, hit the red button until USER SET PROGRAM-> shows up, hit the green button
    Tap the yellow button until Capacity Cut-Off shows up
    Hit the green button, the on should flash, hit the yellow button so it says off
    Hit the green button twice so nothing is flashing and you will have shut off the capacity cut off so it will charge until it detects the battery has peaked. Hope this helps. Also you may want to adjust the Safety Timer from default 120 minutes up to about 150 or OFF other wise it will stop charging at 120 minutes which is more then enough to just charge the battery but I balance charge my batteries every time and it can take more than 120 minutes some times.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RByers8252
    The charger:
    Turn it on, hit the red button until USER SET PROGRAM-> shows up, hit the green button
    Tap the yellow button until Capacity Cut-Off shows up
    Hit the green button, the on should flash, hit the yellow button so it says off
    Hit the green button twice so nothing is flashing and you will have shut off the capacity cut off so it will charge until it detects the battery has peaked. Hope this helps. Also you may want to adjust the Safety Timer from default 120 minutes up to about 150 or OFF other wise it will stop charging at 120 minutes which is more then enough to just charge the battery but I balance charge my batteries every time and it can take more than 120 minutes some times.
    Good copy. Thanks!!

RC Champion
    No problem. Just bored and need to go to bed. lol. Hope it helps, if you need any other info on the charger just PM me and I'll usually get back to you within a hour depending on time of day.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now