Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 43

Thread: Lipo Batteries

  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    34

    Lipo Batteries

    I see a lot of you guys run the Turnegy lipos. Dont you think there is a reason why they are so cheap in price? I just dont believe a 5000 mah $20 lipo battery can last too long or perform very well. I know a lot of you say they are great, but really? Does it really matter? I am looking to buy a couple of lipos, and I like the price of those batteries, but do they really perform well? And if you have a turnegy battery, have you used a flight power or a max amps lipo? Is there a difference?

    Also, do you guys balance your 2 cell lipos? The guy at my LHS says you dont really need to balance a 2 cell, you can, but not that important as balancing a 3s or more.

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stockton, Ca.
    Posts
    928
    Dont you think there is a reason why they are so cheap in price?
    Their not cheap their priced as they should be, not paying big bucks for batteries anymore unless I notice a big difference.

    Here's my inexpensive ***** and my expensive Hyperion. No difference in performance that I can notice so far. Been using them for 6 months now. Been using them in my 2wd VXL Slash and now my 4wd Slash. I use 2s and 3s doesn't take any longer to balance charge so I just do

    Last edited by radicalray; 02-04-2010 at 12:29 AM.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    852
    Hossbog= The official poop stirrer of the Traxxas Forums.



    LOL, just kidding... there are a lot of people that have had great luck with them. I have had great luck with the SMCs and the Tenergys from All-battery.com..

    they are more $$ than the ******* brand but not "Maxgold" price..
    Three Summits

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    34
    How does that ***** fit in the 4x4?

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stockton, Ca.
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by Hossbog
    How does that ***** fit in the 4x4?
    It fits in the tray no mods needed no expansion kit needed

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Genoa , IL.
    Posts
    1,934
    *****'s are great batteries IMO and the best bang for the buck in R/C right now .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    63
    Where can I buy these?

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stockton, Ca.
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyrl1
    Where can I buy these?
    *****s ******* Rhinos can be bought at *********

    http://*********.com/*********/store...sp?cap=4&con=2

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rc Room
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by radicalray
    Their not cheap their priced as they should be, not paying big bucks for batteries anymore unless I notice a big difference.
    +1 well said Sir.
    I never did jump on the hyperion band wagon.

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Hossbog
    I see a lot of you guys run the Turnegy lipos. Dont you think there is a reason why they are so cheap in price? I just dont believe a 5000 mah $20 lipo battery can last too long or perform very well. I know a lot of you say they are great, but really? Does it really matter? I am looking to buy a couple of lipos, and I like the price of those batteries, but do they really perform well? And if you have a turnegy battery, have you used a flight power or a max amps lipo? Is there a difference?

    Also, do you guys balance your 2 cell lipos? The guy at my LHS says you dont really need to balance a 2 cell, you can, but not that important as balancing a 3s or more.
    do your self a favor and by a maxamps lipo with 3yr warranty.
    True 60c free 5-20% discount with membership!!!!!!!

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    886
    I went and got the SMC 6000 2s 28c from SPC. Not sure i made the right decision but ill live with it. Originally got a MA 3s 8000 25c for $190 but they sell them now for like 250 or more now days. Id say cant go wrong with SPC.
    Rustler VXL FLM-Pede VXL Slash PE

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stockton, Ca.
    Posts
    928
    Id say cant go wrong with SPC.
    +1 SPC ....For those who don't solder you can get it with Traxxas connector. Ships from here in the states, if you ever need service, you probably won't, easier to deal with. Price compares well with HK if your only getting 1 or 2 batteries.

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FLA
    Posts
    543


    I seem to have gone the opposite direction of most. $350 for truck + $275 for motor and ESC + $200 for radio gear + $30 for battery doesn't seem like a balanced equation to me. I only have two, but I don't anticipate needing or wanting anything else for a long time.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by Jato40


    I seem to have gone the opposite direction of most. $350 for truck + $275 for motor and ESC + $200 for radio gear + $30 for battery doesn't seem like a balanced equation to me. I only have two, but I don't anticipate needing or wanting anything else for a long time.
    thats a waste LOL
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,656
    Not at all. Definitely not a waste!
    When racing my 2WD Slash with a Novak 17.5 brushless, I use a 5200mAh/50C pack. Gotta love it!!!!
    Last edited by Jakey; 02-04-2010 at 03:35 PM.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FLA
    Posts
    543
    Beginning with the fact that this is a purely discretionary spending exercise, at what point does spending money on this hobby start becoming a "waste"? And my Thunder Power can kick the mah's out of your zippies any day!

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Escondido
    Posts
    324

    Lipo batteries

    I am a basher and I feel *****/******* batteries area great deal.I only have a dozen of them and no failures yet.Yes I am sure the hardcore racers are using something more expensive but is more expensive really better or is it just more money?

    Edited for Content
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-04-2010 at 08:47 PM.

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,237
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD
    Yes I am sure the hardcore racers are using something more expensive but is more expensive really better or is it just more money?

    Either more expensive is better or the racers of the world are stupid.That's not my call to make.

  19. #19
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Jato40
    Beginning with the fact that this is a purely discretionary spending exercise, at what point does spending money on this hobby start becoming a "waste"? And my Thunder Power can kick the mah's out of your zippies any day!
    Easy with the testosterone, guys. You can like one brand and not insult another.

  20. #20
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,251
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleSlasher
    thats a waste LOL
    Buying a top quality battery like the Thunder Power may be a waste in your eyes but to many experienced people it is worth every penny of the price tag. I dont always buy the best packs but I dont buy the cheapest packs either.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  21. #21
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    st. helens, Or
    Posts
    1,373
    ***** ftw...ive tried others...max amps is nice but waaaay over priced...and sometimes they like to puff over time...btw you would be amazed how many companies buy from over seas factories and slap there own sticker on it...kinda like paying $100,000 for a civic with bentley emblems isnt it?
    Last edited by streetsports; 02-04-2010 at 09:39 PM.
    @ 80% for years?

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,237
    Quote Originally Posted by streetsports
    kinda like paying $100,000 for a civic with bentley emblems isnt it?

    No.Actually it's like paying $10,000 for a Civic and trying to tell a crowd of Bentley owners that your Civic is just as good as their cars.

  23. #23
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fayetteville, N.C.
    Posts
    49
    I don't own lipo's (yet) but what I see a lot on here is the people that spend a lot of $ on what are considered to be the "high end" brands feel the need to defend themselves and there decision (or lack of price searching) to those who have decided to go the budget route. When I do buy my lipo's I am definitely getting the "budget" kind. All I do is bash anyway. The bottom line is it is my money and my budget. As long as I am happy with my purchase that is all that matters. At the same time I will only comment on what I have tried and seen with my own experiences. This is just my $.02 and I'm sure there will be some rebuttals.
    Don't talk about it, be about it! Rubbin's racin'.

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FLA
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by oifwarrior
    I don't own lipo's (yet) but what I see a lot on here is the people that spend a lot of $ on what are considered to be the "high end" brands feel the need to defend themselves and there decision (or lack of price searching) to those who have decided to go the budget route. When I do buy my lipo's I am definitely getting the "budget" kind. All I do is bash anyway. The bottom line is it is my money and my budget. As long as I am happy with my purchase that is all that matters. At the same time I will only comment on what I have tried and seen with my own experiences. This is just my $.02 and I'm sure there will be some rebuttals.
    Uhhmm, OK. The Hobby City web site isn't hard to find. You defend what you haven't done yet and I'll defend my "waste" of money.

    This thread needs to go to a happy resting place.

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Jato40
    Uhhmm, OK. The Hobby City web site isn't hard to find. You defend what you haven't done yet and I'll defend my "waste" of money.

    This thread needs to go to a happy resting place.

    Exactly.I am well aware of the HK and HC lipos.Yet I'll still continue to buy the "high end" packs.Actually I'm about to place a nice sized order of lipos in a week or so for the upcoming season.No doubt that if I were a full-time basher I would buy a pile of cheapo packs and be content.But that's not the case for me.

  26. #26
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fayetteville, N.C.
    Posts
    49
    Jato40, you put waste in quotation marks like I said it, but it was actually the opposite. I didn't say it was a waste for anybody. I'm just amused and amazed at why everybody cares so much about what other people are spending their money on. I just hope that everyone is happy with whatever they have, no matter how much they spent on it and that doesn't go for just lipo batteries.
    Don't talk about it, be about it! Rubbin's racin'.

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FLA
    Posts
    543
    oifwarrior, referring to Seattle's original post. And I agree that happiness and enjoyment are the keys.

  28. #28
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fayetteville, N.C.
    Posts
    49
    Roger that Jato40. Keep on truckin brother
    Don't talk about it, be about it! Rubbin's racin'.

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FLA
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by oifwarrior
    Roger that Jato40. Keep on truckin brother
    You know it!

    One thing I honestly will appreciate is the pricing pressure these cheap batteries are going to put on what I do buy.

  30. #30
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    st. helens, Or
    Posts
    1,373
    have any of the guys that think you need the $200 lipo's ever even tried a $40 hk lipo? because i have tried both and sorry to tell you you got ripped off but they are the same....

    Quote Originally Posted by harry697
    No.Actually it's like paying $10,000 for a Civic and trying to tell a crowd of Bentley owners that your Civic is just as good as their cars.

    or like a lambo and a civic lining up at the track and then the civic smokin the lambo?


    nobody likes to think there getting ripped of so i know how you guys feel
    @ 80% for years?

  31. #31
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Escondido
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Jato40
    You know it!

    One thing I honestly will appreciate is the pricing pressure these cheap batteries are going to put on what I do buy.
    I think substitute the word inexpensive in place of cheap is more appropiate

  32. #32
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,251
    Quote Originally Posted by streetsports
    have any of the guys that think you need the $200 lipo's ever even tried a $40 hk lipo? because i have tried both and sorry to tell you you got ripped off but they are the same....




    or like a lambo and a civic lining up at the track and then the civic smokin the lambo?


    nobody likes to think there getting ripped of so i know how you guys feel
    Like that would ever happen LOL
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FLA
    Posts
    543
    Calling them inexpensive is fair. I retract cheap. I think they are a viable option out of the many out there. Acting like you have earned a merit badge for buying them while simultaneously proving that anyone who doesn't has made a bad decision has made this thread useless.

  34. #34
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    3,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    Like that would ever happen LOL
    Anything is possible.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

  35. #35
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,237
    Quote Originally Posted by streetsports
    have any of the guys that think you need the $200 lipo's ever even tried a $40 hk lipo? because i have tried both and sorry to tell you you got ripped off but they are the same....




    or like a lambo and a civic lining up at the track and then the civic smokin the lambo?


    nobody likes to think there getting ripped of so i know how you guys feel

    I didn't really wanna go there but since I've been called out,yes I have tried various batteries in all price ranges.With that being said,you are flat out WRONG!Just stick to playing in your backyard and you'll be fine.

    Here is a question for you.Have you ever put yourself in a competitive situation where you would even notice the difference between your no-frills batteries and the good ones? I'm guessing no because if you did,you wouldn't be rambling off with these mindless comparisons.


    And as for a Civic beating any sort of real sports car,how much do you think you would have to sink into that Honda to make it happen? Until you decide to start thinking realistically,please refrain from posting this kind of absurd nonsense.Just keep it in the backyard.

  36. #36
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    st. helens, Or
    Posts
    1,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    Like that would ever happen LOL

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaSk6atfuHA

    this was just the 1st i came across...theres pages of em though


    Quote Originally Posted by harry697
    I didn't really wanna go there but since I've been called out,yes I have tried various batteries in all price ranges.With that being said,you are flat out WRONG!Just stick to playing in your backyard and you'll be fine.

    Here is a question for you.Have you ever put yourself in a competitive situation where you would even notice the difference between your no-frills batteries and the good ones? I'm guessing no because if you did,you wouldn't be rambling off with these mindless comparisons.


    And as for a Civic beating any sort of real sports car,how much do you think you would have to sink into that Honda to make it happen? Until you decide to start thinking realistically,please refrain from posting this kind of absurd nonsense.Just keep it in the backyard.

    i had the same attitude when i found out that i cpould have gotten my real car for 3k cheaper than i paid....just started making excuses and getting angry at anyone that brought it up....data loggers don't lie btw


    and i hate honda's but just to prove you are absurd....you could spend half the cost (maybe even as low as 1/4th) as much on the honda as you spent on the lambo and stomp the lambo....skinnies & slicks with a huge turbo ic and porting
    Last edited by streetsports; 02-06-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    @ 80% for years?

  37. #37
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,237
    Quote Originally Posted by streetsports
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaSk6atfuHA

    this was just the 1st i came across...theres pages of em though





    i had the same attitude when i found out that i cpould have gotten my real car for 3k cheaper than i paid....just started making excuses and getting angry at anyone that brought it up....data loggers don't lie btw


    and i hate honda's but just to prove you are absurd....you could spend half the cost (maybe even as low as 1/4th) as much on the honda as you spent on the lambo and stomp the lambo....skinnies & slicks with a huge turbo ic and porting

    You only wish you could get me angry,but arguing common sense just makes me laugh.

    Here you go again with this nonsense.Wow,you can make a Honda go fast in a 1/4 mile straight line for less than it costs to buy a real sports car.Congratulations,but what happens when you need to take a corner or go further than 1/4 mile?Exactly,you get smoked.Like I said,common sense.When you wanna start using it I'll start listening.Until then,keep it in the backyard and you'll be happy with your purchase.

    I honestly can't believe that you're using an anlogy like this. I guess you're sitting back waiting for all the European car makers to go bankrupt because you put a big turbo on your pizza delivery car.

  38. #38
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,237
    No need for any PM's streetshort.You've already proven that you don't get it and you're trying you hardest to steer the others wrong with confidnece.


    P.S. You don't realize who you're calling boy,BOY!

  39. #39
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,251
    streetsports with out knowing it you have proven my point. The Civic that beats a Lambo will undoubtedly have a high quality top notch power plant (ie the Thunder Power battery) it would never stand a chance with a stock or cheap power plant (ie a cheap low quality pack)
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  40. #40
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    185
    I have run few different lipo's in the past year. All my SMC packs balance out faster over the others and seemed to hold higher voltage after a 7 min. main. I recieved a 5200 50c smc pack last week and just slipped it in for my 2nd. qualifier, well the truck was very loose spinning the tires like never before i needed to make a change to the truck to calm it down. My son runs a smc sport pack in his truck and i slipped this 50c pack in when he went out to practice and was like dad somthing is wrong with the truck, so i know it wasn't just me....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •