RC Racer

Big bore shock refills???

I have tried several times to refill the big bores with new oil as a part of setting it up race but it seems like the bladders are just a tad to dig in diameter. Every time I finish filling the shock with oil seat the bladder over the shock body than try to screw the cap on, the cap doesn't want to go over the bladder. When I force it the bladder breaks its seal from shock body and the shock ends up leaking from the top. I have put thread tape on the shock bodies, but that isn't really solving my problem. I can tell the bladder is unseated when I push down on the shock a few times and it makes that "air in the shock" noise.

Anybody having this same problem??

Would love a tip on what to do with this..
    VXL Amsoil 2WD Slash/ PE 4x4 Slash/ BL recoil

RC Qualifier
    /you probaly have to much oil in it. Try useing a flat blade screw driver the puch the bladder on better and run your finger around the rim of the shock body to be sure it is set. (be careful not to puncture the bladder with the screw driver) And when you screw on the cap turn it till you feel it set on the threads and carefully screw it on, it's easy to break the bladders seal from the body when you screw on the cap, otherwise you should be good.

search on youtube, there's few good video that show how to refill shock oil.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Racer
    I know how to refill the shock properly, and the bladder is sealed correctly, but it is just a ***** to get the cap on without unsealing the bladder. Didn't know if there was a specific trick to these certain shocks or not.

RC Competitor
    On these shocks I found it best to replace the bladders with every oil change, the old ones seem to swell a little and are a pain to use again. Then install the bladder onto the shock body then install the cap. Shock rebuild kit is only around 3.00. I also suggest you by some green slime to lube the cap and the edge of the bladder so the cap goes right on. hope this helps.
    SLASH PE 4x4,LOSI 8E 2.0, LOSI 8TE 2.0

RC Champion
    I feel your pain on this. Once you get oil IN the bladder, you need to remove the bladder and clean out the oil and dry it. Itll never seal if you dont.

You want to put the bladder in the cap, not on the shock body. My bladders look swollen as well, but they still work. When I change the oil in my shocks, I remove the bladders and spray them with a shot of Nitro Cleaner, and let them dry while I fill the shocks. When you tighten them, just past where they stop is good. After a few tries fighting with mine (Im used to the simplicity of Losi shocks) I finally got em sealed.
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]

RC Competitor
    Ken, are you using the shocks off the 8ight buggy? If so what wt oil, springs and pistons you running. I have my buggy sitting for the winter so I can pop them off and give them a try. Let me know.

RC Champion
    IM using the big bores that come on the PE. If I change shocks out, they will be for XXXT shocks.
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]

RC Racer
    I love the looks of the new proline shocks but they are EXPENSIVE!

RC Competitor
    I think I am ordering 2 sets of the proline shocks on Monday for my 4x4 and 2wd Slashes.

RC Qualifier

Dude

I always put my baldder in the shock cap not on the body. Once its in the cap I thread plumbers tape on the threads of the shock body and screw it down to just about one fingernail width from completely tight. Never leaked when done this way for me. PS leave a little room for the baldder by not filling it completely.
    Last edited by noll1; 02-06-2010 at 05:47 PM.
    Rustler VXL FLM-Pede VXL Slash PE