RC Enthusiast

Excellent Customer Service

I just had the opportunity to call customer service for the first time. They were excellent! I've owned my slash for three weeks have bent both rear axles. The service representative was very helpful. They are sending me new axles and he assured me that they are working to develop hardened axles to correct the issue. I'll be happy when they release them, but for now I'm satisified with their actions.

RC Racer
    Yes they are great! I broke my esc on my 2wd and sent it in then got a brand new waterproof esc from them , free of charge. And the one I sent in wasn't waterproof.
    4x4 Slash
    3 2wd Slash
    3.3 T-max
    3.3 Revo

RC Champion
    When you got the new axles sent to you, did you have to send the old bent ones back to Traxxas... I was going to call them but after I called about my Lower Shock spring perch and got told " Hobby Shops have losts of them, have a nice day" I just thought it would be a waste to call about Axles. Besides, I just threw the old ones away and bought some 2wd weaker ones.

Should I call traxxas ?
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Qualifier
    You don't need to send the old ones in.
    Break it, so you can upgrade it!

RC Racer
    I'm glad you had a good experience with them Bean because my experiences with Traxxas were pretty much the opposite. I purchased a Rustler VXL last November and had nothing but problems driving on dirt and road surfaces. That thing broke literally every time I went out. Every time I contacted them by email or phone I got the brush off and was told that when I learn to drive the car it won't break as much. I was like what a load of poop. I then purchased a Slash 2wd for my daughter and a Slash 4x4 in December for myself. The Slash has several flaws that I noticed right out of the box. So much that I decided to put it on the shelf and wait for the aftermarket to catch up. The last email I sent to Traxxas was concerning a brand new set of Stampede wheels I purchased to put on my Rustler VXL that broke after 2 sessions. Granted, this was probably my fault because I was jumping the Rustler up a 12" ramp onto grass in the front yard and I should have known better then to think that a Traxxas could handle this sort of abuse. I sent emails to customer support at the advise of my LHS asking if they could replace the wheel and was told the same generic thing about sending the wheels/tires back to them and they would see if it was product defect or customer abuse. Come on now, a cracked wheel is a cracked wheel but whatever. I will say that the Slash 2WD with a 7-cell set to trainer mode that my 7 year old drives is holding up nicely.

I've since then purchased a Team Losi Aftershock LE and I have to say that I have nothing but good things to say about both the truck and the company. Complete night and day from what I experienced with Traxxas. I actually called their customer service on a Monday morning after purchasing the MT on the previous Saturday night because the box was missing one of the tools for the wheel lugs and glow plugs. While I was on the phone I mentioned that the string had pulled out of the pull starter on about the 5th pull. With no questions asked they asked my address and had a new pull starter and tool at my door in less then 24 hours!

RC Qualifier
    well,

I will be the first. You don't go to the White House and insult the president....

Dont come to a Traxxas forum and outright BASH Traxxas products.

What kind of flaws are so bad on your 4x4 that you have "shelf" it?

I understand that you have freedom of speech and this is the internet but wow! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but with that type of attitude on here I have to wonder what your attitude was like on the phone to cause customer service not to help you.......... I can understand them not helping...

with that being said I have two PE Slashes that get beat at the track and have only broken things because they were my fault other than the axles which they are working on....
    Three Summits

I bought my first Traxxas truck over two years ago and have only had the need to call tech support two times. Both times I had new parts sent to me which I received in a matter of a few short days. One time I did not even ask for parts but was simply asking when the parts would be available, all the hobby shops said they were back ordered. Traxxas said they just got them and since I had been inconvenienced they would send the parts directly to me. These parts were long out of warranty so Traxxas was in no way obligated to send me the parts but did anyway, and did so free of charge.

Far has I am concerned customer support does not get any better than what Traxxas has and if you dont get the result you are looking for from them you are doing something wrong.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by milkman
    ....I understand that you have freedom of speech and this is the internet but wow! ....
    Actually not true. These forums are monitored and owned by Traxxas and there are limits to what can be said (typed LOL). That particular phrase has been discussed before. No offense, just pointing that out.
    ------
    hmmm, I've never seen it spelled that way.

RC Qualifier
    then ban him!!!C'mon TRA do not take it!!!
    Three Summits

RC Champion
    they will replace faulty parts without a problem...but if they replaced all the parts that break from being mistreated they would go broke...its common sense
    @ 80% for years?

RC Racer
    Yes, that's a good idea. Ban someone from sharing their experience. It's one thing to say that Traxxas suck and you are wasting your money if you don't go with another company like HPI, Losi, or CEN. It's another thing entirely to simply share your experience with a company. And after purchasing 3 Traxxas trucks in a month I think I gave them ample chance to win my repeat business. The last email I ever received from them was someone asking for my phone number so they could call me. I replied with my cell......I've yet to receive a call. That was over a month ago. I understand the fanboys unite mentality. Trust me, having owned 3 Evo's I see it on the car forums all the time. But there's nothing wrong with stating an honest experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CICreations
    Yes, that's a good idea. Ban someone from sharing their experience. It's one thing to say that Traxxas suck and you are wasting your money if you don't go with another company like HPI, Losi, or CEN.
    Of those companies the only one that comes close to Traxxas has far as customer service is HPI. The sad part is their trucks need a lot of customer service from my experience. We've owned E Savages and a nitro Firestorm and both were in constant need of attention and part which were hard to come by.

It is too bad you have had a bad experience with Traxxas but there are so many people who rave about the great service from Traxxas I have to feel you have approached the problem in the wrong manner some how.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Traxxas has the best customer support of ANY company I have ever dealt with. Period.

RC Racer
    Believe me Dad I have been puzzled by my experience with Traxxas customer support as I have several coworkers with Slashes and Tmaxxes and they haven't had anything negative to say about traxxas. Granted broken parts is common and they aren't calling Traxxas for replacements rather just going to the hobby store. Not to mention any time I've mentioned something to the guys at the LHS they're always like "really? that doesn't sound like Traxxas?"

So Im left feeling like it has to be something I'm doing wrong. But I can tell you that every time I emailed them it was completely curtious and professional. I even sent them from my government work email address. In fact I saved copies of all of them with their responses from Traxxas. Shoot me an email address and I'll forward them to you.

I can not speak on HPI's products/service. I've only owned Traxxas and Team Losi at this point. I will say that the bad thing about Losi so far is local parts availability. Fortunately so far I haven't needed it.

Milk, within the 2 weeks I drove the 4x4 (probably 5 or 5 batteries worth) driving in loose sand and dirt I watched the driveshaft turn nearly completely silver. The shocktowwrs supporting the body posts are bent inward at an square angle making it difficult to get the
    body on. And the slipper clutch constantly comes loose, Which isn't a huge deal, just annoying. I basically "shelfed" it because I bought the MT, which I think is better suited for the desert terrain we are running trucks in up here, and I saw the posts building about broken parts being hard to replace at the moment because it is so new. It's still a very cool truck and I like it a lot. I'll also throw in that of the 4 trucks I've purchased, the Rustler VXL is still my favorite, but my personal experiences with customer support have forced me to look elsewhere for future purchases.

RC Champion
    Have you tried to give them a call? They have been excellent with me and I have never had a problem with them. I had 3 VXL-3s ESC's replaced before they redesigned it and have also got other warrantied parts without a question from them. I did ask about some Stampede wheels I bought that were out of round and they gave me advice on it as well. They have been great every time I called but I haven't ever e-mailed. Calling has seen the best results from what I have seen from others experiences.

RC Racer
    Have you ever registered your carstrucks with Traxxas? I know it shouldnt make a huge deal. But when they ask me my name and contact info, they go, oh yea, your in our system. Bam nice as can be.
    I know a friend that also has had problems, only difference is I register my cars and he doesnt.???
    P.S. I have always called them too.
    Last edited by CasGar bashers; 02-04-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    CasGar Bashers UnInc.
    Est. '02
    a.k.a garcol

RC Racer
    So today I called both Team Losi customer support as well as Traxxas customer support. I called Losi first because I have been having a problem with the servo saver applying the brakes slightly at full throtle making tuning difficult. After talking to me a few mins they told me they were just going to send me the servo and linkages from the LST XXL because the support guy said it is a better design (we'll see). I also told them that the pull/spin start broke when I forced the spin start with a dewalt cordless drill. They said they'd send another one out next day! Now this is my 2nd call to Losi support and so far they're 2 for 2.

Next I called Traxxas. I called to address 3 specific problems/concerns I have with the 4x4. 1st was the body mounting posts that look like they are leaning inward making it very difficult to put the body on the car. First thing he said was "that might happen if you've been flipping the car a lot." Now I have flipped the car a few times, but I nothing crazy. Then he suggested that I try heating the plastic with a hair dryer and bending it back, or I could look at getting a replacement. 2nd concern was the driveshaft that is being damaged from the opening in the front that allows sand and debris to enter the cavity. He told me this was normal. I askedif Traxxas was working toward a solution and he said not hat he knew of but that I could try electrical tape like some of the guys on the forums. The 3rd problem I have been having is keeping the slipper clutch from working loose. I tighten it down to spec and it keeps coming loose. I was told to tighten it more then the owners manual says. So at this point Im thinging I've just been told to use tape, a hair dryer, and to deviate from the manual. At this point I tell the support guy thanks for his time and have a good day and he tells me to hold for a second and comes back and says he can go ahead and send me replacement posts. So that's cool that Im going to get new posts that may at least help with the body holes lining up with the posts.

So anyway, that was my experience today with customer support. I will say that calling does seem to yeild more results then emailing. I guess I'll do the electrical tape mod on the driveshaft this weekend with a new shaft.

RC Racer
    So today I called both Team Losi customer support as well as Traxxas customer support. I called Losi first because I have been having a problem with the servo saver applying the brakes slightly at full throtle making tuning difficult. After talking to me a few mins they told me they were just going to send me the servo and linkages from the LST XXL because the support guy said it is a better design (we'll see). I also told them that the pull/spin start broke when I forced the spin start with a dewalt cordless drill. They said they'd send another one out next day! Now this is my 2nd call to Losi support and so far they're 2 for 2.

Next I called Traxxas. I called to address 3 specific problems/concerns I have with the 4x4. 1st was the body mounting posts that look like they are leaning inward making it very difficult to put the body on the car. First thing he said was "that might happen if you've been flipping the car a lot." Now I have flipped the car a few times, but I nothing crazy. Then he suggested that I try heating the plastic with a hair dryer and bending it back, or I could look at getting a replacement. 2nd concern was the driveshaft that is being damaged from the opening in the front that allows sand and debris to enter the cavity. He told me this was normal. I askedif Traxxas was working toward a solution and he said not hat he knew of but that I could try electrical tape like some of the guys on the forums. The 3rd problem I have been having is keeping the slipper clutch from working loose. I tighten it down to spec and it keeps coming loose. I was told to tighten it more then the owners manual says. So at this point Im thinging I've just been told to use tape, a hair dryer, and to deviate from the manual. At this point I tell the support guy thanks for his time and have a good day and he tells me to hold for a second and comes back and says he can go ahead and send me replacement posts. So that's cool that Im going to get new posts that may at least help with the body holes lining up with the posts.

So anyway, that was my experience today with customer support. I will say that calling does seem to yeild more results then emailing. I guess I'll do the electrical tape mod on the driveshaft this weekend with a new shaft.
    Dude, c'mon let's be realistic, let's work on our trucks and move on.
    "I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right but it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side." President Abraham Lincoln

Am I reading this right? You called tech support because you are having a hard time getting the body on and off, dirt is getting in your drive shat, and you need a new lock nut on your slipper clutch? Wow I am speechless.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    ^thanks for sharing with the class.

RC Champion
    If it's a known problem, and I mean a problem such as the bent axles, Traxxas will quickly acknowledge the issue and send you out parts. It may not be fun to have the post bent and the shaft scratched up but to them, that is part of running the truck and they will be less willing to just replace it for you then because there's no way to tell if it's a random defect or from abuse. If everyone was reporting the problem like with the axles, then they would address it and send out parts as they have been. They would lose money if they sent out parts for every call they got so from a business perspective, they can't just replace every little thing unless they have acknowledged it's a defect in the truck. Hope that makes sense. Losi sounds like they have good support too, which is great to see that others are stepping it up as well. I have contacted Horizon a few times on airplane issues before and they have been very helpful (although not that friendly at times) and they have also been not that great too. Companies are probably seeing a little more reward for their service as of late.

RC Racer
    Ok I gotta post in here because I've been on both sides of the coin with support.

First off - let me say this - and I said the same thing to Traxxas: My Traxxas vehicles are hands down the BEST R/C cars I've owned. Period. My 2 Slash 2x4 and Slash 4x4 are amazing and they take abuse that my other cars I / I've owned wont. (Losi / Duratrax / TA)

As I said before, I have two 2x4 Slashes, one 4x4 Slash, and one 1/16 scale VXL Slash.

Any time I had called on an issue with my 2x4's it was no problem. However, when I bought my 1/16 slash, there were issues out of the box AND to boot I had two chassis break within 2 drive hours of the unit being out of the box. The rear bumper was bent and the rear bulkhead had a screw hole stripped in the factory install - they sent me out replacement parts. Albeit they sent me Revo bumpers (doh)

When I called Traxxas, I will say I was not happy this vehicle; it had broke twice in 2 hours. I'd spent more time rebuilding it than driving it (if you've replaced a chassis on the 1/16 you'll know what I mean) and I felt that after dropping almost 300.00 on a vehicle, I shouldn't be seeing this. I am not a Pro driver, but I am also not a novice either.

When I got Traxxas on the phone, I really just wanted them to replace the car. Yeah - I know - they don't replace vehicles under normal circumstances. I didn't feel this was a normal circumstance. I am sure the Rep I worked with (who will remain anonymous) could tell I was frustrated and was trying to be helpful, but I was being being persistant about a replacement.

This is where I will fall in line with CICreations: After conversing about how the car broke, the rep made the statement "Well maybe it's the driver". That was the worst thing I think he could have said to me at that point. I'll man up when I'm bashing the heck out of a car, but I certainly wasn't in this situation.

Long story short, after we had a few words, Traxxas still completely repaired the car and sent it back. No Charge. It also has not broken once since the repair (around Thanksgiving). I am still convinced there were some issues with the vehicle out of the box causing the breaks (not the driver), especially since I've had zero issues since the repair.

After if was all said and done, about 2 weeks later I got a call from Traxxas making sure i was happy. I will say I appriciated this call - and I told the gentleman I spoke with that I was happy, I just wish that the original rep hadn't pulled the "Its the driver" card on me. He was very surprised that the said rep had done so also.

The moral of the long winded story? I've had good and bad experiences with all sorts of Tech Support compaines in the R/C world, including Traxxas. Even after this one experience, I am still convinced that Traxxas has some of the best support in the market.

Hopefully I didn't end up on some Traxxas support Black List due to my bull head call back in November!
    Last edited by IndianChief1000; 02-05-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Imperial Racing
    Slash 2wd/ 2wd Mod / 4x4

^thanks for sharing with the class.
    Re reading my post this morning it comes off much more insulting than I ever intended and I apologize for that. I do still feel the issues you called tech support about are so minor that I personally would not even consider calling a tech support line about them much less post and complain about it here.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    Re reading my post this morning it comes off much more insulting than I ever intended and I apologize for that. I do still feel the issues you called tech support about are so minor that I personally would not even consider calling a tech support line about them much less post and complain about it here.
    Dad, that comment was ment for the post by Marshall above yours. You must have posted yours while I was in the reply screen and got caught in the blast radius lol. Actually, you seem to be one of the more level headed members on the forums and certainly in this thread. My appologies actually go out to the OP for turning this thread into a whine-fest. I just wanted to voice my contrasting experience.

As far as the 3 problems I called Traxxas about with the Slash 4x4. Honestly the were the only 3 faults I have so far with the car. I would have rather complained about the Rustler VXL where I have replaced many, MANY parts but I've already spent the money so it's water under the bridge at this point. I only called them at the suggestion of some posters above and to get a fail back to back call with both customer support teams.