Thread: 12v chargers?

RC Enthusiast

12v chargers?

Can you safely use a automotive battery charger for a power supply on a 12v charger?

RC Champion
    i used a car battery til i had the money for a power supply and i use a battery for about 2 months and i some times hooked a car charger up to it to keep battery level up
    Last edited by scotthw; 02-02-2010 at 09:18 PM.
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Champion
    YES providing the battery has enough amps and volts to give up during the charge. A marine Deep Cycle "trolling" battery is a much better option as these are made for discharging and re-charging where a car battery is really made for starting and does not like to be discharged heavily and then recharged over many cycles.

Bob
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC Champion
    yes thats what i was using it was our old battery from our trolling motor

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 555nova
    Can you safely use a automotive battery charger for a power supply on a 12v charger?
    Not the charger by itself as the voltage would vary too much. I use a old car battery with the automotive charger hooked to it to keep the battery full. The battery acts as a buffer to voltage spikes.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan2010
    Not the charger by itself as the voltage would vary too much. I use a old car battery with the automotive charger hooked to it to keep the battery full. The battery acts as a buffer to voltage spikes.
    ya thats what i used to do

RC Qualifier
    two thumbs up on what cubsfan said.

Car battery chargers are not highly regulated in their electronics. It is also poorly rectified. A car battery as a filter is fine, but then again you could just charge up a car battery and use it by itself. There should be mor ethan enough ampere hours to keep your batts up for the entire weekend, as well as your friends as well.

Honestly, I converted a computer power supply (rated at 400 watts or higher) and you can convert it. It's power output is much more regulated.

I use the fan on the computer power supply to cool off my batts and I can hook up 3 chargers to it at one time (rated at 750 watts). Works like a gem.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    I guess I misread his post .... You can not use an automotive battery charger for a power supply unless you use a car battery in-between as a buffer or "filter" as Nitronaught said.

Get a real regulated power supply. This $9.99 supply is enough for most 5 amp 50 watt chargers http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=60W-12&cpc=SCH

Bob
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.