RC Champion

Traxxas, are you listening? Servo Saver request!

Please Please PLEASE make a high torque servo saver spring for the Slash like the Revo has the option for!!!

That is all
    kthxbye
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]

RC Enthusiast
    Yup, stock servo saver spring weak beyond belief. Then in the process of trying to add an additional washer to increase spring tension, it became apparent how weak the entire steering setup is in the 4x4 and how much slop it has once you've run it hard several times at the track. Hoping for a nice aluminum upgrade with new saver design in the near future. In the meantime, I fixed mine by simply glueing it together and replacing the spring with a solid peice of copper tubing, then just put the servo saver from my 2wd Slash directly on the servo for the 4x4. Old school servo saver still works best.

RC Champion
    Heres my "Im waiting for a better spring solution"

That was before I put in my HiTec servo, but same idea..

RC Competitor
    Hey Guy's, You can use the EMAXX black HD servo saver spring it fits right in, the Slash 4x4 uses the stardard EMAXX sliver spring. It is sold as a bellcrank kit part# 4945 and it was 12.00 of the kit. I don't think it is sold seperatly.
    SLASH PE 4x4,LOSI 8E 2.0, LOSI 8TE 2.0

RC Enthusiast
    Check Dynamite, I switched after having multiple issues with the stock one and haven't looked back

linky: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dynamite-Servo-S...30149016r10689

RC Champion
    I almost made a post a few days ago to say how I liked the steering set up. I guess I mainly bash though. Jumping around on all the snow drifts I noticed how the steering jumped around while hitting snow clumps. I was glad it was jumping around instead of breaking somthing. From a bashers standpoint, I'm happy with stock. I have broken nothing on the steering while bashing or at the track.
    ****** out Rustler
    Slash 4x4 gettin' close

RC Enthusiast
    From a track standpoint, the weak spring was a killer. Taking choppy sections at high speed and basically I would have little to no steering input because the chop would be bouncing the front wheels wherever they wanted. I followed Ken448's idea except that I also superglued the linkage together since the plastic washer that snaps on the keep the spring in place also seemed extremely weak to the point that a hard enough hit would just pop that plastic snap washer right off the top of the spring.

RC Racer
    No offence but I can't believe the lack of resorsfullness here..

That spring they use is no where near fully compressed when the saver is active.. So you can pre-load it quite a ways if you wanted.

To do that.. I took 2 of the narrow shock spacers. Cut the tab off then cut a few mm off the circle part . Then stuffed them it in the pocket where the spring sits. Then the trick is to get the spring retainer on, hold it while at the same time getting that bearing stuffed back in so it does not pop off.

IN anycase you could toss more spacers in then I did but that is how it's adjusted in anycase..

come on guys!!!!..

b./

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarrothers

That spring they use is no where near fully compressed when the saver is active.. So you can pre-load it quite a ways if you wanted.

To do that.. I took 2 of the narrow shock spacers. Cut the tab off then cut a few mm off the circle part . Then stuffed them it in the pocket where the spring sits. Then the trick is to get the spring retainer on, hold it while at the same time getting that bearing stuffed back in so it does not pop off.

IN anycase you could toss more spacers in then I did but that is how it's adjusted in anycase..

come on guys!!!!..
    b./
    I initially tried this with a washer which I fitted under the spring to increase tension...and it worked...that is until I took a hard landing off a jump and that little plastic spring retainer snapped right off the top. That plastic retainer is held on by nothing more than a bearing pressing against four plastic flanged tabs. As soon as the steering took a hard hit, those plastic retainer and flanged pieces didn't stand a chance with the increase spring tension to the level I wanted it at.

Once again, maybe its just me but after tearing that part of the car down it really appears that this new servo saver linkage system they designed is a weak point of the vehicle. When my servo saver was stock you could twist it around and see in the linkage how much the plastic flexes around. Just seemed very flimsy. Now I still have a little flex in the plastic steering linkage, but no longer near the flex in that stock servo saver section, and it steers much more solid on the track.

RC Qualifier
    I looked under the emaxx parts lists, all three of them for the old emaxx, the evx 2 version and the Emaxx BE. I cant find a black HD spring listed anywhere.

The 4945 is the included p/n/ system for the Emaxx according the the parts list. And according to all pics I have seen of it, it is silver. I am not sure if you the mean the spring is actually black or it has a black mark for the rating. I know in ALL Traxxas parts list the optional parts will be bold. The 4945 is NOT bold. So that means it is the stock spring. It seems on the old Emaxxes it used part number I think 4943. Is that the kit that has the weaker spring? Do the newer Emaxxes just have stronger springs than the olders.. I just want to be sure before I spend 12.00 on a spring. I like the idea of a mod that is bolt on.

Please provide a link to the spring you speak of. I am interested.

thx
    Last edited by milkman; 02-05-2010 at 10:27 PM.
    Three Summits

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarrothers

come on guys!!!!..

b./
    You know anything about linear springs? Thats right LINEAR meaning same tension much like preloading the shock on a linear rate spring.. It doesnt make the spring any stiffer. Got any more resources you are disappointed in?

RC Champion
    is that the kimbrough saver?...couldnt we just tighten the stocker all the way down and use that high torque kimbrough saver?

EDIT...i'm starting to see that theres no adjustment screw for it....thats just nuts for a race truck
    Last edited by streetsports; 02-05-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    @ 80% for years?

RC Champion
    stocker is not adjustable, and the Kimborough is stronger than stock

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by streetsports
    i'm starting to see that theres no adjustment screw for it....thats just nuts for a race truck
    Exactly what I thought when I first took mine apart. I expected an adjustment screw, then once I started taking a good look at it I started to ask myself, ***?

RC Competitor
    Hey Guy's, I got this info from Tim Roberts Traxxas racer/designer of Slash 4x4 It is the Traxxas part number #4945 I gave you, It comes as a complete kit with all of the Emaxx servo parts and it come with two springs, one silver that is the same as the Slash 4x4 one and the optional BLACK spring, if I was able to post a picture I would show you the package. In the instructions it says the OPT Black spring is only recomended for metal gear servos, I did not install the Black spring yet but I will this weekend and keep you guys updated. I also was going to see if the Alum. TMAXX steering posts can be used to replace the two plastic posts attached to the front skid, I was thinking of cutting the plastic ones off drill two counter sunk holes from the bottom and install the TMAXX ones. I will check into this over the weekend.
    SLASH PE 4x4,LOSI 8E 2.0, LOSI 8TE 2.0

RC Qualifier
    thanks jet,, that clears things up a bit....

That does not sound like a bad idea.
    Three Summits

RC Champion
    certainly good news. Thanks Jet

RC Racer
    Ken...

Linear spring? are you kidding me... You say that if this spring is completely compressed it is not exerting any more force then if I just compress it half way>? sorry dude that is not the way the world works..

increasing Preload moves the initial point (on a graph of a springs force) where the force would begin. From there a spring can be linear or not depending on its makup. But this being a more linear sping this would put you in the stiffer range of the spring on the graph...

If it didn't put any more force then people would not be blowing out the retainer clips. Although I suspect that guys washer was so big he over compressed..

b.

RC Champion
    sorry someone pee'd in your cheerios this (or every) morning. With that attitude, I wish there was an ignore button here. You are a top candidate. You must make your mom proud. I am so glad you think you are the smartest, most creative guy/boy here. Goodie goodie gumdrops for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! So, in short, Jet was kind enough to answer the question (THANKS!!), no need for any more of your ramblings here, they will be ignored.

kthxbye

RC Champion
    Actually, you click on their username and then you have an option to ignore, just so you know.

RC Champion
    Well super.. The option is not there, but if you click the proper links, it comes up! Thanks hfb!