RC poster

Wondering about all the Mamba Monster guys

First of all let me say I am NOT trying to bash or hate on anyone... However, I am curious about all you guys slapping the Mamba Monster systems in the 4x4. With the price of the Slash 4x4 (RTR or PE) and then the MMM system and 3-6S Lipos, why not just grab a VE8, Vorza or 8ight E? It seems the VE8 and Vorza are less money (or the same) and it is a "true" buggy (lets not get into what is and is not a buggy here though since I am also swapping my PE into a Backslash- hold that argument for one of the other threads). Like I said, not trying to hate just curious as to why guys are going the Mamba Monster Slash instead of one of the mentioned buggies....

RC Qualifier
    I'm a basher. The 4x4 Monster set up has crazy power and satisfies my need for grins instantly. Could care less whether or not its considered a buggy. It has held up well so far. All of my hobby-grade RCs have been Traxxas and for me this was a natural evolution. When parts finally ship, my LHS will be stocking them heavily. Not the case for Losi, HPI or Associated.

RC Competitor
    i went this way cuz I have and old 2WD slash and always wanted a 4X4 version with a Big motor

RC Champion
    Went with MT conversion and switched to the monster solely to control heat. I can bash all day and night without any heat issues. Oh yeah, there is always the cool factor! Who doesn't want a BIG BLOCK hot rod?
    BTW for bashing only
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin11b
    First of all let me say I am NOT trying to bash or hate on anyone... However, I am curious about all you guys slapping the Mamba Monster systems in the 4x4. With the price of the Slash 4x4 (RTR or PE) and then the MMM system and 3-6S Lipos, why not just grab a VE8, Vorza or 8ight E? It seems the VE8 and Vorza are less money (or the same) and it is a "true" buggy (lets not get into what is and is not a buggy here though since I am also swapping my PE into a Backslash- hold that argument for one of the other threads). Like I said, not trying to hate just curious as to why guys are going the Mamba Monster Slash instead of one of the mentioned buggies....
    I dont know about others but for me it was a cheap project.

I paid $329 shipped for the RTR from tower

Sold the radio, vxl, wheels/tires, body, and battery for a grand total of $295 then I paid $35 to ship it all. So all told I have about $70 in the rolling chassis. Already had the MMM, already had a DX3S. Basically I will have a 4x4 stampede with brand new wheels and tires, body, and chassis for less than $200.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC poster

Clarification

Ok, I guess I should have asked what the advantages/attractions are to a MMM 4x4 Slash as opposed to an electric 1/8th buggy. Since everyone likes to compared the 4x4 Slash to the electic 1/8th buggies (and argue about how they are and are not similar) what was it that decided it for you guys to go with the MMM and Slash 4x4 instead of the electric 18th buggy? Just curious.

RC Qualifier
    Cause If I wanted one, I would have bought one...

I wanted a Corr truck, I put a MMM/2650 in it for reliability. I didn't put it in for speed and power. I put more than what was needed so it never overheats.

Now my truck is more versatile, more reliable & more sure footed(weight).

I can buy any buggy I wanted. The MMM just made my PE better.

I don't think people are doing it to be a "wanna be". I think a lot of people are doing it more for reliability or just because they can!
    Three Summits

RC Qualifier
    After selling my the Velineon and ESC to my LHS I paid $525 For my 2200kv MMM 4x4 Slash. Just the computer programing alone is worth it, and the 4 5 and 6S Capability you can reach plastic melting speeds.
    You're not too old if you're still having fun!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin11b
    For me, I sold all the electronics and made back $225 on my RTR. I had an 8E that I could not race because my local track doesn't support 1/8 electric. So I sold that as a roller and put the MMM 2200 system in the Slash 4x4. Running a low KV system on a high cell count, like 4S, and turning down the throttle trim will yield looong run times. I was getting 40 minutes on 1 4S 5000mah 20C pack on an 1/8 scale track. How could you not appreciate that? I didn't do it for speed runs, and I dont bash.

I have since pulled the MMM motor and I'm now running a Neu 2D motor. Its still an 1/8 scale motor but it about 1/3 shorter. Its 3300kv on 2S and I can clear the triple from 5 feet out

I had a buggy, and sold it. I wanted a truck. If I wanted a buggy with an SCT body I would of got an OFNA.............I my 4X4 Slash!!
    Last edited by rlopez; 02-06-2010 at 11:11 AM.

RC Champion
    1 slash = $369 - $100 by selling the Vileneon=$269 +$300(mmm settup) =$569 +$40 lipo (if you dont already have one) =$609 ...isnt the cost of the losi roller without any electronics about the same?....then factor in a nice servo, 2.4 radio, esc and motor....yer sitting at well over $1,000 for the losi
    Last edited by streetsports; 02-06-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    @ 80% for years?

RC Qualifier
    I don't know if the question about the Losi Roller was directed towards me but since I planned on racing the 8E, which never came to be, I already had all the 1/8 equipment that I transferred to the Slash. So it didn't cost me any more out of pocket
    to do so.

I sold:
    VXL ESC-$70
    VXL motor$60
    Transmitter and receiver$70
    Battery$20
    Sold my 8E roller for$200. I bought it as a nitro roller $160

Since were comparing how much it cost me to convert it with 1/8 equipment, it didn't cost me anything out of pocket since I already possessed the equipment. From my 8E I had, the MMM 2200KV system, 2-Turnugy 4S 5Kmah LiPos, 2-Reedy 5Kmah 20C LiPos, and 1 ********* 3S 20C 5K LiPo.

Would I of put all the money in to my 4x4 to convert it to 1/8 scale equipment had I not been in possession, NO!.