RC Qualifier

Won New Tires from Big Squid!

I won a set of these sweet new Duratrax shoes from Big Squid. I'm gonna post a few pics now, and a review tomorrow morning...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Blaster75; 09-29-2013 at 09:37 PM.

RC Champion
    THAT, my friend, looks like one fun rc - Thread link? Congrats on your win

(Insert Obama voice) If I had a slash basher, it would look like blaster75

RC Qualifier
    Epitome of sweet. I hope they perform as well as they look. I'm thinking of getting a set.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefixxer73 View Post
    Epitome of sweet. I hope they perform as well as they look. I'm thinking of getting a set.
    Hey man, pm me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Those look nice in a Trencher kind of way.

I totally dig the while lettering.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    OK, partial review time! Only got to burn half a pack before I tossed another axle yesterday. It's way past time to pick something stronger than 4x4 axles.

First, the wheels. These are stiff, strong, and have better detailing than any other plastic one-piece wheel I have seen. The plastic does not have that waxy feel that other wheels have- these seem to be almost a reinforced plastic. Those aren't little chrome dots, but actual screw heads. If I can get these separately, they will be my choice from here. Nicer than Traxxas, PL, and JConcepts, and way better looking.

The tires. The foams feel soft on the bench, and the rubber is a little shiny. Made me a little nervous. The assembled weight is about that of my Badlands- very light. They are about the same height as stock Talons- much shorter than JC Subcultures or Badlands, and way smaller than Trenchers (lighter too). The tires are wider than anything other than Trenchers. On the dead weeds, dirt patches, and tufty short grass of my front yard, they have forward traction like Badlands, without excessive side bite. More forward bite than Subcultures or Trenchers, too. Actually, the performance as a bashing tire is excellent- the truck does not have the heavy feel that Trenchers give it, and isn't as rollover prone as it is with Badlands or Subcultures. On the concrete, the harder compound lets them spin pretty hard- wheelies were not likely. On the grass and dirt, even with a loose slipper, rooster tails and wheelies galore. I like 'em a lot. The size and weight is perfect, the traction is exactly right for a high-cg basher, even the width gives you more wheel protection than other tires. It's like Trenchers without the too-big sizing.

I would buy these tires. They seem to be a great all-around basher tire. On a track, they would be horrid (hard compound, huge tread blocks), but for everything else, I think that they are ideal. I am in love with the wheels, and, by not going huge on the sizing, Duratrax has shoes that let us have athletic feeling monster bashers. I do wish that they had closed cell foams, and maybe a slightly softer compound, but I don't think that the performance as a bashing tire is negatively effected by this. They also look absurdly good with the white letters. 9.5/10, so far.

Once my junk is fixed again, I'll put up some more thoughts. And Oaks, no build thread- this beater has been a work in progress. I am slowly figuring out which aftermarket parts have the best durability. The only Traxxas parts on the rig are the Slash chassis and 4x4 axles, and the axles are getting an eviction notice as soon as I make up my mind.

RC Qualifier
    I might have to get a set of those tires. They look great!!!

RC Qualifier
    The contest is still going on...

RC Qualifier
    Think I missed it,lol.

RC Champion
    Nice looking tires. I have a set of the six packs sitting in my cart for my sl4sh MT build
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Its strange, but they look almost the same size as trenchers? You dont happen to have a trencher to do a side x side pic do you?
    They look incredible. I did not notice any mention of ballooning. How are they in that dept?
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    I don't have a set of Trenchers here, but these are a little taller than Talons (maybe 3/16") and as wide as Trenchers. Trenchers are HUGE in comparison. I tried a set over the summer and really didn't like how heavy they made the truck feel. These feel light and "whippy" like Badlands.

I'll get a few side x side pics with Subcultures and Badlands, and some Trenchers (if I can borrow a set), over the next couple of days. The first few weeks of the month are a lot less busy than the last!

As for ballooning, I broke the axle before I could do any speed runs. They were ballooning when the truck would diff out in the yard, no more or less than any other tire. I run 50k in a HR sealed diff. The Subcultures balloon at speed, I'm expecting the same out of these guys. My Badlands get like 7" tall at speed!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by guskirc View Post
    Hey man, pm me
    Can't...you have your settings configured to not be able to receive PM's..I tried several times.

BOT.....Too bad Proline doesn't also do the white lettering on Trenchers. Did those come glued up or did you have to put em on your own rims?

EDIT: sorry, fully read your review. That's cool they came with the rims too. Just signed up at BigSquid to get in on the action.
    Last edited by Thefixxer73; 10-01-2013 at 11:32 AM.

RC Qualifier
    After burning a few more packs, here's a little more. These tires balloon pretty good on the street. I've never radared my rig, but I'm guessing 45+ mph or so, and these things stand right up, enough to be pretty unstable at speed. Treadwear is very, very good, almost barely noticeable so far. As the glaze gets knocked off of the tread, you can actually feel the rubber compound, which isn't as hard as I first thought, and traction is improving. The glue job is superb- haven't had to do any touchup, so it's better than my glue jobs! The white letters are more durable than the white letters on Traxxas BFGs. Glad about that. I'm stil giving these tires 9.5/10 as general bash tires. Better foams would make it a perfect 10.

RC Qualifier
    Good review man, still debating on whether I want to try a set.