RC Qualifier

Question New 2.4GHz = No Torque

I used the "Power Up" option tonight at the LHS and upgraded to the 2.4GHz (#2207) radio system.

Installed it into my 1/16th brushed Slash, put new batteries into the transmitter, fresh pack into the Slash and turned things on. Everything works with the exception of no torque at all...and I mean none. I can punch the throttle and it'll move forward, slowly, then after a couple seconds and 6-10 feet it suddenly gets back some torque and takes off.

I've gone over the instruction sheet several times and reprogrammed the throttle endpoints. As I'm sitting here typing this I realize the only thing I didn't try was to re-bind the system. Of course it states it was done at the factory and I assumed I didn't need to do it.

Any help would be most greatly appreciated and in the mean time, I'm going to go try re-binding and see what happens.

Thanks in advance!

RC Qualifier
    Well I did the re-bind which made no difference at all. As I was testing it the problem actually became much worse very quickly....to the point where I have absolutely no throttle at all now.

I pulled the cover off the transmitter, unplugged the ESC and plugged it back in. I'm at a loss here. Steering works fine still, just no throttle. I reprogrammed the throttle endpoints again, did the re-bind a second time and nothing at all.

RC Champion
    Have you reprogrammed the ESC? You should alway reprogram the ESC to the new radio.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    Hmmmm....no, actually I never gave that any thought but I will go try it right now with fingers crossed! Back shortly....

RC Qualifier
    Sadly enough, that didn't work either. Still have absolutely no throttle at all. Appreciate the idea though.

RC Racer
    it could be the motor
    try an other radio system if you have one
    Tekin RS+13.5=FAST

I guess you don't have another radio anywhere you could try? Just to assure it wasn't the ESC or motor doing it. Are the lights changing on the esc denoting throttle response? Is anything getting warm? Also it could be a really messed up EXP setting if there is one, that would cause a "dead spot" followed by sudden high throttle.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    I guess I could start pulling my daughters Slash apart just to confirm its not the motor or ESC...but these trucks are only a month old and she's only with me every other weekend....so, we've only used them 8-10 times now. Practically brand new and it worked just fine after the last run.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by streetdemon
    I guess you don't have another radio anywhere you could try? Just to assure it wasn't the ESC or motor doing it. Are the lights changing on the esc denoting throttle response? Is anything getting warm? Also it could be a really messed up EXP setting if there is one, that would cause a "dead spot" followed by sudden high throttle.
    Lights are changing on the ESC. Nothing getting warm at all. As for throttle, its completely gone. Started with no torque but now its simply dead.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Folshen
    Lights are changing on the ESC. Nothing getting warm at all. As for throttle, its completely gone. Started with no torque but now its simply dead.

Well if the lights are changing on the esc from the throttle response, that says that the receiver is getting the signal as is the esc.

Sounds like the motor to me?? Specially being the brushed motor. Try taping on the endball of the motor with a screwdriver handle a little bit and see if she runs. Could be your brushes are either stuck or fried? You could also just run the motor direct off the battery to test it.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear
    Well if the lights are changing on the esc from the throttle response, that says that the receiver is getting the signal as is the esc.

Sounds like the motor to me?? Specially being the brushed motor. Try taping on the endball of the motor with a screwdriver handle a little bit and see if she runs. Could be your brushes are either stuck or fried? You could also just run the motor direct off the battery to test it.
    Dave I think you might have just saved our weekend! Did as you said and the motor did spit and sputter a bit. Tapped on it some more and dropped in a little 3-in-1 and got it to run for a couple minutes before it flamed out again.

Must be the motor...though again, we got these for Christmas and only run 'em when my daughter is here being every other weekend. For what little run time they have I'm very surprised to have a motor failure.

Anyhow, the LHS has them in stock so perhaps we'll go ahead and load up our gear and head that way. Most greatly appreciate all the help and I'll let ya know for sure how it all turns out!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Folshen
    Dave I think you might have just saved our weekend! Did as you said and the motor did spit and sputter a bit. Tapped on it some more and dropped in a little 3-in-1 and got it to run for a couple minutes before it flamed out again.

Must be the motor...though again, we got these for Christmas and only run 'em when my daughter is here being every other weekend. For what little run time they have I'm very surprised to have a motor failure.

Anyhow, the LHS has them in stock so perhaps we'll go ahead and load up our gear and head that way. Most greatly appreciate all the help and I'll let ya know for sure how it all turns out!

Great to hear!
    Yeah the titans (well at least on the 1/10th) have been known to either be good or at times fail early. I had a brushed 1/16th Slash and had no probs with the motor what so ever...on the other hand my buddies 1/16th Slash was about 2 weeks old with 2 battery's ran through it and the motor puked.

He got a free replacement from Traxxas....so even though the cost of a new one isn't killer,I'd still contact Traxxas...they have EXCELLENT customer support.

Have fun with your daughter.

Dave

RC Qualifier
    Once again Dave, I owe you a BIG thanks! Picked up a new motor and she's back up and running again. I might just see what Traxxas says on the old motor too.

Daughter and I are now planning on hitting the LHS for some track practice tomorrow as opposed to waiting for Traxxas Customer Support on Monday. That definitely brightens the weekend.

RC Racer
    My 550 T12 Craped Out After 12 Runs Geared Stock I Call Traxxas They Are Sending Me A New Motor And A 16 Tooth Pinon They Said It Was Geared To High For Runing In Grass Even With There Stock Setup I Asked Why They Sell With That Gearing Then And Say You Can Go Off Road And They Gave Me The Run A Round.....but Call Them I Bought Mine Dec. 16 And There Still Going To Send Me A New One........

RC Qualifier
    Sounds fair to me as I bought ours on December 18th and even though the motor was only $20 I don't really feel that I should have to foot the bill. Well, I already did...but it would be nice to have a spare motor waiting for the next time. I will definitely give them a call on Monday.

RC Racer
    I Was At The Track When Mine Craped Out I Had To Buy A Use One For $15.00 Just So I Could Still Run...

WHERE DO YOU GET A MOTOR FOR $20.00?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DTRAX
    WHERE DO YOU GET A MOTOR FOR $20.00?

Pretty much anywhere...for less then $20.00 Out of stock at Tower.....But my LHS has them for like $16.00 or something (this is the Titan 380)
    Last edited by dave00bear; 01-30-2010 at 02:41 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah it was the original stock replacement at the LHS for $18.99 but you can find them cheaper on the web....especially eBay.