RC Competitor

added a custom light bar to my slash 4x4

Hey guys yesterday I had an idea to add a light bar to my slash for when i go to the dunes and want to do some night time riding. Me and my freind went to radio shack and spend 14 bucks on all the parts needed and i still have 2 leds left for whatever i want. each led is 3.3 volts and put out 7000mcd which i thought was pretty sweet so i wired up 3 sets of series and then paralleled them together.

final result. i know its no where near perfect but its good enough for me. very sturdy and when i wanna do some real bashing it detaches very easy.

the pic where it shows all the leds on looks sorta strange because one of the leds is almost blue and the last doesnt look bright but its just the angle.

Ill get a video of it soon enough

lemmme know what you think.

thanks

RC Qualifier
    SICK!
    (10 char)
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I'm down with the sickness too!
    Ohhhh Crap~

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PAINTBALLER1332
    Hey guys yesterday I had an idea to add a light bar to my slash for when i go to the dunes and want to do some night time riding. Me and my freind went to radio shack and spend 14 bucks on all the parts needed and i still have 2 leds left for whatever i want. each led is 3.3 volts and put out 7000mcd which i thought was pretty sweet so i wired up 3 sets of series and then paralleled them together.

final result. i know its no where near perfect but its good enough for me. very sturdy and when i wanna do some real bashing it detaches very easy.

the pic where it shows all the leds on looks sorta strange because one of the leds is almost blue and the last doesnt look bright but its just the angle.

Ill get a video of it soon enough

lemmme know what you think.

thanks

Where do you get lights like that?
    Stock Slash 4x4
    Summit MMM

RC Champion
    That's cool.. I just added lights to two of my SC's as well...

I love you MAN! Need a hug?

RC Competitor
    i got them at radio shack.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3060980'
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062559

thanks for the comments

RC Competitor
    8ight your setup looks more professional. i like it

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by PAINTBALLER1332
    8ight your setup looks more professional. i like it

Thanks.. ya they work great jumped right off the power on the rx.. both are powered that way, just one is mounted in the RPM light kit and one is right in the lid with a stealthy stock look.

RC Enthusiast
    Looks good, about the same I'll be building when my slash comes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Paintballer, is that a 9v battery to power the lights?

Why not just run off the fan lead on the VXL, or power from the rx?

RC Competitor
    well I only made this light bar for certain occasions so I didnt really want to take a wire and run it all the way to the RX because once i wanted to take the light bar off id have to also open up the RX box, but who knows sometime this week i may make a special lead that will connect to the RX and have connections on the other end so it will be a quick release.

this light bar is not going to stay on permanently.. just when i want to show off or drive in the dark (very rarely)

oh and its not a 9v battery. its one of my saddle pack 3s lipos.

RC Competitor
    decided to go with what ducati said and i ran some leads to the fan..

just want to be sure that this wont cause the ESC to burn up or anything right?

the leds should be pulling about 6.6 volts and 60ma

anyone know why the leds in the middle are dimmer than others? could this possibly mean that they are about to burn out? there were a few times i connected the leds to higher voltages just to see what it could handle.. 1 of the leds actually did burn up. so are the middle leds close to the end of their life or is it just how i wired them up?

thanks

RC Champion
    Why not just run them all in series? Maybe you have something on the led, glue? hindering performance?

RC Racer
    Do you use a serie resistor to the leds?

I wired my 6 leds in parallell and connected them to the receiver via a 20ohm resistor
    2x 39ohm 0.25W in parallell gives correct power rating and current limit.

RC Champion
    Start checking voltage around the weak lights, compare to strong lights? or do it the right way like the post above mentioned.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by markusb
    Do you use a serie resistor to the leds?

I wired my 6 leds in parallell and connected them to the receiver via a 20ohm resistor
    2x 39ohm 0.25W in parallell gives correct power rating and current limit.
    the 6 leds you used, what voltage does each require to run?

i could have them them all in parallel, but at the time planned on running it with a 7.2v battery.. so series made sense.. i may change it now that i changed my original plan.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ight-e
    Why not just run them all in series? Maybe you have something on the led, glue? hindering performance?
    if i ran them all in series then it would have required 19.8 volts to power them. 3.3v each with 6 leds..

also i checked to see if anything was hindering their brightness but there was nothing to be found.

RC Racer
    Vf on my leds is approx 3.5V
    Running on 7.2V in series is not good, to small voltagedrop over the resistor (0.2V). Keep in mind the voltage drops in the pack constantly.
    Vresistor is to small (in relation to Vled) with the varying Vbatt to keep the current anyway near "constant".. Better go with parallell leds and drop the remaining voltage over the resistor, brightness will be more stable over time as batt discharge.

Also, with all parallell leds you eliminate the need for extra battery, just steal current from the receiver. It really wont affect runtime, at least you wont notice any difference.
    I run 6 leds in the back and 6 leds in the front. I draw ~180mA constant.

With a 5000mAh lipo pack you can run the leds for 27.7 hours
    If you can run the slash for say 30mins on that pack, then the current to the leds will shorten runtime by ~30 seconds. No big deal and you save some weight by removing the need for extra battery.

RC Qualifier
    dude that is sick