RC Racer

Race Mods to my PE

Ok I got my PE back in late December and I have had it on the track several times and I wanted to share my observations. I ran it in the stock configuration to get a feeling for how it runs. After bending a couple of rear axles I decided to make some changes. Regarding the stock springs, they are progressive but the transition between the soft and stiff parts seemed too abrupt. I prefer a more linear feel so at first I looked at adding Losi 1/8 buggy shocks, but then decided to try the stock big bores with some different springs. I am using Losi 2.5" blue in the rear with about 8mm of spacers. In front I tried the 2" blue Losi springs but they felt too soft, and the stiffer black springs are out-of-stock so I replaced them with Losi 2.5" green springs with no spacers. I moved the top mount in one hole for a more progressive setup. I changed out the stock oil and went slightly heavier all the way around (55wt in front and 45wt in the rear). I changed out the grease in the rear diff with silicone diff oil (2K) and changed the front diff oil to 15K. I am running the 100K oil in the center diff for now. The steering felt a little sluggish (for me) so I added a faster JR z9001S servo with 0.06 sec speed and 180oz of torque. Added the heavier black sway bars. I come from a 1/8 scale buggies/truggies background so I prefer a slightly heavier weight which feels more planted/stable to me and lots of torque so I went with a heavier Neu 1509 1.5Y motor and 17/54 gearing. Pro-line Split-Six wheels and M2 BowTie tires.

Losi 2.5" green springs on the front, no spacers.

Losi 2.5" blue in the rear, 8mm spacers.

JR Z9001S servo

TeknoNeu 1509 1.5Y 2400kv motor.
    Last edited by shark413; 01-26-2010 at 04:20 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Are you running 4s or 3s?

RC Qualifier
    I too was looking for a black 4.1 last week and found it on LosiPartsHouse.com but it was the last one but don't get mad bcuz IMO it wasn't as stiff as I was hoping for. I'm going to try your suggestion and keep posting as I don't like the progressive's neither and would much rather a linear spring.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Racer
    I had the green Losi 2.5" springs on my front for awhile also. I eventually went to the green 2" with spacers, but can't say I feel a difference (very similar rates).

Can you tell me about the fan on your Mamba? I mounted one on my Mamba using screws that grip in between the heatsink fins (looks like what you did), but I kept having problems with the fan support that holds the blades/rotor breaking. That fan looks much more beefy, but still small.

Thanks,
    Matt

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
    Are you running 4s or 3s?
    Matt, I am currently running 3s 5000mah lipo with this motor.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtucker
    I had the green Losi 2.5" springs on my front for awhile also. I eventually went to the green 2" with spacers, but can't say I feel a difference (very similar rates).

Can you tell me about the fan on your Mamba? I mounted one on my Mamba using screws that grip in between the heatsink fins (looks like what you did), but I kept having problems with the fan support that holds the blades/rotor breaking. That fan looks much more beefy, but still small.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Hi, it is a Novak 25mm fan. I got the grill from an online PC store (don't remember which one). The grill helps keep rocks (and fingers) from hitting the fan blades. The fan comes with spacers and screws to hold it down.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ck-Cooling-Fan

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by shark413
    Hi, it is a Novak 25mm fan. I got the grill from an online PC store (don't remember which one). The grill helps keep rocks (and fingers) from hitting the fan blades. The fan comes with spacers and screws to hold it down.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ck-Cooling-Fan
    Great. Thanks for the fan info as well as the general setup info.

The Neu motors are great. Very efficient. I had one in a 1/8 buggy. It had cogging problems, but that was with the Mamba firmware from two or three years ago.

Matt

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sweet motor!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Champion
    Looks great, and glad that spring setup is workin for ya!
    The #1 Traxxas RC fan, 12 years & counting!