RC poster

Metal Servo gears for Traxxas Servos

Are there any metal gears that will go in the Traxxas servos (2055 or 2070) pretty much the same servo except the 2070 is digital. I have read the Futaba S3003 but I cannot find the metal gears anywhere. I could just bite the bullet and buy a new Hitec or Futaba, but I hate spending the $ if I don't have too.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    I doubt there are any metal gears out there that would fit in a traxxas servo.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

Better start nibbling on that bullet, I have never heard of any metal gear upgrades for the servos. Most have used the hitec that have upgraded, I still use the stock ones with a futaba servo saver.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    I would pick up some TP MG995's like these and waterproof them yourself, if need be. They're good servos with lots of torque and all metal gears.

RC poster
    Orion, yep I have seen these before but I am leary about servos that low in price. Anybody else have experience with these servos?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

RC Qualifier
    looks like a hitec housing?......
    \backslash bl
    with wide conversion

xxx-t bl

RC Qualifier
    I tried running the tower pro servos.
    They are good for nothing junk.
    Casings are weak and brittle, and the gears altho metal are weaker than the plastic gears in a stock trx servo.
    They do have good torque tho lol
    Faster Than Gum Looses Flavor

RC Qualifier
    Well, so far the TP have been good in my rock crawler. I've been running it over rocks out in the cold and no problems with the cases breaking. It looks like the same type of plastic as any other servo I've ever used. The first servo I tried was a Futaba and it didn't even last one entire run before the gears broke on a minor impact. No problems yet with the gears in the TP. Maybe you got an lower quality version or imitation TP servo...they do exist. One thing worth mentioning is that you need to be sure the servo fits the tray properly. If the reinforcement that joins the case to the tab (the angled piece) rests on the chassis even a little, the servo won't sit flat and you'll constantly be breaking servo cases. I was breaking the Traxxas servo cases every couple of weeks until I figured out this was the cause. I made the opening for the servo on my Stampede chassis a little bigger and no problems since.
    Last edited by orion1024; 01-27-2010 at 04:06 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Its not worth the money even if there was, as you would still be left with a slow servo without much torque. Those tower servo's, they are ok for the money, but they don't last. When they do work, the torque they make is decent, but they don't return to center very well.

RC poster
    Ok, well between this and everything else I have read. I think I will go with Hitec or Futaba, whichever one I can get for lower $.

RC Champion
    Another option is a JR Z650M. I ran one on my Nitro 'Pede and on my crawler too.
    [_] |||||||| [_]

RC Champion
    I'm putting a JR Z650m in my vxl. Supposed to be really good.
    Drive it like you stole it or leave it shelved

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Futaba metal gears will work with the traxxas servos. I believe Futaba makes the servos for traxxas since there are a lot of similarities between them.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC poster
    george16-Do you happen to have a model #?? It appears from pics I have seen the 3305 gears will work.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    3305 is a direct fit.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx